Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > 300C | SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
ChevyMan99
AF Newbie

Please, weigh in on the Chrysler 300C....the good, the bad and the ugly.

I want to pull the trigger on a Chrysler 300C sometime this year, but I am still a bit unsure. I've heard about transmission issues, bad gas mileage, etc. I just wanted to hear from from owners of the car, or people that know someone who has one and has good knowledge of them. Thanks!
ChevyMan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Please, weigh in on the Chrysler 300C....the good, the bad and the ugly.

hi chevyman99, i have talked to a few people that own these cars and they are very happy with them. mileage seems ok, and no trans problems at all. i dont think chrysler trans are that much more problematic than others anyway, at least in the ones ive had. as usual maintenance is the key.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Experianced2
AF Newbie

I got a 2006 300C AWD a year ago as a compromise car. I wanted a 4WD vehicle but one thats not so high up and hard to climb into as we are seniors.

i have had many cars over the last 50 plus years and this Chrysler is just another one. We like big cars better like the Mercury Grand Marquis.

This 300 is smaller than them but it has 4WD. The seats in it are hard being leather and the ride is just so so being stiffer than the Merc. It has a small trunk thats hard to get a deer into.

The 4WD does work however the ground clearance is only a little more than the Merc. It gets average gas mileage. Its good to drive but I have had many fast cars including a big Ford 429, a new Porsche and many Corvettes.

We are going shopping now and taking the Merc. It rides better.

Experianced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Chuckfw
AF Newbie

I have a 2010 300C and love it. The average gas mileage we get on the interstate is between 22 & 23, in town about 18. Have not had any problems. The ride is a little more stiff than I would like, but is not really bad by any stretch of imagination. The car is very stable in turns, fairly quiet and very powerful when passing or anytime you want it to be. The navigation system is easy to learn and use. I would buy another one.
Chuckfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Nice rides guys! These cars are not for everyone but if you like them they usually satisfy.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Scotty89
AF Regular

I work as a mechanic on these cars and most of the issues i have seen with these is suspension and steering. From bad ball joints to bad tie rods. Ive changed several on these cars. I've talked to people in other states and they havent had the same issue. Transmissions arent that bad either. Seem to hold up pretty good. The solenoid pack connector is something ive seen leak on several. Not a big fix there. But over all they have a good ride. With the 5.7 hemi they have some good throttle responce and the transmission seems to shift smooth. Gas mileage seems about average with these cars. But its hard anymore, no 2 people drive the same.
Scotty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
I work as a mechanic on these cars and most of the issues i have seen with these is suspension and steering. From bad ball joints to bad tie rods. Ive changed several on these cars. I've talked to people in other states and they havent had the same issue. Transmissions arent that bad either. Seem to hold up pretty good. The solenoid pack connector is something ive seen leak on several. Not a big fix there. But over all they have a good ride. With the 5.7 hemi they have some good throttle responce and the transmission seems to shift smooth. Gas mileage seems about average with these cars. But its hard anymore, no 2 people drive the same.
I just bought a new 2013 and I love it. The gas mileage is exceptional with the 8 speed tranny. It is a BMW transmission and extremely hearty. My understanding is that the suspension and steering issues have been corrected on the 12 and 13 models, (Generation II) as the contract with Mercedes ended. The 300 has a Mercedes E Class suspension from the days Daimler (Mercedes) owned Chrysler, and the parts had to be bought from Daimler. Now that Daimler doesn't own Chrysler, (Fiat does) and the contract has been fulfilled, Chrysler is free to use its own source and upgraded parts.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Scotty89
AF Regular

From what i understand the issues were fixed too. I have drove a new 300 and i do like the way it shifts. I didn't really seem to feel them. The shifter is different. How it always goes back to the center but you still feel the detents when shifting gears. As a mechanic though i dont like how you cant shut the vehicle off in neutral.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
polarzak
AF Regular

Yes, it took me a while to get used to the shifter. Apparently it is electronic, and not mechanical. In your business, you may have noticed that the newer Dodge pickups also use an electronic shifter, but it is a round knob on the dash, and you just turn it as you would with any round knob. That would be even stranger to me.

I agree about not being able to shut the vehicle off in neutral. Can't remember what I was trying to do at the time, but it was annoying not to be able to do it. Otherwise, I love the car, my first Chrysler ever in 30 years. It was the closest thing I could get to a Buick Lucerne, which I would have bought another in a heartbeat, but they don't make them anymore.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Scotty89
AF Regular

I have drove a couple trucks with the knob shifter and i agree it is definitely different. It's set up the same way too. If you shut the truck off in neutral it will default to park. It is shift by wire like the 300 not shift by cable. When you move the shifter to the gear you want it is basiclly an input to a module. You don't have a cable.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
Thaiolea
AF Newbie

I have 05 chrysler 300c 5.7l v8. 109,490miles
Still running strong. One time it died in traffic, but luckily i keep a cheap obd2 scanner in my glove box. I scanned it and went to autozone to buy a crankshaft position sensor.(20$)
Since crank sensors act up when the engine is hot, i let it cool down over night. Drove it home and fixed it. The only thing was that the sensor is located next to the transmission bell housing and above the starter. So i had to take the starter out aswell. Still running like a champ. Also since its an 05, ive changed the sparkplugs& wires, ignition coils, pcv valve, egr valve, oil pressure sensor, (4) o2 sensors, thermostat and housing, differential fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant flushed and changed. Now im focusing attention to the suspension so ive bought all new control arms and ball joints im installing next weeks.
Thaiolea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #12
gregcoll001
AF Newbie

As a mechanic, could you tell me where the TCM is located on a 2013 300?
gregcoll001 is offline   Reply With Quote