Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
fungologist
AF Newbie

why old cars are expensive?

Because are classics? or just antiques
fungologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: why old cars are expensive?

I remember back in the '80s when the price of older cars started to rise dramatically. Some people blamed Yuppies buying them for things like status symbols, and others blamed baby boomers willing to pay higher prices to recapture a part of their youth.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
akboss
AF Regular

Because they aren't making them anymore. High demand and low supply drives up cost like nothing else - that's why waterfront properties are worth more! And also like waterfront properties, the view is much, much better Seen a lot of retro cars from Detroit lately? Its because the originals were gorgeous.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Also, a lot of those that remain are being shipped out of the country to collectors, contributing to the lower supply mentioned in the above post.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
teendriver
AF Newbie

Old cars are more expensive because as time passes they become more rare and as the demand rises, the prices naturally increases.
teendriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

The prices of old cars went down for a couple years now,becuase of our lousy economy.I know a guy that took down 13 cars to Auburn and sold 3 of them for the Labor Day auction during Labor Day weekend.The Labor Day auction at Kruse was not good,not lots of cars this year and not a lot of cars sold.If a Cuda,Challenger or Charger has a Hemi,a hundred grand and more.Classic Fords do not bring lots of money,you can buy them cheap and I have seen proof
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

heres how it goes, A car comes out in say 1980, 3,000 are purchased in the USA. within 5 years say 800 of them are either totaled broken down or parted out.
within 10 years 1500 have had the same fate (total).
then today (29 years later) 2,000-2,500 of these cars are no longer on the road. The demand rises and, depending on which car, their popularity may rise.

Not to mention at about year 6-10 mechanical issues start to form. Transmissions go out and all that good stuff. by the time the car is 20 years old it's formed some serious issues and is more expensive to maintain

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
wafrederick
Banned

The cars from the 50s,60s and 70s were junk right at 100,000 miles and the bodies fell apart.1958 Chevy Impalas were this way,rusted out at the headlight buckets and there are not many of them left.The most expensive ones were owned by celebrities.I seen Marilyn Monroe's Cadillac go just over $202,000.00 at Auburn last year and it was not restored
Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

You really are just retarded lol sorry, but c'mon. You used marilyn monroes caddy as an example of a general sale price of a car. Seriously dude.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
wafrederick
Banned

I am not kidding,it went for that money which a buyer from Missouri bought it and I am not retarded.I know a guy in Muskegon,Mi that has cars that were owned by celebrities including an AMC Pacer which was owned by deceasead country singer Conway Twitty with proof,a picture of Conway sitting on the left fender.I have seen this car and many more in this collection which were ownded by celebrities.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
I am not kidding,it went for that money which a buyer from Missouri bought it and I am not retarded.I know a guy in Muskegon,Mi that has cars that were owned by celebrities including an AMC Pacer which was owned by deceasead country singer Conway Twitty with proof,a picture of Conway sitting on the left fender.I have seen this car and many more in this collection which were ownded by celebrities.
My point was not that it wasn't marilyn's car. It was that you used that as a general example, I honestly don't care about one guy you know that sells celebrities cars.

So yea your still retarded

Quote:
Your quote here!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General