Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #16
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm
Re: 10k car ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce957
My focus recently has been a 240sx. I can get one for about 2-3k max, and its rwd with tons of options. I was thinking about an sr20 swap, if anyone has pros/cons/info about the car or engine it would def be appreciated. Is it better to stick the KA or try out an RB or I've even heard people putting in ls1's... What I'm aiming for now would be a max of 350whp. Installation isn't a problem since my friend is pretty knowledgeable and we would be doing it ourselves.
you thought about a TT 300zx? seems to fit in your price range from what I found on autotrader, plus the styling is much better than the 240's (imho). granted the base cost is probably gonna be more expensive and therefore less $$ for mods,, but you'll have a high 13/low 14 second car to work with as opposed to one that runs solid 16's. i guess it all depends on what exactly you wanna do.
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #17
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Your only limiting factor on the 3S is the fact that you might not be able to find one close by. I couldn't and I looked for months. I live in Utah and ended up shipping mine from Michigan.

As for the TD, you might not be able to find one close by but maybe I can source one for you. Once again, I had to go out of state for mine. Ohio to be exact. I took me over a year to find it but I got lucky and bought it for $600. It drove all the way home and I could DD it if I wanted to. Then again they only made 1,033 of mine.

Where are you located? Also, is the Daytona the only TD you want? I can show you some more TDs I also might be able to find you a 3S.

Yeah, I havent seen anything around these parts for that cheap ever with a 3s. Never seen a TD either. The Daytona isn't the only one I would be interested in, I just liked that styling the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRYDERVR4
your talking about the sr20det or is it sr20dett don't know to much about engine names let alone a certain make. but anyways is it the S15 engine because i heard if you get a front clip of an S15 you can just take the engine and parts from that and it will just drop right in. and you can give the 240 the s15 front end which looks badass. and about the RB i read that it takes alot of work to get it in. like some guy wrote an artical about his swap process and basicly put every detail in the artical ( it was long as hell), but anyways it ended up being that he need parts from a 300ZX since he didn't have a skyline to part out and he used parts from a G35 and 350z. in the artical he made it sound hard but i'm sure there are easier ways.
I believe you can get the clip from a skyline as well and swap it in, however I'm sure thats more money and more work...

Quote:
You'd be talking about the SR20DET, it only has one turbo. Two T's would suggest it has two like the RB26DETT. That is your best option with a 240 since the truck motor that comes in the American version doesn't take nearly as well to mods. Also, there are a ton of kits to DIY or there are comapnies that will swap it for you.
Yeah, my friend says not to stick with the KA, but then I see someone like nissanfanatic who has about 500whp with it so I'm not really sure why not stick with that motor. Is it more labor intensive or more cost to turbo that motor and get power of out it? I wouldn't get a company to swap anything, me and some friends would do it. Def saves on money

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BlackTransAm
you thought about a TT 300zx? seems to fit in your price range from what I found on autotrader, plus the styling is much better than the 240's (imho). granted the base cost is probably gonna be more expensive and therefore less $$ for mods,, but you'll have a high 13/low 14 second car to work with as opposed to one that runs solid 16's. i guess it all depends on what exactly you wanna do.
I am a fan of the 300zx's for sure, havent looked at the prices recently but I remember last i checked the only ones i could find with good mileage at this price were the NA models. I agree that the styling is better. If I could find one around here TT for a good price and mileage it would probably be my first or second choice.

Im still holding out for a low mileage trans am ls1 (preferably ws.6) . I've wanted that as a car ever since I had a permit
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:43 AM   #18
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Yeah, I havent seen anything around these parts for that cheap ever with a 3s. Never seen a TD either. The Daytona isn't the only one I would be interested in, I just liked that styling the best.
Well, let me know which ones you'd be interested and where you are and I can try to find you some cars.

Quote:
Yeah, my friend says not to stick with the KA, but then I see someone like nissanfanatic who has about 500whp with it so I'm not really sure why not stick with that motor. Is it more labor intensive or more cost to turbo that motor and get power of out it? I wouldn't get a company to swap anything, me and some friends would do it. Def saves on money
Well, it just isn't easy, or inexpensive, to get that much power out of the KA reliably. It is easier and cheaper to use the SR20. Plus, they have kits that are cake to put in.

Quote:
I am a fan of the 300zx's for sure, havent looked at the prices recently but I remember last i checked the only ones i could find with good mileage at this price were the NA models. I agree that the styling is better. If I could find one around here TT for a good price and mileage it would probably be my first or second choice.
I can guarantee a Fairlady will cost you more than a 3S. I know, I looked at buying both when I got my Stealth. The Fairlady was always more.

Also, if you want cheap power, the C4 Vette isn't a bad way to go. I've seen them over here for under $10k. Then again, a lot of people don't like the C4, but I do, more than the C5 and C6.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons