Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
bee921
AF Newbie

85 nissan p/u help!!!!

basically my 85 nissan p/u stalls out when the engine gets hot. I replaced the spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor button, fuel filter, and ran several cleaners through the carburetor and nothing seems to work and it only does it when the engine gets warm. any ideas anyone????
bee921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
zanegrey
AF Regular

Re: 85 nissan p/u help!!!!

check the vacumn source to the choke and vacumn advance on the dizzy...
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
gone2long
AF Newbie

Zane, How's the check done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanegrey View Post
I have a similar problem with my 1979, 720 (see my recent Dec 7 posts), and I am a definite newbie when it comes to such trouble shooting, so I'd appreciate it if you could give us a hint as to how to do these checks or point me to an on-line source where I could learn more about how this is done.

Specifically, "How can I do a quick check of the vacuum advance on the distributor, and, where exactly do I find the vacuum source to the choke"? I've got a 2Bl Nikki carb, no manual, and no darn way to get one where I live.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

G2L
gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
gone2long
AF Newbie

Zane - Found One Answer ...

Quote:
As per your advice above to the guy who started this thread (and, by inference to me), I found the article below, which explains the vacuum advance check, but I still need help on how exactly to find the "vacuum source to the choke" on my Nikki carburetor (truck is 1979 720 with Z18)

The below was useful to me, and hopefully it will be to others.

Instructions
Things You'll Need
Timing light
Suggest Edits
Open the hood of your car and hook up a timing light to the engine. Connect the red alligator clip to the positive terminal of the battery and the black one to the negative side. Now, hook up the timing light’s inductive pick-up clamp to spark plug wire #1, the closest one to the front of the engine. Make sure cables and wires are not in the way of moving parts.
Set the transmission to neutral or park and apply the parking brakes.
Disconnect the vacuum hose from the distributor.
Start the engine and let it idle.
Aim the timing light at the timing mark on the engine while increasing engine RPM to about 3,500.
Watch the timing mark closely. If the mark advanced smoothly while increasing engine speed, the distributor centrifugal advance is working properly. Otherwise, parts in the system within the distributor might be worn out or rusted.
Increase the engine speed to about 1,500 RPM and aim the timing light at the timing mark on the engine again and watch its location.
Reconnect the vacuum hose to the distributor. The timing mark should advance and engine speed should increase. If the advance system did not respond properly to either one of these tests, take the car to an auto shop for inspection
Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
zanegrey
AF Regular

follow the vacumn line from the dizzy dash pot <which is the vacumn advance< to the manifold source.. follow those lines to the carb.. the carb itself has a choke .. follow the choke vacumn to it source..
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
gone2long
AF Newbie

Hmmm ...

Quote:
follow the vacumn line from the dizzy dash pot <which is the vacumn advance< to the manifold source.. follow those lines to the carb.. the carb itself has a choke .. follow the choke vacumn to it source..
Not sure how much of what you note above actually exists on the stripped down version of the 720 that I own, but I will check and get back to you.

See my other responses to your other posts, for more.

Thanks again,

G2L
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
LTurbo1
AF Newbie

We are having the exact issue with our 1985 Pickup. We have changed out coils, rotor, spark plugs and wires. We have checked the fuel filter and pump, vacuum hoses... My husband was trying to get it running again and found the BPT valve had completely came apart. It looks like it is the original . Could this be the issue? Thanks in advance!
LTurbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups