Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Bryan Nicholas
AF Newbie

How long these batteries lasts?

My Dad have a 1990 Jeep wrangler, which still looks brand new. He is very much conscious about it’s maintenance and always ask for the best replacement parts available. Now, it’s time for its battery change and he is looking for some options. One of our mechanic ( Apex automotive ) in Edmonton, suggested Red Top optima. Can anyone give me an info regarding this battery? And how long, generally these batteries lasts?
Thanks!
Bryan Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Re: How long these batteries lasts?

I'm not a fan of Optima batteries. All the ones I have seen didn't last long at all, some not even a year. I've never purchased one myself, and I never would.

I'd recommend an Everstart or a Duralast/Diehard ( I believe the Duralast and Diehard are the same manufacturer).
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
wc9m
AF Newbie

Bryan,
I have had two Optima batteries and both died too quickly. I purchased a standard looking AGM battery from our local Farm & Fleet store (abt $120) and it's made in the USA. I believe Optima is now made in Mexico, but not sure.
wc9m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Pretty good.
Like all batteries they don't like to sit in the car and be slowly drained. That will kill them.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
CarlosGarrison
AF Newbie

Well I think lasting of a battery is depends upon the car maintenance and structure of batteries. when I ask to my mechanic friend that working in Tire mania Auto Repair Shop he said that his experience with battery that it’s hard to say that which brand is best though all are saying that there products are good. When there any trouble in battery in most of case we have to replace that.
CarlosGarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
onyxtellancer
AF Newbie

Hey Bryan, usually batteries last for 2 years and it will start to deteriorate and you would experience downtime. So I would suggest on this time you change for new batteries already.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:54 AM   #7
Dave B.
AF Regular

Re: How long do these batteries last?

What follows are my own experiences with batteries. I’m an old guy and have worked off-and-on in auto parts sales (including batteries) for a lot of years. I’ve also been involved with motorsports and have seen the effects of rough service on batteries.

Before I go on, I’ll say this: Keeping the terminals, end connections of the battery cables and the metal parts they connect to clean and shiny is the most important thing you can do to extend the life of your battery. If the connections in the starting/charging circuit aren’t clean, the alternator/generator can’t keep your battery charged. A close second is keeping any battery (that isn’t factory sealed – and 99% aren’t) topped up with distilled water. Last, if the vehicle is going to be sitting for – say – a week or more, keeping a good quality battery tender connected to it will extend its life.

In my opinion, the best automotive batteries – by far – are made by Odyssey. They are more expensive and are often difficult to find from ‘local’ dealers. They are sealed from the factory and are virtually ‘spill-proof’. They also have very long service lives. Seeing a 10-year-old Odyssey still in service is not unusual.

I’ve had really good luck with Motorcraft, Excide and Interstate. Some ‘house brands’ like DuraLast also seem to have good service lives, but I don’t have enough experience with them to be making recommendations.

Batteries I don’t recommend:
  • Delco – when I sold batteries, Delco had the highest return/complaint ratio. (Sorry GM…)
  • DieHard – no scientific evidence here, but I’ve seen too many fail too soon.
  • Optima – same as DieHard. I’ve seen newer ones fail for no apparent reason. Also, Optima has a really strange guarantee system. If you buy one, be sure that you get the installer to explain exactly how the warranty works and what the “start date” is.
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
yekrats
AF Newbie

I had an Optima and it didn't last long. 'nuff said.
yekrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
AD2BU
AF Newbie

Be careful with gel batteries like Optima. Some vehicle charging systems do not play well with them and this greatly shortens the lifetime (happened to my father-in-law with a 2001 Dodge Intrepid. Also, I have had bad experiences with Sam's Club batteries. Everyone I had developed a bad cell after a year or two and Sam's must know this because they make al kinds of excuses to not test your battery when they know they will have to give you a replacement (they are guaranteed for 3 years). Good luck. I have a friend that swears by Excide batteries.
AD2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
MOTOKROME
AF Newbie

Re: How long do these batteries last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B. View Post

In my opinion, the best automotive batteries – by far – are made by Odyssey. They are more expensive and are often difficult to find from ‘local’ dealers. They are sealed from the factory and are virtually ‘spill-proof’. They also have very long service lives. Seeing a 10-year-old Odyssey still in service is not unusual.

Batteries I don’t recommend:
  • Delco – when I sold batteries, Delco had the highest return/complaint ratio. (Sorry GM…)
  • DieHard – no scientific evidence here, but I’ve seen too many fail too soon.
  • Optima – same as DieHard. I’ve seen newer ones fail for no apparent reason. Also, Optima has a really strange guarantee system. If you buy one, be sure that you get the installer to explain exactly how the warranty works and what the “start date” is.
For the record, DieHard PLATINUM batteries are re-badged Odyssey. Odyssey and PLATINUM DieHard are my number one pick. Optima batteries are a JOKE.
MOTOKROME is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General