Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
Drooopy33
AF Newbie

2005 Chevy Malibu max air bag system...

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu max, that was recently involved in a minor accident but both driver and passenger airbags deployed. Since then I have replaced the following, both airbags, the dash, airbag control module, both from impact sensors. Still I can not get the airbag light on the dash to go away. I have a friend with a pretty expensive scanner and it says it is unable to reset the module. Everything was purchased from a used 2004 Malibu which all parts are or so I thought compadable. Does anyone know a solution or if it's ossicle to use a used airbag control map duel from a Malibu not wrecked. Please help before I go spending crazy money to get this light off. Thank you!!
Drooopy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2005 Chevy Malibu max air bag system...

Your problem probably is the SDM.......I don't believe you can pull one out of one vehicle and stick it in another vehicle, because that air bag module has a different VIN compared to the VIN in the modules of your vehicle....

Every car has it's own 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number.....that number is embedded in every module, even your radio.......in the past, tech's could take modules or radio's out of other vehicles for test purposes.......now they can't.....when a new module is installed, it has no VIN in it.....it has to be programmed in......a module with the wrong Vin, will not be able to communicate with the other vehicles in the car....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
Drooopy33 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Drooopy33
AF Newbie

So should I put my old module in the car? Is it able to be reprogrammed?? Is what is the best way or only way to solve this problem?? Can't a module from another car be programmed to my car by the dealership? Not sure what I should do and if I take it to the dealership and spend that kind of money I just want them to be able to one time be able to reprogram without having me jump through loops. Thank you for your response.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Drooopy33
AF Newbie

I do not want to put the old module in the car and have the airbags I currently have in to deploy. Not sure if that will happen or not. Just really would like to know my next step and preferably the cheapest step if possible. Thank you.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

No you can't......once there is a deployment, the SDM has to be replaced......as I stated, you can't use a module from an other car.......you need a new/rebuilt module that has not been programmed.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
Drooopy33 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
Drooopy33
AF Newbie

Ok, I see that there are companies online where you can send a module in so it can be programmed. Do you suggest I go that route?? Or what would you suggest?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

That I can't answer...as a GM tech, if I had a deployment, I would just order a new SDM, and program it with my Tech II......

The question is not programming, the question is can they erase the VIN from the module and then, install in it, the VIN from your vehicle.....that you would have to call them to see if they can do it....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu