Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 04:05 AM   #1
CC10
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Scammed out of oil change/general service...?

This is quite long but I'll try to keep it short and sweet... 10th February 2021, general service $300+ for 2005 Mazda 3 sp23, incl new drive belt, oil change, oil filter, oil sump washer. >Apparently drove 3000+kms in approx 4 weeks. >8th March 2020, parked car after driving approx 30kms, car was making a concerning rattling noise (vid provided). -Car did not sound like this when starting or during drive, only heard when I parked because of music. -No engine lights were on etc. Turned car on/off 4 times, left for 10 mins turned on and it stopped. Hasnt made noise since. >Call mechanic explain issue (sound) said there's barley any oil (below minimim). No oil leaks or smoke coming out. They want me to tow it in. >Drive there anyway, they top it up with oil. >They suspect it's burning oil yet there's no clear or black smoke and they will do a oil consumption test. TLDR: Highly doubt they even changed oil, oil filter, sump plug washer, let alone topped it up. You don't burn or leak 4L of oil without any trace of it... Receipt/notes Vehicle came in with with engine oil being low and engine making noises, we informed customer not to drive vehicle, but customer kept driving anyway, engine oil was only down by 1L and oil was in safe zone on dip stick, no noises heard at anytime. -vehicle was driven to workshop, customer advised not to. -vehicle was driven 3,110km since service on Feb 10th, 2020. -On inspection, the vehicle required approx 1L oil. -Oil has been added to engine. -Vehicle has been test driven and no noises relating to engine were heard. -We recommend doing an oil inspection test. Drive vehicle for 1000kms and bring back for us to inspect oil usage. -DO NOT touch or check oil in this time. -We suspect engine is burning oil that's why we need to carry out oil consumption test
I recorded the lady and she said that I cant see or smell the smoke because of my catalytic converter and that the smoke would be white, didn't want to acknowledge that I said there is no smoke or weird smell. I'm sure if it was burning that much, I'd be able to tell...
CC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:11 AM   #2
CC10
AF Newbie

Re: Scammed out of oil change/general service...?

https://ufile.io/a2rggd5j

Horrible quality due to upload but this is how it sounded...
Old 03-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Welcome to the Automotive Forums;
first, hopefully, that audio was only when oil was low, and now it is performing regularly; and more silent.. usually if that type of 'clatter' is happening internally it is something to be concerned about..
if this noise is still occuring, it would be pertinent to get it to another shop (via tow, not driving the 20mi/30km).. but it was odd that after start/stop and coming back and noise never recurred?? maybe the mechanic left a socket under a dust cover making all the rattling, and after it fell off; it's laying in your parking spot.. this is a hypothetical, but possible.. (and way better than internal engine damage)
if the auto is still operating mostly as it was prior to 'non-service'; you may have caught it to prevent further damage.. however, i would definitely start documenting everything with paperwork, pictures, video, etc. in case you have to file a claim with the Better Business Bureau (i think down under it's the ACCC)..
and document also pics of where you normally park; at home, and at work, to show no large puddles of oil as far as a major leak; and video tailpipe at start-up, and after regular commute for a few seconds to show smoke/or lack of..
all of this still doesn't help prior to, just going forward.. if the shop did not perform work that you paid for, it is hard to know how to prove; UNLESS, you have another shop to possibly go to to have an inspection of items in question:
for instance, if your receipt shows drive belt change- most all manufacturers place date codes stamped on belts near part#, brand, etc..
example: if your belt still shows a mazda logo and a manufacture of 3months prior date code of your vehicle, this belt went on in factory.. or if you have an old receipt showing a prior old service showing a Wix or Fram oil filter used, and the shop stipulated in papers they installed a Mahle filter; this would show neglect, and lack of service performed.. it may be that even if they honestly did the work, that the oil pump might be going bad, or something else internally..

i hope this helps; however, it still does not repair the car, and find if any damage has been done; so it behooves you to, decide if you allow your shop to continue work, or find another.. "most" reputable techs and shops in america will even box old components for showing customer it was removed and replaced, and even on common items; such as oil filter, marker a month/year or miles swapped at on it.. to show themselves, or others, when it was last serviced..
hope the 3-speed is still 'zoom zoom'-ing after this ordeal..
please post further updates, as i don't want to say to change components that might have been serviced; if it is something else, and it is difficult to diagnose w/o more info..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctesla For This Useful Post:
CC10 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 01:36 AM   #4
CC10
AF Newbie

Hi, thanks for replying

So after this incident happen (noise) it was at an average of 3000+km (low oil)

They said to come and do a few oil consumption tests. Drove there, explained everything and they said they added approx 1L (though it holds 4.5L...) (this is around the 3000km after service time era)

Said to drive another 1000km and do another consumption test. I checked my oil at about 400-600km, it was just below full line after the topped it up.

Then when I hit 1000km I took it back and they said it dropped by 200ml (receipt says added approx 1L...)

After another 1030km I checked it warm and dip stick indicated half full. Took it back and they said it dropped by 200ml, never got recipet but i assume they wrote approx 1L added...

So regardless of how much is in there they are claiming 1L when empty and 200ml (added approx 1L when half full) wtf is going on and why xant they identify why its burning oil, esp during my full service...
Old 03-27-2021, 01:45 AM   #5
CC10
AF Newbie

Post Re: Scammed out of oil change/general service...?

Images of oil level after big service and after 2nd oil consumption test

https://postimg.cc/jDx2DKbR

https://postimg.cc/q62q3vqv

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
#lying , #mazda3 , #oilchange , #oilfilter , #scam
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 3