Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Other Motorsports
Other Motorsports DTM, BTCC, V8 Supercars, etc.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Moped Polo.

I think the superbike owners who do dangerous stunts in traffic are too cocky, especially when it's the Moped riders who have far cooler tricks up their sleave.

Moped Polo, like the Moped is practically extinct, but I can provide some rare insight onto this old sport. Years ago, when mopeds were rather popular (the 70's and 80's) but horses were too expensive, Moped Polo was a popular winter sport, in europe, where massive amounts of Mopeds, and crazy owners could be found.
You'd take a nylon cord, wrap it around the rear wheel and through the spokes of your moped, to get some decent traction - then you found a suitable snowy field in which to engage in what was very much like regular polo - but without horses, and in the snow.
There was probably no more exciting sport featuring 50cc machines, but sadly - it failed to become qualifief as an olympic winter game. Nor did it really catch on in much of the rest of the world.
You can imagine, that riding through snow on a two wheeled vehicle, while trying to hit a ball with a mallet was pretty challenging. And you're imagination would be right! However, seeing as how it'd be pretty much impossible to exceed a speed of 5mph or so (even if you were going straight and didn't have to worry about balancing much, your 2hp motor wouldn't have much strength to push you very fast through snow over a muddy field), and that the ground was covered in snow, it wasn't a particularly hazardous sport.
But challenging, and you didn't need much euipment to play either, a moped was just a couple hundred dollars (in American money) and that was the most expensive thing you had!
Ah, what a forgotten motorsport, truly a defining one for this "other" category. I wish I had some pictures.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Other Motorsports