Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 626/Capella/Capella Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:18 AM   #1
smokey0210
AF Newbie

Number One Cylinder

I Have A 1994 Mazda 626 With The Four Cylinder And The Distributor Went Bad. Well I Lost My Timing And Now I Need To Know Which Cylinder Is The Number One And How To Get It To Tdc So I Have Install The New Distributor To Match Up. If Anybody Knows Which Is The Number One Cyclinder Let Me Know, Thank You.

Jordan
smokey0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
slb04786
AF Newbie

Finding TDC

The number one cylinder is the one closest to the passenger side of the car. When you are standing in front of the car looking at the engine compartment it will be the cylinder on the left. The easiest way to find top dead center (TDC) is to remove the spark plug from number one cylinder. Plug the spark plug hole with your finger or thumb. Turn the engine over manually until you feel compression on your finger At this point look at the timing marks on the timing cover. It's on the end of the engine (usually plastic cover) by the passenger side wheel well. Look at the bottom pulley and there should be a mark on the pulley that will line up with the marks on the cover. (Look around, you will find them) Keep turning on the compression stroke until the marks are lined up between the pulley and timing cover. You are now lined up with number one cylinder on the compression stroke at TDC. Put the distributor on with the rotor pointing at the number one plug wire. You will need a timing light afterwards to get the timing adjusted perfectly.
Stan
slb04786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
jgmack823
AF Newbie

Re: Number One Cylinder

I just had this problem...I dont' know your car but you can search to find the right cylinder....
after you find out which one it is...

1. get the cylinder all the way out by having someone slowly crank it over
(until it blows air)
2.match the rotor where the first cylinders spark plug wire connects on the distributor.
3.it should start if you are on the right notch....make sure the cylinder is at the outmost postion it has to be perfect
4. then time it with a timing light
hope this helps a little.......i just did this and had no clue where to start at the beginning..
If i can do it you can
jgmack823 is offline   Reply With Quote