Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 09:48 AM   #1
Gotmud
AF Newbie

Sway away vs NisMo torsion bar question?

I've heard many say the Swayaway and the NisMo are one in the same, but when I look for the specs for each I see that the NisMo is 27.48 mm dia while the Sway Away are 26 mm dia, and I think stock is around 24 point something... So which way is the way to go? I added an ARB and Bilsteins and a winch is in the next 12 month's. Is there a part # for the 27.48 Sway Aways?

Thanx!
Gotmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 12:53 PM   #2
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

EOE

Todd at EOE can set you up with a set!

http://www.extreme4x4parts.com/
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 03:31 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the precise measurement was done by Carlton, and the other was a company dimension. Thus the reason for the difference.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 08:31 AM   #4
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

I remember someone measuring them as well, I do believe that was Carlton. They are the same bars though, I'm almost positive Carlton bought his through XterraParts as the Nismo bars and they have the Powerbarz(Sway Away)logo on them.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 10:32 AM   #5
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

They are the same bars.

'Powerbarz" by Sway-A-Way, also sold by Nissan Motorsports.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 06:11 PM   #6
Aussie
AF Regular

What brand do SLR sell? If different, what is the difference? They are almost twice the cost of EOE.

Thanks
Richard
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 06:51 PM   #7
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

SLR makes their own. The metal is supposed to have a better "memory" and flatten out slower. I don't know anybody who has them yet.

I did note they just listed that they will make the diamerter "to order"
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:36 PM   #8
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

Did you ask Ian?

XOC (Ian) has them included in his SLR stage III lift.
SLR 3" Lift, SLR IV Intake, SLR Steering Stabilizer, 32" BFG MT km's, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Gibson Exhaust, Custom Rock Sliders, Custom Safari Rack, CO2 Air Tank, Daylighters, CB, with more to come.
Craigs_Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:45 PM   #9
imcougar
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to imcougar
Hey guys,
is it NECESSARY to update my torsion bars if i plan to have a winch(warn 9500i)? I meant i know it's better to upgrade but is it really necessary? what brand of torsion bars do you recommand?
Old 11-28-2001, 06:29 PM   #10
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Well nothing is necessary...

But for the most part a winch means you're getting a bull bar. Those two items add about 140lbs to the very front of your vehicle. The stock torsion bars and shocks weren't designed for the extra weight and extra abuse a truck using those mods brings with it.

You can always go for a while without upgrading the bars, but right after adding the winch you'll notice the front end is lower, and you'll have a lot of nose dive on braking and cornering. The heavy duty torsion bars eliminates this.

The Sway-away bars are fine. I wish someone would drop the extra cash for the SLR'S so we had something to compare to. But for now I know the Sway-aways work fine for most of the winch/arb owners out there. Although we haven't had them long enough to vouch for their lifespan.

BTW a XD9000i won't fit in a ARB. The open top of the Calmini probably allows for that winch though.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:49 PM   #11
imcougar
AF Newbie

Schludwiller,

i am trying not to get a bull bar b/c i want my winch to be portable (front or rear). if i do decide to change my vehicle a few years down the road, i would like to move my winch to new suv/truck.
my only concern is that when i have my winch put on, would it do any kind of damage on the torsion bar or suspension part?!?
yeah i saw that SLR torsion bar, they are twice more expensive than others. so far, i haven't found out the difference yet. If it's really that great, i might just spend the extra money and get it.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:30 PM   #12
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

IMCougar

You won't break anything...just wear the shocks out faster, Schlud said the T-bars and shocks aren't ready for theat extra 140+ lbs. My stock shocks were crap after 25k miles. And I didn't have an ARB or Skid Row Skidplates yet. I still don't know how your gonna have a winch part of the time on the front without an aftermarket bumper or Warn brushguard?
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 07:42 PM   #13
imcougar
AF Newbie

Re: IMCougar

Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr
You won't break anything...just wear the shocks out faster, Schlud said the T-bars and shocks aren't ready for theat extra 140+ lbs. My stock shocks were crap after 25k miles. And I didn't have an ARB or Skid Row Skidplates yet. I still don't know how your gonna have a winch part of the time on the front without an aftermarket bumper or Warn brushguard?
rrdstarr,

warn sells portable winch carrier, you can find it at:Warn Multi-Mount it hooks up to your tow hitch. I am getting a front receiver/hitch and a portable winch carrier. so if i can move my winch anytime i want.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:26 PM   #14
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

hellooooo

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
I wish someone would drop the extra cash for the SLR'S so we had something to compare to.
Schlud, I guess you never read my previous post, or chose to ignore it. Here it is again.

"XOC (Ian) has them included in his SLR stage III lift".

So why don't you ask him how he likes them, or are you guys not speaking? hehe
SLR 3" Lift, SLR IV Intake, SLR Steering Stabilizer, 32" BFG MT km's, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Gibson Exhaust, Custom Rock Sliders, Custom Safari Rack, CO2 Air Tank, Daylighters, CB, with more to come.
Craigs_Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 09:47 PM   #15
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: hellooooo

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka
Schlud, I guess you never read my previous post, or chose to ignore it. Here it is again.

"XOC (Ian) has them included in his SLR stage III lift".

So why don't you ask him how he likes them, or are you guys not speaking? hehe
XOC is always welcome to share his modification experiences with the board.