Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: In a race, which car would you take?
New Mazda3Speed 1 5.88%
New Honda Civic Si 0 0%
New VW GTI 9 52.94%
New Mini-S 0 0%
Dodge Neon SRT-4 5 29.41%
Chevy Cobalt SS 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #16
BurntGauge
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BurntGauge
Re: New Mazda3Speed, New Civic Si, New VW GTI, Chevy Cobalt SS,Dodge Neon SRT-4, New

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRYDERVR4
is it just the cobalt ss or the ss/sc?
if it's just the ss i'd go with the si but if its the ss/sc that will be a hard one!!!
I'd assume it was the SS/SC.

Gabriel

http://www.freewebs.com/burntgauge

BurntGauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 AM   #17
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Re: New Mazda3Speed, New Civic Si, New VW GTI, Chevy Cobalt SS,Dodge Neon SRT-4, New Mini

Of course
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #18
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: New Mazda3Speed, New Civic Si, New VW GTI, Chevy Cobalt SS,Dodge Neon SRT-4, New

I'm sorry but you can't the bang for the buck of the SRT-4 and if you get an ACR it will out handle any car on the list except maybe the Mini. A close second would go to the Mazda Speed 3.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #19
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: New Mazda3Speed, New Civic Si, New VW GTI, Chevy Cobalt SS,Dodge Neon SRT-4, New Mini

Mazda3- the Mazdaspeed (Or MPS as we know it here) has massive torque steer issues, so stay clear if you don't know what you're doing.

Civic- Bland, but reliable and pretty quick, should handle OK, but Honda has been going downhill massively in this department of late, not helped by thier vague lifeless steering.

VW- massively entertaining, very well built and very comfortable and practical, bit porky though

MINI- the most fun if you can live without the practicality.

SRT4- getting on now, I'd say that most would have been thrashed mercilessly. Not as good as the Euro options IMHO. Were good in thier day though

Cobalt- Drove an SS, hated it, to say it is an improvement on the Cavalier is like saying a Fiat Uno is a pretty nice step up from a Yugo.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #20
BurntGauge
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
I'm sorry but you can't the bang for the buck of the SRT-4 and if you get an ACR it will out handle any car on the list except maybe the Mini. A close second would go to the Mazda Speed 3.
Yeah but overall the quality of the interior is very lacking and the styling inside and out is boring and uninspired. I am not sure of the reliablility but that's something also to consider.

Gabriel

Old 09-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #21
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntGauge
Yeah but overall the quality of the interior is very lacking and the styling inside and out is boring and uninspired. I am not sure of the reliablility but that's something also to consider.
I can't argue with you there. However, you can't have it all. It is a cheap speed car. You can't have a fast luxery car for around $22,000.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #22
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm

Quote:
reliability seems to be good if it's driven like a neon,, but considering most of the parts (including the chasis) are from a stock neon, they tend to have issues when driven really hard.
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #23
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

You people obviously don't read. It says which one would you take in a RACE. And then all ya'll pick the GTI even though you say it's not the fastest. Wouldn't you want the fastest car in a RACE????

Stock SRT-4 or MS3 would obviously be the fastest in any racing situation not sure which of these two would be the fastest.
2005 Nissan Frontier ext cab 4x4 4.0L-Sold
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500r-Sold
2004 Yamaha FZ1 Silver/Black- Sold
2008 Mazdaspeed 3-In the driveway
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #24
BurntGauge
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamehonda
You people obviously don't read. It says which one would you take in a RACE. And then all ya'll pick the GTI even though you say it's not the fastest. Wouldn't you want the fastest car in a RACE????

Stock SRT-4 or MS3 would obviously be the fastest in any racing situation not sure which of these two would be the fastest.
Regardless of what the OP said, I think you cant live your life in a RACE. You're going to have to live w/the car and none of these are just weekend only cars...they make great daily drivers. So based on that...the GTI is the reason it comes out the winner. It's the most liveable, practical, best interior, and good all arounder.

Gabriel

Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #25
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Regardless of what the OP said, I think you cant live your life in a RACE.
which is why I tend to ignore these sort of comparisons; they often bear very little resemblance to the real world choices. I mean, If $22,000 is your budget, there are better ways to win a race.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #26
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Like a used stang or f-body camaro. For 22k, you would make any of these cars look silly at the strip.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #27
BurntGauge
AF Newbie

Quote:
Like a used stang or f-body camaro. For 22k, you would make any of these cars look silly at the strip.
See but now you're just getting outside the given parameters. You're choosing cars that are not on the list. Plus Stangs or F-bodys cant really turn...lol.

Gabriel

Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #28
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

You guys already wandered outside the parameters when you made interior an issue in a race. Who said anything about turns??
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #29
BurntGauge
AF Newbie

Quote:
You guys already wandered outside the parameters when you made interior an issue in a race. Who said anything about turns??
Who said anything about used cars? YOU!

Gabriel

Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #30
originalKyotE
AF Newbie

well I like the GTI just hurd that the years I was looking just seem a little to hard to handle maitnence wise. according to others. The si since it is a civic made by honda it is gonna have a lot of support. Mini being a BMW is gonna go like a euro car. honestly I hate neons and preformance or not it is still a neon. a fast neon but a neon. just means your insurance is gonna be that much higher. I like the mazdas. they really do seem to put some raceing knowledge into the cars they make. But as down as I am with imports I would love to have a ss/sc. I love the ecotech engine in general. with the new GM upgrader you can make it to 300 with little money. It did take FWD as one of the fastest cars around. of course that was totaly modified. but still. I will have to go with the cobalt.

edit: And if someone can give me personal experience on say something like a 2002-03 GTI on how hard it is to maintain I would love it. I just hear a lot on maitnence and don't want to fork over 9k on it if that is the case. VR6 is what I am after due to 200 hp.
originalKyotE is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD