Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
D9esco
AF Newbie

First time car buyer

Im looking to buy a truck or a car. Im interested in something that is reliable and can haul a lot of weight, and travel long distances. I don't own much, but if I buy something reliable then over time throughout my life id expect it to work when im ready to move everything I own to a new location. My price range is between 5 to 20 grand, please begin with the lower costing vehicles.
D9esco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
paulfromoh
AF Newbie

Several things... 5-20k is a HUGE price range when talking about vehicles. And any vehicle bought now won't always be reliable. So the thought of buying something to move everything you own in case you might someday decide to move might not be your best option.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
paulfromoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Dave B.
AF Regular

Re: First time car buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromoh View Post
the thought of buying something to move everything you own in case you might someday decide to move might not be your best option.
X2 ^^^
This is why any number of rental agencies (Hertz, Avis, etc.) rent trucks.
1. If you're going to buy a car or truck, you should drive it regularly. Otherwise, the fuel goes bad, batteries go dead, tires dry-rot, seals harden and leak... the list goes on.
2. Anything that is large enough to haul the contents of even a small apartment is going to be big, thirsty and require a LOT of parking area.
3. If it's licensed (an expense in itself), it has to be insured in any state I can think of. If you're going to live in CA, it also has to pass yearly smog tests (not free...).

Being able to throw everything you own in a car and take off on a whim is an enticing thought - but owning said vehicle is not always practical.

DB
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
paulfromoh
AF Newbie

Unless you're full on gypsy... In that case buy a VW microbus and call it a day

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
paulfromoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Brannan
AF Newbie

Re: First time car buyer

More information about your background would be helpful. For instance, are you are new, inexperienced driver? If so then I suggest you buy a small car because you will be less likely to hit something with a smaller car. Do you use your car for business? If so then you might want to buy a nicer car so people can be impressed with your ride when they are in the car with you. Are you in sales? Then you definitely need to drive to impress.
Brannan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General