Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Rroxon7
AF Newbie

Transmission help

I plan on keeping the 3 speed manual trans in my 66 nova....The Nova has a 230 6 and I'll be swaping it out for a 327....Can anyone tell me what size/numbers of flywheel that will convert.?.Or any other parts I'll have to swap. I'm trying to keep everything original. or as simple as possible....I'm in the early stage's of building it so I'd like to purchase some of these parts ahead of time...Thanks all...
Rroxon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396
Re: Transmission help

Get ready to open a minor can of worms. The box Novas require a specific front-sump oil pan and oil pump to go with it. Nova V8 blocks were tapped for the cross shaft ball (clutch linkage) and non-Nova blocks are missing this hole and the hole is located in the bellhousing. The fix is pretty simple, I used to make up an offset bracket which bolted up to the bellhousing. Once you have the car apart and all the parts in front of you, you'll understand it. The stock exhaust manifolds may have been Nova specific, I ran headers on mine.

Good luck, Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Rroxon7
AF Newbie

Thanks for your reply Bob....I've already purchased the oil pan, pump and matching dip stick for the block...But what I am not understanding is the hole your refering to in the block....and the bellhousing change's that you say needed to be made...Is there anymore info you could give me regarding this???..........Thanks.....Randy..
Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rroxon7
Thanks for your reply Bob....I've already purchased the oil pan, pump and matching dip stick for the block...But what I am not understanding is the hole your refering to in the block....and the bellhousing change's that you say needed to be made...Is there anymore info you could give me regarding this???..........Thanks.....Randy..
I don't have anything to show you, but take some pictures of the 6-banger clutch linkage before you take it apart. Especially where the cross shaft (aka z-bar) runs from the chassis to the engine or bell housing. There is a ball on each end where it pivots.

Also do a measurement (a good scale will do) from the center of the ball on the engine or bellhousing. I don't know where the ball mounts on the 6, is it on the bellhousing or engine? You should be able to use everything clutch related from the 6 including the bellhousing.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Rroxon7
AF Newbie

Thanks again Bob..
I'll made sure to do that...I haven't been looked that close at the Z Bar yet..I'll try to get the car up in the near future to take a look...I've been doing a lot of reserch and I've been told many things...So I come here to get more input...I was recently told I could use the same flywheel also...I'm in the early stage's of building the 327...The block is still at the machine shop..I don't think he's even started on it yet...The Zbar your talking about ..I saw one on Ebay up for sale...I think I'll ask the seller a few questions about that part and it's installation..........Thanks again...I'll be coming here often to get advice....Randy........

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova