Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #76
blackstang04
AF Newbie
 
blackstang04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hialeah, Florida
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to blackstang04
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
so lets just agree to disagree!
Did anyone miss that?
__________________

3.9L automatic V6 Coupe
Dual Flowmaster Exhaust
Cold Air Intake
SCT Xcal-V2 tuned
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
blackstang04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #77
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast
 
blakscorpion21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: cleveland, Tennessee
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BlackTransAm
i always thought the srt-4 had the same engine as the stock neon, but that was just an assumption based on what i've heard. sti's/evo's are good comparisons because they both have slower versions of those same cars too. srt-4>neon, evo>lancer, and sti>non-sti wrx.

is an 03/04 cobra considered a mustang?
yea i wasnt thinking about cobras, those would def. be nice to have.

i think that with the stage 2 mopar upgrade, some technical goodies, and an awd system the srt-4 would be a good match for the evo and sti.
__________________
blakscorpion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:15 AM   #78
kevinthenerd
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

1. Honda Civic (It's the most popular in a range of cars I hate that are underpowered, slow, and with poor handling. Everybody says they're bullet-proof, but they have common problems that people have learned to ignore because of what the magazines feed them about what build quality should be about.)
2. Cadillac Escalade (It's a big bling-mobile that people use to show off their money. There's no reason for a 6L motor because the rest of the car obviously wasn't designed for acceleration. It's just a waste to cover up for such weight.)
3. The new VW Beetle. It's just a FWD Golf, and it has nothing of the "folk's wagon" feel of a cheap, functional car. It's trying too hard to compete with more expensive models, losing its character in the process.
4. Mazda MPV. It has no power, and the front seats are the most uncomfortable pieces of furniture that I've ever used in my life. If you take the seats out and put anything in it (like back when I was moving into a dorm), you have to totally floor it to have any chance of highway merging.
5. Chevy Aveo. It was GM's sorry attempt to make a car as cheap as the Koreans do. GM has to realize that those engineers didn't come from the fast food culture of throwing out stuff after using it once.
__________________

kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #79
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast
 
mason_RsX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenerd
5. Chevy Aveo. It was GM's sorry attempt to make a car as cheap as the Koreans do. GM has to realize that those engineers didn't come from the fast food culture of throwing out stuff after using it once.
Isn't the Aveo just a Daewoo, which would actually make it at Korean car? Correct me if I am wrong

And by that criticizm you should also not like the Honda Fit, or Toyota Yaris, which are both really popular right now...At least in Canada...we think smaller
__________________


2002 Acura RSX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGNAL748
I have an outrageously large penis.
mason_RsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #80
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast
 
blakscorpion21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: cleveland, Tennessee
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenerd
1. Honda Civic (It's the most popular in a range of cars I hate that are underpowered, slow, and with poor handling. Everybody says they're bullet-proof, but they have common problems that people have learned to ignore because of what the magazines feed them about what build quality should be about.)
2. Cadillac Escalade (It's a big bling-mobile that people use to show off their money. There's no reason for a 6L motor because the rest of the car obviously wasn't designed for acceleration. It's just a waste to cover up for such weight.)
3. The new VW Beetle. It's just a FWD Golf, and it has nothing of the "folk's wagon" feel of a cheap, functional car. It's trying too hard to compete with more expensive models, losing its character in the process.
4. Mazda MPV. It has no power, and the front seats are the most uncomfortable pieces of furniture that I've ever used in my life. If you take the seats out and put anything in it (like back when I was moving into a dorm), you have to totally floor it to have any chance of highway merging.
5. Chevy Aveo. It was GM's sorry attempt to make a car as cheap as the Koreans do. GM has to realize that those engineers didn't come from the fast food culture of throwing out stuff after using it once.

i dont know on what planet the civic is unreliable, casuse here on earth it will outlast most cars on the road. not to mention the civic si is fairly quick and handles pretty good.
__________________
blakscorpion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #81
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast
 
98BlackTransAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 624
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

one of the civic's main strongpoints is its mpg. and they're a very reliable car (my gf has one) just not stellar when it comes to performance. throwing a wing and a WAI on it doesnt make it a race car like fast and the furious has lead so many ignorant ppl to believe.
__________________
2002 Firehawk (M6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XKnrV7c_Bs
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports


1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #82
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast
 
blakscorpion21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: cleveland, Tennessee
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

yea, blame the people and the movie, not the car.
__________________
blakscorpion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #83
kevinthenerd
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakscorpion21
i dont know on what planet the civic is unreliable, casuse here on earth it will outlast most cars on the road. not to mention the civic si is fairly quick and handles pretty good.
I never said it was unreliable. I just said it has its own problems and that it's not the supercar of longevity that people make it out to be. One of my favorite common problems is that, over a relatively short amount of time, the shift lever really feels like it's not connected to anything (despite the fact that it still works). I also hate these cars because of the crowded engine bays (which is fairly common among front-wheel-drive econoboxes) and the tiny passenger compartment obviously not designed by a team of men 6 feet tall. Lastly, for what you get, they're overpriced when compared to the competition.
__________________

kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #84
kevinthenerd
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

I think the Civic is overpriced. Let's compare the MSRPs for base models. Wouldn't you agree that these are comparable models? It's not like I'm throwing the Kia Rio, the Chevy Aveo, or the Hyundai Accent into the mix.

Honda Civic - $14 760
Toyota Corolla - $14 105
Hyundai Elantra - $13 865
Chevrolet Cobalt - $13 590
Kia Spectra - $13 475
Saturn ION - $12 490

The Saturn might be the lowest here due to "no haggle" pricing.
__________________

kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 AM   #85
kevinthenerd
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason_RsX
Isn't the Aveo just a Daewoo, which would actually make it at Korean car? Correct me if I am wrong

And by that criticizm you should also not like the Honda Fit, or Toyota Yaris, which are both really popular right now...At least in Canada...we think smaller
GM owns Daewoo, so that makes perfect sense. It's actually sold in South Korea as a Daewoo Kalos. More information can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Daewoo
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aveo

I've driven it, and I still say the car sucks. It would have been 10 times more fun to drive with a slightly lower center of gravity and a little less weight up front (or more weight in the back).
__________________

kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #86
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast
 
pimprolla112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: mechanicsville, Maryland
Posts: 1,424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

If you do notice that out of the cars you listed the most reliable are the most expensive. Seriously because a common prolem you consider is the shifter doesnt feel like its attached to anything. WTF, ive seen bigger problems with other cars, that are more common and work out to be a bigger problem. No matter what you say the point is the civic/corolla are 2 of the most reliable cars ever made, in fact if i can find the video of the civic that being run with water in the crankcase that seriously wont die. I highly doubt you could do that with a kia, or a hyundai.

ANd saturns have had there nice list of problems in the past and now. And a side note you do knoe that gm uses a honda motor in one of there smaller suvs and i believe saturn uses it to. And when your talking reliability ALL cars have there problems, and civic seem to more of a function problem than mechanical. And mechanical problems are what more people look at. So in agreeing with you no car is perfect, not even a $600k ferrari, lambo is free from defects.
__________________
Cant remember who posted it but if you see it give yourself credit

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 PM   #87
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast
 
blakscorpion21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: cleveland, Tennessee
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenerd
I think the Civic is overpriced. Let's compare the MSRPs for base models. Wouldn't you agree that these are comparable models? It's not like I'm throwing the Kia Rio, the Chevy Aveo, or the Hyundai Accent into the mix.

Honda Civic - $14 760
Toyota Corolla - $14 105
Hyundai Elantra - $13 865
Chevrolet Cobalt - $13 590
Kia Spectra - $13 475
Saturn ION - $12 490

The Saturn might be the lowest here due to "no haggle" pricing.
just because theyre in the same class dont mean you are getting the same quality. that 2000 extra bucks will pay off when your saturn is falling apart and the civic is still going strong. you see the price cutting in crappy interiors and being more problematic. the cars are cheaper for a reason.
__________________
blakscorpion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #88
most_wanted192000
AF Newbie
 
most_wanted192000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: san antonio, Texas
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Shoot i once had a 93 civic ex that thing got the best mpg and was pretty reliable until it overheated and there went the reliability, but it had over 200K and not once messed up the yrs i drove it. Although it could have used more Hp it was slooowwwwww but hey i was getting 30+ mpg so i wasnt complaining at all Heck i wish i had another one.
most_wanted192000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #89
kevinthenerd
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimprolla112
ANd saturns have had there nice list of problems in the past and now. And a side note you do knoe that gm uses a honda motor in one of there smaller suvs and i believe saturn uses it to.
The ION is mostly Opel from what I hear. The ECOTEC is anything but Honda. As far as the transmissions go, the 03-04 automatics were Aisin, and the 03+ manuals are Getrag.

When you stop to think that the sticker price of two or three cars can add up to a single engineer's salary, you realize that with the vast quantity of cars these companies are making, "engineering expertise" costs rather little. I know nobody will agree with me when I say this, but I'll say it anyway: It's obvious to me that the Civic is sold with higher profit margins than these other cars. Look at GM's Saturn ION: The company is going to hell, and the Spring Hill, TN plant where the cars are made drastically cut its production. I think the ION is being killed in favor of a rebadged Astra.
__________________

kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #90
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit
 
drunken monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: london
Posts: 5,863
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Re: 5 cars you hate the most

eh?
you think that GM equivilant cars not costing as much as a honda civic is the reason why they are going to hell?
has it ever occured to you that the civic is simply worth the extra money and the equivilant GM cars aren't?
i also guess you don't like the new mini then.
or the golf.
or bmw 1 series.
or audi a3.
£18,000 for a focus st?
£16,000 for a renault clio?

if the honda civic is overpriced, then those cars must be absolute rip-offs.
__________________
AF's Guidelines

Read them.

__________________


Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts