Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > General Tools
General Tools Discussions about tools - there are thousands of various tools you can use to work on your car. Do you have the right one for the job?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
nomaxtech
AF Newbie

Question Impact Wrench Advice Needed

I'm looking to buy an impact wrench. I have a butterfly style one but it's not working anymore so I'm in the market for a new one. I'm not a heavy duty mechanic but I often do the backyard stuff for myself and friends. I need it mostly for removing tires but I'm sure I'll get use out if it elsewhere from time to time. My question is, which drive size and torque rating would you recommend? I don't want to spend? I tend to keep my eyes open on Craigslist but I'm not sure what's reasonable. I see they go from anywhere between $130 to $600 at Sears brand new. Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jim
nomaxtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
wafrederick
Banned

Re: Impact Wrench Advice Needed

Buy an Ingersall Rand,you cannot kill them and run forever.The anvils do wear out on Ingersall Rands due to use.Plus they are easy and simple to fix.The parts for an Ingersall Rand are not cheap.Avoid a Snap On and Blue Point(Snap On's cheap brand),wimpy and no power at all.My father tried one,a big POS and it had to be sent in to get fixed.The cheap ones at most junk tool sales are avoid also.The general rule is you get what you paid for.A 1/2 drive is great for removing lug nuts.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

OK, this sounds like a right topic to ask my question.
What are supposed to be torque specs for a functional impact wrench?
I have a set, with socket wrench and air chisel and impact wrench from HFT - impact wrench is useless at 100 flb torque.
I bought Husky one with 375 flb of torque 2 days ago - returned it same day. barely does a lug nut on my son's Eclipse, won't even budge one on my Silverado. And I do them easy by hand.
So, what is it supposed to be to work? I have 30gall compressor that runs 120psi and over 5cfsm of air, that is well over required specs for those wrenches.
We had to swap driveaxle on a Honda 3 weeks ago, nut was so torqued, that we could not break it loose even with long cheatbar and standing on it. Guy at tire shop snapped it loose with one impact wrench shot. What am I missing?

I guess, I found the answer:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t941...endations.html

basically, go 3/4 drive and 1000 flb torque. craigslist. got it.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
stoned_pimp420
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stoned_pimp420

I'm with wafredrick on this subject I just purchased today as a matter of a fact a 3/8" IR titianium composite impact tax and all off the tooltruck 197 and change 300 lb-ft as soon as i got back in the shop i most of the way pulled the trans and clutch out of a freightliner got a few bolts left before it's on the ground but it didn't strain a bit, i love it! I also have a IR 1/2" that has broken many a 3/4" studs without problem.

IR the way to go!!!

If you can't be a good example, you can always be a horrible warning!
stoned_pimp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
faction
AF Newbie

I would have to say Ingersol Rand aswell, I have one given to me by a older mechanic it must be 10+ years old atleast, runs great, never a problem, lots of power, 1/2 drive would be a good suggestion, probably go with the longer anvil on yours if your doing tires?
faction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Poff
AF Newbie

You can get a nice IR 2130 composite gun online for $200 and for a little more a titanium model. I have a 1/2" and 3/4" IR composite and they work great. I have an old 231 that I have had for 20 years and it works great, just had to rebuild it a couple times.
Poff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
ccoatney
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Impact Wrench Advice Needed

Hey Jim, I have an Ingersoll Rand Impact Wrench model # 231c that I used for 10 years and just got the IR 232TGSL called the Thunder Gun a couple of years back and it's an awesome gun for tires. I searched around for all long time, but they always come out with better ones every year or so. I would try looking for reviews on the kind of tool in question because a ton of the dealers out there like snap-on, matco, mac, etc, ect... sometime don't know what they're talking about. They just want to sell you a tool. hope that helps...
Attached Images
File Type: png Ingersoll Rand Impact Wrench 232TGSL.png (68.1 KB, 1 views)
ccoatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
RobGibbs
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poff View Post
You can get a nice IR 2130 composite gun online for $200 and for a little more a titanium model. I have a 1/2" and 3/4" IR composite and they work great. I have an old 231 that I have had for 20 years and it works great, just had to rebuild it a couple times.
Yeah, the IR 2130 series is really popular, as is the 2135TiMAX. Both are 1/2" drive but the 2135TiMAX is lighter and more compact due to its titanium(Ti) casing. It also has enhanced controls for greater precision when tightening.

Another thing to consider is that the 2135TiMAX is covered by a full 2-year warranty(MAX), rather the limited 1-year warranty supplied with the 2130 (although most people describe them as "bullet-proof" so this shouldn't really be an issue).

Both guns are best sellers on Amazon.com and, at around 50% RRP, they're incredibly good value. We've reviewed both on our website (including real customer reviews) if you're interested to find out more about them.

Both reviews can be found here: http://impact-wrench-reviews.com/tag/ingersoll-rand/

Rob.
RobGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
RobGibbs
AF Newbie

Also meant to say, if anyone is looking for general information regarding impact wrenches, we're building a free resource at http://impact-wrench-reviews.blogspot.com.

The first article is essentially a buyers guide, which I thought might be useful here.

Cheers, Rob.
RobGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #10
simoncarguy
AF Newbie

The Ingersoll Rand 2130 is a special piece of kit, when used with the correctly set air compressor. I found a recent review on http://airimpactwrenchguide.com/inge...wrench-review/.

You can easily pick up a model online for under $200 that should last you years. There are alternatives to the IR 2130 including the 2135TiMAX that is covered a 2 year warranty.
simoncarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
jerryg2112
AF Regular

I have a Power Force impact and air ratchet made by Ingersoll Rand. I bought it at Walmart several years ago. I think it was IR's cheap line. Rated at 450 lbs. I don't think they sell them anymore. It's worked well for me and has lasted 10 years of occasional use. If you see used for a good price I would recommend.
A couple of things to remember. You need at least 90 psi at the tool or it will not have the power that it is rated for. Also oil daily or the tool will not work as well as it is rated. And use a torque wrench to torque your lug nuts when installing not the impact gun.

Last edited by jerryg2112; 02-13-2014 at 12:51 PM.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I have 30gall compressor that runs 120psi and over 5cfsm of air, that is well over required specs for those wrenches...

...basically, go 3/4 drive and 1000 flb torque. craigslist. got it.
Hell, no.

You don't have anywhere near enough compressed air. Pressure in the air tank is NOT the same as pressure AT THE TOOL, WITH THE TOOL RUNNING. The air hose, and especially the quick-couplers will greatly reduce the pressure and volume of air getting to the tool. I used to have a 20-gallon compressor with 120 psi in the tank, it would run an air hammer for about three seconds before the pressure dropped low enough that the compressor kicked-on at 100 psi in the tank. 100 psi in the tank is perhaps 60 or 70 at the tool. Not enough for full power.

I now have a big compressor. I regulate the air supply to 130-ish psi into the air hose to get 90 psi at the tool. I use a 3/8 impact wrench to remove lug nuts. 1/2" impact is popular for this application, but any decent 3/8 has enough power IF YOU SUPPLY ENOUGH AIR.

It's entirely possible that you'd get more power from a QUALITY 3/8" impact than a cheap 1/2" impact because your compressor might supply enough air for the 3/8, where it won't keep up with a 1/2".
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > General Tools