Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
ILuvCelicas
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ILuvCelicas
1980 Trans Am questions

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to American muscle cars in general. My uncle recently gave me a 1980 Trans Am with a transplanted 403 Olds engine. It also has a Turbo hood. I will probably not start working on it until it gets warmer in maybe February or March, so I'm going to be doing a lot of research until then. But with the 403 Olds (which was not available that year but was available earlier, right?) I can use the same parts as for a '76 T/A or somewhere around there, right? Also, the Turbo hood, the car was not originally a turbo. So would that kill the resale value to keep that hood? Thanks for the help.
ILuvCelicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #2
FormulaLT1
Fight the powwa!!!

Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: 1980 Trans Am questions

The 403 was used 77-79 In the Firebirds/T A's and used in alot of Old's and Buick's. Also the Hood shouldn't make someone offer you any less than they normally would but if your interested in getting a original hood check out www.car-parts.com but in my opinion its a waste of money considering your engine isn't original and thats a bigger thing than the hood. Also Welcome to the Forum.
John
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.

Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)

Last edited by FormulaLT1; 10-25-2004 at 12:39 PM.
FormulaLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
ILuvCelicas
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ILuvCelicas
Thanks for the info, John. I was pressed for time when I wrote that first post, so here's a little bit more about me and the car. My name's Kyle. I'm 18 and have only been into cars pretty much since I got my license. I'm more into newer imports but I have respect for pretty much everything. The car is primed so it has very little rust. My uncle has spent a lot of money on it already but the guy who sold it to him turned out to be a jackass so he didn't want it anymore and just decided to give it to me. Mechanical parts need to be connected and fluids need to be changed but most of the car is newly rebuilt or brand new, the tires even have the stickers on them. Since the engine was rebuilt, the car hasn't been driven (maybe 2 or 3 years). The interior is from a Camaro, so I was wondering how that would affect it. Besides the upholstry (I think the back seat was being dyed also), the carpet and other parts were being changed from tan (the car's original color was gold) to black. So there's my next question: Should the interior stay the way it is and finish dying the seat, as well as get a black headliner and seatbelts, or should I get TransAm reproduction upholstry (are they the same?). The reason I'm selling the car is that I like going fast, but more than that I want a car that handles really well. So muscle cars are kind of out. Again, thanks for the help.
ILuvCelicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
FormulaLT1
Fight the powwa!!!

Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: 1980 Trans Am questions

OK I get you, You don't want a old muscle car you want something new and shinny, Anyway to try and answer your question since the car your dealing with has mixed and matched parts its really only worth what the person looking at its willing to pay. You can't go by book value cause you have Firebird body, Old's Engine and Camaro interior. So it could go for 5k or 1.5K it all depends what kind of condition you restore it to. I would recommend getting rid of any rust, Get cheap maaco paint job and getting in back into running condition. Its never going to go for book value cause like I said there is no book value for that type of vehicle. Good Luck and keep us posted.
John
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.

Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
FormulaLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions