Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 08:10 PM   #1
cracker196
AF Regular

Question about high-octane gas...

I have seen various aftermarket parts that say they require high octane gas. I have only seen up to 91 octane gas at stations but have seen parts that require 94 octane gas. Where do you find this type of gasoline. I know racing engines use very high octane gas like around 100, so does this mean that you must only use these parts at a track where you can find that type of gas or what. Basically, for people who buy those parts and use them, where do they get the gas to run their engines?
cracker196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:56 PM   #2
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
In Japan, they typically use higher octane gasoline than we do. So many parts, if they are for a Japanese car, will "require" very high octane gas that is available at the pumps in Japan. However, you can get octane booster here. I'm not quite sure how it works or how exactly you use it, but if you fill up with 91 and pour a bottle of octane booster into the tank with the gas, I guess it boosts the octane higher than 91.

Old 09-23-2001, 11:07 PM   #3
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
here in oregon we have 92 octane. the additives usually boost octane between 5 and 7 points of octane. You can go to to places where they sell Avgas which is 105 ocatne, the same as racing fuel and runn about5 gallons to a full tank of premeum. Boosts it some

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 11:11 AM   #4
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

The octane rating in gasoline is the resistance to knock. When and engine knocks, the gas is exploding instead of burning. High octane gas doesn't mean more performance, but is necessary in high compression engines. And since most high performance engines are high compression also, the high octane gas is given a high performance designation. BTW I saw an 89' Dodge Caravan run a quarter mile in under 13 seconds with the 4 cylinder Mitsu engine. He had the boost up to around 20 psi so to make sure the engine didn't knock, he used 105 octane gas.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:33 PM   #5
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
105 octane, wow

Yeah, most people don't realize that the higher the octane, the less explosive the gasoline is....most people assume that it gives a bigger bang.

Old 10-24-2001, 11:13 AM   #6
AbsurdParadox
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to AbsurdParadox
I've found ONE place here in Wichita KS that has "Super Premium" which has an octane rating of 94. Can't remember the name of the place, or what chain it was with, but I'll come back and let you guys know sometime, especially if its a national chain.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:06 AM   #7
Seabass
AF Newbie

Here is Omaha all you can get is 91. I did finally find one gas station (right by my house too lol) that sells 92 octane. There are two in town that sell race gas. 105 and 115. 115 is leaded though so bye bye cats and O2s.
Alot of my friends run blowers and turbos and have knock sensors. So on the street they run regular premium gas and at the strip they run race gas. The knock sensor will retard timing on the street if it senses any detonation and will keep it at bay. Then at the strip the run the higher octane because that's what their car was tuned for.
I have the ability to retard my timing by the flip of a switch in my dash. Flip down...bingo...10 degrees down. Flip up MBT (Max Base Timing). When I get back to the US and my buddy and I rebuild my motor and install my blower then I'll have the ability to tune the car on the fly with my laptop. (neato eh?).

Seabass
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 11:26 AM   #8
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Well, here in Utah I did see 105 at a gas station. I have to put 91 in my daily driver otherwise it knocks. If I have the notion sometimes I put 120 "which is the most I have seen for a street car" and go have some fun or to the track.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 07:50 AM   #9
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Wow, seabass you really have a sweet setup! I know I'm jealous!!!
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 01:11 PM   #10
Seabass
AF Newbie

It's just alot of headache and work. Nothing to be jealous of. Now unfortunatly I'm looking for a new job so I have to defer my blower/engine plans.

Seabass
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote