Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Sargie
AF Newbie

mm supercharger

firstly hi to all and thanks for taking a look.

i own a 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero, and its been blowing some blue smoke so
im getting the engine reconditioned. i would like to add a supercharger to it
the engine is a 3.5L V6 petrol. i dont know alot about cars wich is why im here
asking, what would need to be changed or added to my engine to suit a
supercharger im working with a limited budget but i want to do it right and i dont
want to damage it. i know with a supercharger i need an intercooler, i know that
piston rings wear faster with a supercharger. so i guess what would be a good
supercharger for my "96 pajero and what kind of piston rings id need for it and
anything else that needs to be swapped out for more durable parts

so again thanks to all who can talk me through it, i love 4WD's and id like to
be able to do this
Sargie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: mm supercharger

G'day and welcome to AF

How is the Mitsi?

Supercharging an engine, or adding any kind of forced induction is never a simple process.
There are lots, and lots of variables to take into account, and lots of different ways of doing it.

The best method is to first think about how much power you want.
This will determine the super charger you need, and how much boost you need to run.
That then determines what other modifications are needed.
You may need new rods and pistons to handle the increased stress from high combustion pressures, as well as changes to the fuel injection and ignition system to provide more fuel and spark.

You also need to think about how it will effect the rest of the vehicle.
More power means more stress on the transmission, drive shafts and differentials.
It can effect how the car handles under acceleration, and of course more power means more speed which means you need bigger brakes.

There are other options to consider too.
Mitsi made different versions of the V6 Pajero for NZ/Aus and Japan, with different spec engines.
The later models also had GDI MIVEC V6 engines based on the same block. These could be a viable engine swap that would give a big increase in power for less cost and work than a rebuild and supercharging.