Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
Lobstah
AF Newbie

Re: Procedure to unlock the radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltystu
I cant get get this to work on my 05 radio. Any suggestions besides going to the dealer. Thanks
As I posted in another thread, I'm getting ready to swap out my AM/FM with a 2004 Silverado AM/FM/CD/Cassette player. Since that has abviously had "power removed" from it, does that mean it will be locked when I install it?

Man, did they ever make a mess out of THIS process.

And don't EVEN get me started on the location of the oil drain plug and the exhaust.

Lob
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
nineball481
AF Enthusiast

Check the owners manual.
If you are the first person to ever have that radio and you never turned on the feature, it should not be on. otherwise you can just through the procedure above...
  • Hypertech PP III
  • 20" Helo Renegades wrapped w/ Toyo Proxes S/T
  • Escalade instrument cluster
  • TYC tail lights and corner lights
  • Wet Okole seat covers

Some people see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream of things that never were and say "Why not.""
-George Bernard Shaw

"Mind over matter: If she doesn't mind, It doesn't matter"
-Nineball
nineball481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #18
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard
Re: Re: Procedure to unlock the radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah
As I posted in another thread, I'm getting ready to swap out my AM/FM with a 2004 Silverado AM/FM/CD/Cassette player. Since that has abviously had "power removed" from it, does that mean it will be locked when I install it?

Man, did they ever make a mess out of THIS process.

And don't EVEN get me started on the location of the oil drain plug and the exhaust.

Lob
Oil Drain Plug? Seemed like it was in a fine location to me. The oil filter is difficult to get at with anything other than a filter wrench, tho

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster
BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #19
nineball481
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Procedure to unlock the radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
Oil Drain Plug? Seemed like it was in a fine location to me. The oil filter is difficult to get at with anything other than a filter wrench, tho

you know, my local autozone and competion doesn't sell a filter wrench small enough for our filters...... I have to use a cap or stick something in my wrench so that it will catch on the filter..... Oh well, nothing can be perfect...
  • Hypertech PP III
  • 20" Helo Renegades wrapped w/ Toyo Proxes S/T
  • Escalade instrument cluster
  • TYC tail lights and corner lights
  • Wet Okole seat covers

Some people see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream of things that never were and say "Why not.""
-George Bernard Shaw

"Mind over matter: If she doesn't mind, It doesn't matter"
-Nineball
nineball481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:27 PM   #20
Lobstah
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Procedure to unlock the radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
Well...my drain plug is horizontal, and there's about 1.5" between the plug and one of the exhaust pipes as it crosses over to the other side.
I have to put a shield on the pipe to direct the oil down or it splashes all over the place.

Lob
Old 10-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #21
Lobstah
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltystu
I cant get get this to work on my 05 radio. Any suggestions besides going to the dealer. Thanks
I just tried it on my "replacement" 05 and it didn't work. I held the "2+3" buttons down for a full 60seconds, and the display never changed from "Loc".

Did they change the secret handshake for 05?
I'd really like to avoid dealing with the stealership if I can.

TIA,

Lob

Update:

So the problem with the replacement unit is that it's an RDS radio. If you look at any of the popular "unlock code" websites, you'll see a note somewhere that says "We can NOT unlock RDS radios". One even has a picture of my radio with the words "...like this one."

On a brighter note, I found a post by a guy who did this to his pontiac and found that if you connect the Class 2 bus wire to ground, the radio works.

Will let you know...if I can find out which wire in the connector is the Class 2 bus wire.

Last edited by Lobstah; 10-04-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
Lobstah
AF Newbie

Well...the radio is in, and working. There is no seperate feed for the Class 2 data. It comes in over the orange power wires to the chassis.
If you look at the plug, there are 11 wires. 8 are speakers, one is ground, and the two orange are power and accessory (keep memory alive).

So the decision was between running seperate power wires to the fuse box and doing without the safety chimes (swapping the old radio back in once a year for inspection time) or paying the dealer to reprogram the truck's BCM. This requires a Tech II programmer.
Turns out the radio I installed (from a Tahoe) was never a "legal" option on this truck, so we had to try a couple of different things before we ended up with the right option codes to make it work.

Final bill from the dealer: $36.25
Took about a half hour. Would have been done sooner, but had to do it twice to get the right option codes.

Lob
Old 11-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #23
ncso911
AF Newbie

Quickie method did not work, swapping out to a CD/Casette/AM/FM with RDS.

Shows CAL ERR then LOCKED.
ncso911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #24
Guardrail
AF Newbie

I just replaced my battery and used the steps outlined here. Thanks for posting the instructions. It's a lot easier and quicker than taking it to the dealer.

(I don't imagine a thief would be able to find this info, would they? Kinda' ruins the theft loc feature. )
Guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #25
wafrederick
Banned

There is another place to call,GHI.I do not remember the phone number.You call them and that one is free
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #26
onehate02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to onehate02

hey guys, any ideas on how to unlock my 2004 radio? those instructions didn't do sh*t

2004 Silverado ext. cab 4.3L
Pirelli Scorpian A/T 275's
Magnaflow straight-through muffler (dumped)
K&N FIPK
Custom sound system (alpine/infinity/monster)
Billet Grille inserts & bowtie
Xenon blue bulbs (high/low/drl)
Limo Tint all around
Gaylords X-2000 tonneau
Rhino bed liner
Code Alarm keyless entry system
Custom PA system (dual speakers)
A1 Power Window mod
Center console swap
onehate02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #27
oldmike
AF Newbie

The "GM Unlock Procedures" seen all over the internet only work up to year 2000. 2001 (mostly) and newer, GM coded the VIN into the radio so it knows what car it is in. Dealer has to reprogram if you move it to a new car. If in same car after power removed and re-applied, it should be OK.
oldmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #28
futr_attny
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Procedure to unlock the radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball481
If you try this, please let me know if it checks out. This could save people a lot of time and money.

Date Published: 2002-05-26

Submitter's Name: Ioannis Hadjiioannou
Email Address: hex29a@hotmail.com
Corvetteforum.com Member Alias: Hex29a

The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).

Procedure:

01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

04. Press the AM/FM button

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”

09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)

10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)

11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11

14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.

Note: This tip originated from LOTZAHP, Austin TX (credit must be given where credit is due). I verified it on an Y2K C5 with a locked radio - mine.

I hope this helps, I found it on a corvette forum, should work fine with your radio. Again let me know how this turns out. Please.

Jake
-nineball

hey this worked for me !!! You are awsome and saved me 35 dollars.

Thanks.
-futr-attny
futr_attny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #29
futr_attny
AF Newbie

thanks thanks thanks
futr_attny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #30
kelncrw
AF Newbie

Hello there! i was given this thread when i logged on to ask a question of my 99 tahoe radio. i printed it out but i have a problem in that there is no LOC display. i do have power and the time works when you push the repete button or the H/M buttons (but it makes a noice with the H/M buttons) any thoughts?
kelncrw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado