Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
gswordsman
AF Newbie

car sitting for 2 years

ok, my car has been sitting for 2 years without starting it but I start it today and the battery is dead and I recharge it and it just keeps on cranking and then I keep turning it on and it keeps on cranking and finally no more cranking but clicking noises, so I get a new battery and it started cranking again but the engine won't run, so I think it's the gasoline problem, I've had like 1/4 gasoline left in there for 2 years, maybe it deteriorated? Would it damage my starter or engine as I keep on turning it on with expired gasoline?
I don't think I want to drain it because the car is in my driveway and I can't start it to go to an auto shop because towing is expensive so can I buy a gasoline addictive and then pour some new gas in the tank? Thanks
gswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: car sitting for 2 years

Please give us the make and model of car. Older cars with carburetors are much more difficult to get running after a long sit.

Get the car towed to a mechanic. If it's been sitting out doors undriven for 2 years, you should expect your brakes need servicing. The drums/rotors will be very rusty. The calipers and wheel cylinders may be seized/rusty/leaking. So chances are your car is unsafe to drive until you get it thoroughly serviced.

Also, a 1/4 tank is bad news when stored a long time. The airspace in the tank and the length of time allows for condensation, evaporation, fuel separation etc to occur, all of which are bad. It's probably a good idea to remove the tank and flush it out. Gasoline is flammable and dangerous, so this is best left to a pro.

Also, read this thread for some tips on long-term storage:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=969475
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
gswordsman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
Please give us the make and model of car. Older cars with carburetors are much more difficult to get running after a long sit.

Get the car towed to a mechanic. If it's been sitting out doors undriven for 2 years, you should expect your brakes need servicing. The drums/rotors will be very rusty. The calipers and wheel cylinders may be seized/rusty/leaking. So chances are your car is unsafe to drive until you get it thoroughly serviced.

Also, a 1/4 tank is bad news when stored a long time. The airspace in the tank and the length of time allows for condensation, evaporation, fuel separation etc to occur, all of which are bad. It's probably a good idea to remove the tank and flush it out. Gasoline is flammable and dangerous, so this is best left to a pro.

Also, read this thread for some tips on long-term storage:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=969475
it's a 04 ford crown vic police, can't I just put the gas additives and then pour some new gas and get it running then drive it myself to a car shop for some service check?
I don't want it to be towed, expensive and time consuming, I mean my local car shop is just some miles away.
Also, did I damage any vital parts of my car by keep on cranking it with expired gas?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Here's the issue... with the brakes as corroded as they will be from sitting in TN humidity for 2 years, you might GET to the shop, but you may not be able to STOP once you get there. It really is in your best interests, and in the safety of everyone involved, for you to have the car towed. Heck, join AAA and get them to tow. Even if you never use it again, at least you got your car towed for cheaper than paying out of pocket!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Sadly cars do not like sitting for a long time, especially outside.
There are lots of parts that will seize up or corrode if left unprotected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswordsman View Post
it's a 04 ford crown vic police, can't I just put the gas additives and then pour some new gas and get it running then drive it myself to a car shop for some service check?
I don't want it to be towed, expensive and time consuming, I mean my local car shop is just some miles away.
Also, did I damage any vital parts of my car by keep on cranking it with expired gas?

More than likely it will need all new fluids, new pads and new discs.
If the brakes were kept in good condition, the calipers maybe alright, but you won't know unless you service them.

Changing a set of discs and replacing all of the fluids (including the brake fluid) is not difficult if you some basic mechanical experience?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

You might, and I emphasize might be able to get the vehicle started by adding a large quantity of fuel mixed with Sta-Bil and a fuel additive like Iso-HEET. I have had some luck in the past getting vehicles with fuel injection started after sitting a couple of years with that "cocktail". You may have to put in the fuel and crank the engine over more than a few times ( make sure you have a fully charged battery) to get the new fuel distributed in the system . The Sta-Bil seems to work on some of the deposits that have formed over time and by letting it sit a day or two you better your chances that it will work. (I have even gotten that system to work on small engines that sat for 3 years, but never tried it on a carburated vehicle.) Make sure you use a good sized quantity of fresh fuel to dilute the old fuel in the system as well.
And as stated in the above posts do not attempt to drive the car as the brakes more than likely are not safe.
Also check your air filter to make sure it is unobstructed as when a vehicle sits, they tend to make nice homes for little creatures. And once the vehicle is running well and all the old fuel is gone, replace the fuel filter. (I've seen a couple of cases where the fuel filter had to be changed twice in a short period of time after a vehicle sat for quite some time.)

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
gswordsman
AF Newbie

ok, today I got a seafoam and put it in the car and got 3 gallons of fresh gas and then I tried to start it, no vail so I called a tow to get it to the shop, $50 tow fee, is it cheap?
Anyways, they will try to fix it tomorrow, now do I need to worry about any damage that I made to the car because I tried to start it and it keeps on cranking? Like the bad gas sitting for 2 years and I keep on cranking with it?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Thanks for keeping us updated!

A $50 tow fee truly isn't that bad. It seems to be pretty much the going rate, and is cheaper than many (at least in the Nashville area).

I doubt you've done much if any damage from trying to start it. The old/stale gas has already done whatever it was going to, so I doubt trying to start it has damaged anything further.

Keep us posted with how the repair process goes!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
gswordsman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediva View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated!

A $50 tow fee truly isn't that bad. It seems to be pretty much the going rate, and is cheaper than many (at least in the Nashville area).

I doubt you've done much if any damage from trying to start it. The old/stale gas has already done whatever it was going to, so I doubt trying to start it has damaged anything further.

Keep us posted with how the repair process goes!
Thanks for you concerning about my car!!!
I'll definitely keep you updated
I just hope the mechanics aren't crooks trying to rip me off
He said he will repair tomorrow
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

$50 is a pretty good deal. I just renewed my AAA for another year at $88 ( I think that gives 3 tows over the year?) When I first joined 25 years ago I think the membership was around $35. Their basic which is 1 or 2 tows runs about $68/yr and the RV which is the next step up which gives you more benefits ( extra tow(s) lockout service and free gas delivery) is the $88 one.
I don't think you did any damage either by attempting to start the vehicle. Your work is now cut out for you by cleaning the fuel system and replacing the neccesary items that may have gone bad or need attention while the vehicle sat to make it roadworthy and safe once again.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
gswordsman
AF Newbie

ok, I called in today and they say they are in the progress of replacing my fuel pump and they say it's about $600, is it a ripoff?
Now I asked them about the old gas that was in my tank that I want to drain and they say they didnt do that and I want them to do it and ask about the price of flushing it out and they say they dont know how much it would cost because they dont have a place to dump the gasoline and they say something about EPA charges or something? help?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
vwmichellegolf
AF Newbie

Hi my 1998 vw golf has been sitting for better part of 2 yrs. My bf and I managed to get it running but unfortunately its kind of sketchy at best lol. The major concern at this point is the fact that the oil light is flashing and beeping! Google was not very helpful lol it could be as simple as an oil change or sensor or motor is caput! Any advice? I have a little bit of money to throw at it but not much. Can't afford a real mechanic �� My bf has limited mechanical abilities lol
vwmichellegolf is offline   Reply With Quote