Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Movies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
MK2GolfOli
AF Newbie

The Fast and the Furious accuracy

Im a young driver who is getting into cars. Growing up I liked The fast and the furious and still watch it whenever its on even tho i know its silly.

But I always hear people laughing at all the mistakes like the double clutching in a drag, not a bad way to spend 10,000 and nos, stand alone fuel system an motec exhuast nice way to spend 100,000 under the hood. not to mention the infamous blew the intake.

Can anyone list the most notable mistakes (ive already named a few) an tell me why each one is laughable? I understand the double clutching as thats for downshifting an i guess he meant power shifting, but i want to understand why the other more technical quotes are meant to be bs.

please dont turn this into a flame the film thread though, jus wanna know why each thing is soo wrong
MK2GolfOli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
99onI95
AF Regular

Re: The Fast and the Furious accuracy

Fast and Furious came out when I was in high school. The truth is most of us knew so little back then that F&F was actually an education. Noone in my school knew what SPOON was till the movie came out and even then it took a bit of research to find out their relationship with Honda.

Truth is the most laughable stuff is the Hollywood action. I don't care how badly you drive an eclipse GST the floor pan is not going to fall out because you drove it hard. The civic sliding under an 18 wheeler trailer. Total trash. See that silver pontiac pictured in my signature? I slid that one under an 18 wheeler. It's lower than a civic and it didn't make it.

In short, the talk between actors in the movie was pretty spot on for Hollywood. It's the flash and pizzaz that set things back a bit. F&F2 on the other hand has little if any factual anything to back up the talk.

I own or have owned:
98 Ram Air firebird-WS6 hood and rear decklid, WS6/C5 vette rims, etc.
03 SRT 4-3'' exhaust, short throw, injectors, matte black
E36 convertible BMW-05 17'' BMW wheels
02 Volvo S60 AWD turbo-Stock
00 Audi A6 4.2L V8 Quattro-Potenzas, straight pipes
03 C240 Benz 4matic-stock
04 2.5rs Impreza
05 Chrysler 300C HEMI
04 GSXR-Power commander, K&N, gears, crash cage, suspension, LED tail
99onI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
MK2GolfOli
AF Newbie

Thats the thing I read another thread on this site where people kept quoting F&F lines and laughing, so there are many dialogues that are wrong apparently.

i found the thread:

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic388960.htm

I want to understand why they laugh about each point.
MK2GolfOli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
99onI95
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2GolfOli View Post
Thats the thing I read another thread on this site where people kept quoting F&F lines and laughing, so there are many dialogues that are wrong apparently.

i found the thread:

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic388960.htm

I want to understand why they laugh about each point.
Ok, "Blow the welds on the intake."

-There are no welds on the intake to blow, atleast from an LS1 standpoint. Besides most intakes are made of aluminum anyway.

"$100k under the hood," highly unlikely when talking an S2000. This is the scene at racewars when the black S2000 pulls up to race and the windows drop.
-Paul Walker made the statement, it's bogus because how many cars do you know with that much money invested into them? However, in his defense, if my idiot friend was going to race an S2000 with a diesel Jetta I would have probably said the same thing to get him to stop. An exaggeration? Yes.

"A cold air intake, 2 NOS bottles and a stand alone fuel management system, not a bad way to spend $10,000."

-Ok, a stand alone fuel management system will run you $4k, that's including all the software, the box, and a $2k laptop to boot. Nos and a cold air intake wouldn't get you a grand. It's blown out of proportion for hollywood.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COVQFC

"Double clutching and granny shifting"

-Don't say it. Noone uses those terms. It's just a line in a movie.

**In conclusion, most of those in the forum are picking on a guy because he came into the group using F&F terms trying to fit in. It didn't work, and they ripped him one for it.********

I own or have owned:
98 Ram Air firebird-WS6 hood and rear decklid, WS6/C5 vette rims, etc.
03 SRT 4-3'' exhaust, short throw, injectors, matte black
E36 convertible BMW-05 17'' BMW wheels
02 Volvo S60 AWD turbo-Stock
00 Audi A6 4.2L V8 Quattro-Potenzas, straight pipes
03 C240 Benz 4matic-stock
04 2.5rs Impreza
05 Chrysler 300C HEMI
04 GSXR-Power commander, K&N, gears, crash cage, suspension, LED tail
99onI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Hahahaha, I remember that thread. There are just too many things wrong with those movies, but I do find them entertaining regardless.

NOS: NOS is a brand name from the company Holly. It is called Nitrous or N2O for short.

Double Clutching: This is used for cars with no syncros, or to help downshift. You push the clutch in, pull the car our of gear, release the clutch, push the clutch back in, and put the car in gear. There is no car with a manual that's been made in the last 20 years that doesn't have syncros. You would never have a reason to double clutch in a drag race.

Granny Shifting: This is what you do when you're being nice to your drive train and NOT racing.

Not a bad way to spend $10,000: This actually isn't far off depending on what you do. You don't just go fast on a stand alone and N2O, at least not for long. There's much more to it than that. Some parts get expensive fast. Hell, I just spent $1,200 for a Quafie, and that was in a group buy.

Blowing The Welds: You can blow the welds on an intake, it just depends on your intake. Some engines, like the LS1 have a plastic manifold which IMO are horrible and don't hold up very well to N2O backfires, they tend to blow apart. Most engines have cast manifolds, no welds. However, some aftermarket manifolds are welded tubular manifolds. Now, that being said, it's HIGHLY unlikely to blow a weld unless it was a shitty weld.

He's Got 100,000 In That Car: I don't think so. That's a lot of money. Possible on a build if you're doing a lot of custom body work and interior work. Regardless, that doesn't make your car fast.

The Infamous Nitrous Explosion: N2O on it's own is NOT flammable. It's simply an oxidizer. If a bullet hit the take and caused it to rupture it would cause a violent release of pressure, destroying anything near the tank. It would not ignite in a fiery explosion.

I know I'm forgetting a lot, but let's just leave it at don't take anything you heard in any of those movies as correct.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Movies