Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
thomasstudios
AF Newbie

Idle high, accelerates on it's own.

Having problems. My 98 4x4 Chevy Tahoe has very high idle. Usually around 1000 at start, and after warmup, around 1200. I performed a tuneup w/AC Delco's, new cap/rotor, wires. Changed the IAC valve, (even though I had no codes, and the fuel pump. I am getting a P0304 and a P0507. I hear the K&N hissing really loud vacuuming air into the filter. My Bank 2 fuel trims are around -8 to -17. Bank 1 is fine usually around 0-1. Also once I begin to decelerate, it takes a while while approaching a stoplight. Very hard to stop the truck. Any Ideas? Can this be an O2 sensor? I wish I can afford to take it in or get a live readout. Getting very upset.
thomasstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Idle high, accelerates on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasstudios
Having problems. My 98 4x4 Chevy Tahoe has very high idle. Usually around 1000 at start, and after warmup, around 1200. I performed a tuneup w/AC Delco's, new cap/rotor, wires. Changed the IAC valve, (even though I had no codes, and the fuel pump. I am getting a P0304 and a P0507. I hear the K&N hissing really loud vacuuming air into the filter. My Bank 2 fuel trims are around -8 to -17. Bank 1 is fine usually around 0-1. Also once I begin to decelerate, it takes a while while approaching a stoplight. Very hard to stop the truck. Any Ideas? Can this be an O2 sensor? I wish I can afford to take it in or get a live readout. Getting very upset.
if the air ducting is not secure the maf will not be able to correctly meter the amount of air entering the engine...make sure all ducting is not allowing air to bypass the MAF

when cold the idle should be 1200rpm...then in a shot time drop to about 700rpm...neutral...

the other possibility is the throttle body gasket....
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
thomasstudios
AF Newbie

I read the MAF sensor and the wires and it checks good. I even replaced with a known good MAF. Same thing. Still misfire on #4 cylinder, idle does not go down to 700. In fact, it rises to 1200 once warm. Could this be a timing issue with the distributor, o2 sensor maybe? I'm stuck.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I read the MAF sensor and the wires and it checks good. I even replaced with a known good MAF. Same thing. Still misfire on #4 cylinder, idle does not go down to 700. In fact, it rises to 1200 once warm. Could this be a timing issue with the distributor, o2 sensor maybe? I'm stuck.
did I say MAF ??????? air ducting I thought I mentioned must not be any leaks .....to throttle body.....

you also could have an intake manifold leak or bad PCV/hoses etc...anything bypassing the MAF causing the engine to get too much air ..
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
thomasstudios
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT
did I say MAF ??????? air ducting I thought I mentioned must not be any leaks .....to throttle body.....

you also could have an intake manifold leak or bad PCV/hoses etc...anything bypassing the MAF causing the engine to get too much air ..

Thanks. How do I check for leaks on the intake manifold?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Delusional
AF Newbie

I'm not a mechanic but i've had the same problem in my 96, i changed my intake gasket was good. If i were you id change it because if it goes bad it dumps water into the oil, causing all sorts of other issues.
Delusional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
thomasstudios
AF Newbie

That sounds like the way to go alright. After doing some research on the same subject, I purchased a can of MAF sensor cleaner and sprayed all of my vacuum lines. I sprayed along the base of the intake and realized that the RPM would rise. I am in the process of tearing this baby up. Thanks a lot. Will let you know how things turn out.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
That sounds like the way to go alright. After doing some research on the same subject, I purchased a can of MAF sensor cleaner and sprayed all of my vacuum lines. I sprayed along the base of the intake and realized that the RPM would rise. I am in the process of tearing this baby up. Thanks a lot. Will let you know how things turn out.
what type of coolant do you use ? how often do you service the coolant ?

looks like your on to repairing this..
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
thomasstudios
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT
what type of coolant do you use ? how often do you service the coolant ?

looks like your on to repairing this..
Last time was flushed and refilled by pep boys. I do it once a year. After purchasing the gasket, they told me that this was common and they all tear eventually. Are you driving towards something?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Last time was flushed and refilled by pep boys. I do it once a year. After purchasing the gasket, they told me that this was common and they all tear eventually. Are you driving towards something?
what type of coolant do you use ? did you check that they put the correct amount of coolant to water at least 50%..

pep boys has had a few forum members pissed off..

what I'm getting at is corroded metal usually causes failures of the coolant system....the coolant type and frequency of replacement is for my knowledge...
Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
thomasstudios
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
what type of coolant do you use ? did you check that they put the correct amount of coolant to water at least 50%..

pep boys has had a few forum members pissed off..

what I'm getting at is corroded metal usually causes failures of the coolant system....the coolant type and frequency of replacement is for my knowledge...
It's red, so I'm assuming it's Dex-Cool. I have successfully changed my gaskets on my intake manifold. I went to pep boys just to verify and they add Dex-cool to most cars. Maybe they were lazy and didn't use 50/50 water/coolant. Thanks for the important gouge. I am going to ensure I have 50/50.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
christafer
AF Newbie

One easy quick repair is clean throtle body with old tooth brush and throtle body cleaner...comon for theis tb to get gunk build up and not run right
christafer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe