Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
gr33n
AF Newbie

Isuzu Amigo Vs Suzuki Sidekick

Hi all, This is my first post I hope I am posting it in the right section.
I'm currently in a 2000 Hyundai sonata GLS V6 AT and looking for something with a little more power.
get up my girl friends non-paved hill drive way, drive on the beach in the summer and also get me to work and school.

It seems like right now my 2 choices are a 1999 Isuzu Amigo S soft top V6 AT (out of state dealership) inland
and a 1998 Suzuki Sidekick JLX Sport 4 Cylinder AT (local dealership)

I was wondering if maybe some one could assist me with the better choice.
I want the Amigo but my fear is rust I live on Cape Cod right near the salt water and I heard a lot of complaints with rust with Isuzu's.
Also Isuzu has no more dealerships in North America. so getting it serviced might be a problem. The Softtop looks so fun though!

I don't know to much about Suzuki. I know it has a lesser engine so going to the beach and up dirt hills might be a choir even though it has 4x4.
Anyway thanks for the help! looking forward to hear your thoughts
gr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Re: Isuzu Amigo Vs Suzuki Sidekick

Here are the specs on each vehicle for you:

Sidekick Specs

Amigo Specs

Based on what I've read, I would honestly go with the Amigo myself. If you're concerned about rust, see if you can get an undercoating done on the vehicle and verify before purchasing that there isn't already some substantial rust on the vehicle. Additionally, it might just be a need of washing the thing once every week/two weeks to make sure the salt stays off.

I hope this helps.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jon@af For This Useful Post:
gr33n (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
gr33n
AF Newbie

Thanks for the fast reply! I am going to look at the Suzuki Side Kick today maybe give it a test drive...
The Amigo is about 5 hours away and the dealership is doing some work to it (new muffler and Back windows) and wont be done for 2 weeks
The guy at the dealership for the Amigo said there was no rust issues with this car.
I never heard of a under coating before! i'll have to look that up. does meineke's do something like that?

Also I forgot to add will be needing this car to get threw the New England snow as well
Thanks again for your fast reply!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33n View Post
Thanks for the fast reply! I am going to look at the Suzuki Side Kick today maybe give it a test drive...
The Amigo is about 5 hours away and the dealership is doing some work to it (new muffler and Back windows) and wont be done for 2 weeks
The guy at the dealership for the Amigo said there was no rust issues with this car.
I never heard of a under coating before! i'll have to look that up. does meineke's do something like that?

Also I forgot to add will be needing this car to get threw the New England snow as well
Thanks again for your fast reply!
Here is a look at what undercoating does. Basically it's a rubberized coating that is meant to protect the undercarriage of the car.

I'm not sure who does it in your area - I would check with local dealers/detail shops before checking with the chain muffler shops. Alternatively, you can probably get some and do it yourself if that option is out there.

As far as the Amigo goes, if you aren't sure about it, the best thing you can do is check it out once the work is complete and drive it for yourself. Then, despite what they may have told you, inspect that thing from bumper to bumper using your own eyes to verify that it has no rust. You don't want to buy a car and then get it home only to find that it has frame rust underneath or in the door jams.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jon@af For This Useful Post:
gr33n (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
gr33n
AF Newbie

Here is a picture of the underneath the Amigo. Do you guys consider this a problematic amount of rust? it looks pretty good in imo, but then again I do not know to much about this kind of thing
http://img233.imageshack.us/i/photojah.jpg/