Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Since Fujimi is on a GT3 kick...

Why not an Audi R8 GT3? That would be a great trio of LM-type cars! I think the three (911 GT3, BMW GT3 and now the R8) would be great sellers, as no one is touching this area right now...

Thoughts?
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
flyonthewall
Car Mod guy

Send a message via ICQ to flyonthewall
Re: Since Fujimi is on a GT3 kick...

I think the only reason Fujimi tackled the 911 and the BMW is because they sponsor those two racecars. That and the interesting livery. I doubt we will see any other GT3 subjects from them apart from a re-box of those two kits, although an SLS GT might be a possibility.

If they have any good business sense they they should invest in more GT subjects as we are all crying out for them.
flyonthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonthewall View Post
I think the only reason Fujimi tackled the 911 and the BMW is because they sponsor those two racecars. That and the interesting livery. I doubt we will see any other GT3 subjects from them apart from a re-box of those two kits, although an SLS GT might be a possibility.

If they have any good business sense they they should invest in more GT subjects as we are all crying out for them.
I was going to put in the OP about the sponsorship but I guess I forgot. I still agree with you that more GT subjects need to be done. Maybe EBBRO, now that they're in the F1 game, might consider GT as well?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
petesy
AF Regular

Both the 911 and the Z4 happened to race in Super GT and are itasha, which they can market to race car fans as well as anime fans.

To fit with that theme, maybe they can make the LMP Motorsport F430GTC:

http://supergt.net/supergt/2011/11te...ex_j027.htm?tm
petesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

R8 GT3 is highly unlikely because no one is racing it in Japanese Super GT. The car should be done by Revell Germany, because they have Audi license, and the races take place mainly in Europe which is Revell Germany's home market. I like the fact that they released recent F1 and DTM cars, so they aren't dormant like Tamiya, but I'd like to see Revell Germany releasing two or three brand-new Nurburgring and Le Man subjects.

After the Z4 in Jan 2012, the next logical choice for Fujimi will be F430 GTC for Ikamusume tie-in, and maybe 458 GTC simply because it's a Ferrari, though I don't keep my hope high on those.

Ebbro has an exclusive license to Super GT diecasts, so they are familiar with the subjects. But knowing what the company founder couldn't do during his days at Tamiya, their first closed wheel subject in 1/24 scale will be Porsche 962, but that's just my wishful wild guess.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
eyckles
AF Enthusiast

The Audi R8 LMS would be great, but The only manufacturer for this car is going to be Revell, becaus they have the license. But highly unlikely if they going to release that one. But then again this car won the 24 hours of Spa and was driven by all german drivers. We can only hope.

Lesley
eyckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

I'm a road car guy, so that's what I like to see, but these GT subjects are definitely interesting.

Hiro, since you have excellent insights to the Japanese model market, what are your predictions for 2012 Fujimi and Tamiya releases? Someone said on another thread that Tamiya will probably release the new Subaru/Toyota sports car (a good guess IMO)?
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyckles View Post
The Audi R8 LMS would be great, but The only manufacturer for this car is going to be Revell, becaus they have the license. But highly unlikely if they going to release that one. But then again this car won the 24 hours of Spa and was driven by all german drivers. We can only hope.

Lesley
Isn't it odd that *ONLY* Revell Germany has a license for Audi? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVC500 View Post
Hiro, since you have excellent insights to the Japanese model market, what are your predictions for 2012 Fujimi and Tamiya releases? Someone said on another thread that Tamiya will probably release the new Subaru/Toyota sports car (a good guess IMO)?
Thank you for asking that Bernard! I know it might make absolutely no sense to say it here but I'm really dying for an FF! Please Fujimi! Please Revell! Please... anybody...

Sorry racer93 for the OT...
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by auw12 View Post
Thank you for asking that Bernard! I know it might make absolutely no sense to say it here but I'm really dying for an FF! Please Fujimi! Please Revell! Please... anybody...

Sorry racer93 for the OT...
I'd place my bet on Revell for an FF.
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
Isn't it odd that *ONLY* Revell Germany has a license for Audi?
I don't think it's all that strange.
You've got to stop looking at this from the point of view of a model builder.

Manufacturers know that model builders will want to buy a kit or a car if either the kit is well made, or of a car that hasn't been made before. However, in order to maximise profits and hence make a kit actually viable for production, they have to attract more than just model kit builders and for Audi, beyond the R8, what other car do guys/kids actually drool over?
RS4?
Sure it has a lot of fans but they tend to be real world fans who love the car because it goes like stink, has decent boot, four doors and seats 4 in comfort.
It is a real world dream car but these guys who would love to own one wouldn't necessarily build a kit of one.

Another large market are parents buying kits as gifts for kids who like cars and /or model building.
By and large, kids also aren't going to go gaga over a fast saloon.

It's the old dilemma of cost of tooling+production vs possible kits sold and for Audi, the R8 is the only wide audience car and probably not worth it.

I mean, you would have thought Aston Martin was an obvious one to kit and these days, Maserati too but how long did it take for them to do an Aston and there's still no modern Maserati.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
grundski
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to grundski

Well made? Want kits that haven't been done? Fujimi is stupid. The have ex-Tamiya employees and all they seem to be able to release is kits that Tamiya, MFH, S27 and others have done. They have done NOTHING new. As for why Revell has the Audi and nobody else, easy. One of two factors. Audi has a RIDICULOUSLY high license fee that nobody wants to touch. Only the huge companies can touch it and it's not worth it. The other is, Revell could have an exclusivity clause in their contract. Know why Forza Motorsport doesn't have Porsche? Because EA owns the exclusive gaming rights to Porsche and exercised it keeping them out of FM4. Yea, its that simple and it has nothing to do with thinking like a modeler.
grundski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundski View Post
Fujimi is stupid. The have ex-Tamiya employees and all they seem to be able to release is kits that Tamiya, MFH, S27 and others have done. They have done NOTHING new.
I suppose (at the time of manufacture) Honda CR-Z, Nissan GTR, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sai G, Porsche 911 GT3R, Porsche Cayman, Lamborghini Mucielago, Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes-Benz SLS, Fiat 500, Ferrari 458, New Mini, MK V Golf, New Lexus IS, BMW Z4GT and Mazda MX5/Roadster weren't new cars that hadn't been produced in kit form by other manufacturers.

Of that list (that I can recall right now), how many are made by another kit manufacturer?

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
racer93
AF Enthusiast

DM, I think you missed my point. I wasn't looking at it from the "point of view of a model builder". I was simply asking the question as to why ONLY Revell AG had the license to Audi and no one else (as Lesley stated). I understand, as I hold a degree in Business, about why certain things get made and some not. That's completely separate.

From what I understand, the R8 LMS did very well and that's what tends to get made, in a most general sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
I don't think it's all that strange.
You've got to stop looking at this from the point of view of a model builder.

Manufacturers know that model builders will want to buy a kit or a car if either the kit is well made, or of a car that hasn't been made before. However, in order to maximise profits and hence make a kit actually viable for production, they have to attract more than just model kit builders and for Audi, beyond the R8, what other car do guys/kids actually drool over?
RS4?
Sure it has a lot of fans but they tend to be real world fans who love the car because it goes like stink, has decent boot, four doors and seats 4 in comfort.
It is a real world dream car but these guys who would love to own one wouldn't necessarily build a kit of one.

Another large market are parents buying kits as gifts for kids who like cars and /or model building.
By and large, kids also aren't going to go gaga over a fast saloon.

It's the old dilemma of cost of tooling+production vs possible kits sold and for Audi, the R8 is the only wide audience car and probably not worth it.

I mean, you would have thought Aston Martin was an obvious one to kit and these days, Maserati too but how long did it take for them to do an Aston and there's still no modern Maserati.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Im holding off for the r8 to be done by scale production. Which should be out hopefully soon. I have to say fujimi suprised me thus far these past few years with a bunch of cool releases. Props to them.