Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
LColvin
AF Newbie

Retrofit Fog Lights to 2007 RAV/4

I am in the process of installing fog lights into a base model 2007 RAV/4 which did not orginally have them installed. I got the dealer to throw in the light units when we bought the car last year. I just ordered the brackets that bolt to the inside of the bumper cover, to which the light units attach. I found that the wiring harness has plugs for the fog lights behind the bumper cover, that were taped out of the way since the car had no original fog lights.

Has anyone done this before? Since the car did not originally have fog lights, it does not have the switch on the turn signal stalk. Is there a different part number stalk that does have the switch? Is changing stalks a big job? Is there an unused plug in the harness in the steering column for the switch when fogs are not originally installed? I don't have a wiring diagram so I can't check where the plug might be. If I could find the unused plug I could wire an aftermarket switch and mount it on the dash.

Any ideas, suggestions, or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
LColvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
RB200sx
AF Newbie

Re: Retrofit Fog Lights to 2007 RAV/4

I'm not too familiar with the newer Ravs but it shouldn't be too hard. The wire harness up to the connector should already have the wire in the harness. A service manual should help in determining that.The only thing would be to replace the switch with the optional switch and install the fuse and/or relays that will make it work for that circuit. Your owners manual has a fuse and relay page. That will tell you where the fuses and/or relays should be, assuming the circuit is there. Oh, before I forget. Don't confuse the owners manual with a service manual. A service manual will have a more detailed schematic of the wires and the related connectors such as the one you're trying to put together. The service manual for your Rav is not cheap, though, and you can order one through the dealer if you want. The book for my wifes' 04 Sienna is about $150.00. Again, not cheap but it's a real good source of repair info that you wouldn't get other wise. I have to get the book for my 97 Rav. I have one for my 87 200sx. I got that one for $74.00 back in 2000 and that's only because the car isn't manufactured in that particular body style any more. Other wise it would have cost as much as the one for my wifes' Sienna.
RB200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
OLDALERO
AF Newbie

I am also in the process of installing fog lights on my 07 rav4. I got these in a complete aftermarket package which also included a switch for the dash. I was wondering if you know if I can install it using the original wiring harness? I have the same problem with no switch on my headlight for my fog lights since the vehicle didn't originally come with fog lights.
OLDALERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
RB200sx
AF Newbie

Unfortunately, if there is no factory connectors with a harness at the location where the lights should be, you may have to make your own circuit with the hardware that comes with the kit. It's not that bad a job to do. You will have to find and/or create a location and/or bracket to install the lights an also hard wire the wires as its own circuit. You don't want to run off of another wire or off of a fuse as this may over load that circuit and create more problems for you than you want. Run the wires from the battery to the switch to the relay and then to the lights then to ground, in that order unless other wise stated on the install directions that come with the kit. Again, it's not too hard. Just don't tap into the vehicles other wires or fuses. It is a fire hazard.
Let me know if I can be of any help, though it is a little dificult when we are on an online chat place. I'll help as well I can any way.
RB200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
RAV4D4V3
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Retrofit Fog Lights to 2007 RAV/4

Hello All,

Just wanted to know if you had gotten a solution to the wiring issue trying to use the OEM wiring and getting a switch rigged up?

I'm in the same situation right now, years later. I bought an aftermarket kit. I have the fog lights hooked up to the OEM sockets, but now have to figure out how to get the switch (and relay?), that came with the kit, to connect to the OEM array of wires in the cabin.

Haven't found an adapter yet with a "plug n play" solution yet. Have any of you found one? If I use the OEM wiring, do I have to install the relay too, or is that if I use the kit wiring (not OEM) & switch?

Would hate to go to dealer and say "fix this" when it could be a simple thing to do.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave
RAV4D4V3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:46 AM   #6
Johntech87
AF Newbie

Hey! I am in the process of installing aftermarket fog lights to my 2008 toyota rav4..... i have noticed a lot of you guys wondering if you can do a factory style install to your rav4, well today i got my new blinker switch with fog light switch and i have already installed the fog lights. In a little while i will get it all installed and i will get back to you guys and let you know if it can be done, so far i have bought the factory relay, a fuse for the fog lights that belongs under the hood and the oem fog switch... wish me luck 🙃
Johntech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Johntech87
AF Newbie

So today, i got to installing the oem switch and wa not, and for those asking if it is possible to do a factory setup on your car for fog lights the answer is yes! All you will need is a set of fog lights, an oem relay snd to make sure it has a fuse for the fog lights under the hood where the rest of the fuses are, you will have to remove the steering wheel to install the oem switch.... you must purchase a switch with housing for it. The original switch will not have the pins for the new one....
Johntech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Toyota is good for prewiring things and just no installing them on more base model cars. I've been driving my uncle's 08 Tacoma waiting to get my Lancer back after hitting a deer. Some of the things I already knew on it are driving me crazy. Things like lack of cruise and lack of intermittent wipers. From the research I've done bother are literally plug and play. I just have to get the cruise switch and install it and get an intermittent wiper switch and swap it with the non intermittent.

Mitsubishi was even doing similar things in the 90's. My 94 Stealth did not come with fog lights but it was prewired for it. All I had to do was get some factory fogs, and the factory button and install them. Worked just like OEM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RAV4