Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
RTR717
AF Newbie

2.4 Misfire Please Help!

HI I have a 99 Pontiac Grand AM with a 2.4 auto. The engine it misfireing on # 1 & 3. I have Pull the coil cover off and put Longer Spark Plug Wires on to Diagnosis. The Spark From Tower # 2 & 4 Jump an Inch while Spark From # 1 & 3 only jump 1/4 inch. I have replaced coils, Coil housing, module, and Crank sensor. I have Swap Injectors bewteen cylinders, Checked Cam Timing, Draned all fuel and replace with new, Removed Converter to replace With new( melted from mifire but not going to put a new on until fixed), check Fuel Pressure, and compression test. What's even wierder is that If you have all 4 Plug wires on it will mis on 1 & 3 but if you remove one of the wires from the coil tower on the missing cyl. the engine will pick up the other missing cyl. The scanner also reads Misfire on 1 & 4 not 1 & 3. Also if I swap The Spark Plug Wires From 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 the skip switches to 2 & 4. That tells me it has to be a spark problem on towers 1 & 3. Has anyone ever had a problem like this. Any Ideas will greatly appreated.
Thanks
RTR717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
skibum1111
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to skibum1111 Send a message via Yahoo to skibum1111
Welcome. It sounds like either the control module is bad or there is an issue with the ecm. Have the new control module tested, if thats ok then I would suspect the ecm is defective or there is a short in the wiring somewhere. I'm not sure if autozone or any other parts store can test the ecm for you if you bring it to them. Good luck.

Fart cannon muffler: $300

Assorted stickers advertising products you'll never own: $50

Having your @ss handed to you by a brick shaped suv: Priceless.

Yup, I own the suv.
skibum1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM