Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #91
ICMF
AF Newbie

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Enzo Ferrari..... Whats in the box... First Look

To my mind, the most obvious need for aftermarket parts would be some cast resin seats, to swap out for the vinyl kit parts. I hate dealing with vinyl bits (kinda surprising they don't include a set of basic styrene buckets, actually). Should be fairly inexpensive to do, too.

I'm looking into doing an FXX transkit (I do pattern work for an aftermarket company, and they're interested), but knowing the production processes, I'm not confident I can do it fast enough and (more importantly) inexpensively enough to work. I'd like to keep the price around/under $100, but those are some big pieces to cast and it'd be tough making that price point. Plus, if Tamiya announce an FXX of their own, that's a pretty big hit to take.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at an Enzo GT transkit, but I'm not sure how popular that would be. Plus, which version? Do I make the MC12 Corsa test mule with the ugly, exposed radiator under the wing? Or a fictional design based on what an Enzo GT might have looked like?

Anyway... on the subject of FXXes... I've managed to find some pics showing the bottom of the hood, but nothing that actually shows what's under the nose. I'm assuming it's not the same trunk with fitted luggage. Does anyone have a decent shot showing the revised bay?
ICMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #92
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

Agree with viperofoz, though when you think about it you can, and generally do spend 30-50% of the price of the model on aftermarket parts, so 125-200 would still be in that range.

In looking at scans of the instructions, one part that looks, well eh, are the brakes. I have the SMS kit for the FXX and those look wicked, so a 1/12 scale set would look very nice, even if its were only the front or back. Having done the 1/24 enzo one area missing is at the front luggage, and that it is not open. I am sure someone will bring out some stuff, we shall have to see. Cant wait to see pictures of the build once someone starts....hint!.
robertgreen94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #93
star21
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICMF View Post
I'm looking into doing an FXX transkit (I do pattern work for an aftermarket company, and they're interested), but knowing the production processes, I'm not confident I can do it fast enough and (more importantly) inexpensively enough to work. I'd like to keep the price around/under $100, but those are some big pieces to cast and it'd be tough making that price point. Plus, if Tamiya announce an FXX of their own, that's a pretty big hit to take.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at an Enzo GT transkit, but I'm not sure how popular that would be. Plus, which version? Do I make the MC12 Corsa test mule with the ugly, exposed radiator under the wing? Or a fictional design based on what an Enzo GT might have looked like?

Anyway... on the subject of FXXes... I've managed to find some pics showing the bottom of the hood, but nothing that actually shows what's under the nose. I'm assuming it's not the same trunk with fitted luggage. Does anyone have a decent shot showing the revised bay?
I would be interested in an FXX transkit (Evoluzione would be ideal)... hopefully someone like Hobby Design does not make one because that will only mean HIGH price point and CRAPPY quality. I understand the price point will be high but if it doesn't fit at least decent that would be a huge disappointment. I would not want an Enzo GT.

Scale Production has some reference pics of an FXX:

star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #94
star21
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox3 View Post
How are you going to paint the seats?It would be great if we could toss around some ideas and find what works.
I'm not sure if it will work but a consideration might be a vinyl & fabric automotive paint from Duplicolor or 3M. Not sure how much different the material used on the Tamiya seats will be from actual material used on a 1:1 car, though.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #95
roymattblack
AF Regular

I've looked closely at the seat options in my kit and to be honest, they look (and feel) pretty authentic.
I'll give mine a VERY light colour wash to highlight the stitching a bit more, but not much - I don't want the seats to look dirty. It's an Enzo after all and I can't really imagine one of these being grubby.
I'll also experiment on the back surface with some Klear, to see of I can get a bit of a leathery sheen to it.
Regarding the comments about the brakes, I'm pretty impressed there too.
The disc faces are VERY thin (plastic, yes - but once painted who would know?) and pretty close to scale thickness. Etched discs would be way too thin unless you sandwich several layers. Then you might just as well use the plastic bits.
When the plastic parts are assembled, they make a very nice ventilated disc.
I will drill out the face vent holes, but other than that, they're really good.
Roy.
roymattblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #96
karann1986
AF Newbie

Fantastic dude...
Planning to order one...
karann1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #97
allnie
AF Regular

Received the kit a few days ago and boy - this is INCREDIBLE. Simply Tamiya when the are BEST. And here they are in a class of their own when we talk plastic kits. INCREDIBLE details. Endless number of parts, cables etc.
Only complain is the lack of carbon decals. Which can easily be fixed. My plan is to use carbon decals only where they are very visible. Or you can spend the rest of your life putting carbon on all those parts.
Long live Tamiya. This is the best 1/12 kit they have ever done.
Now give us the Porsche Carrera.

Allan Nielsen
Denmark
allnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #98
roymattblack
AF Regular

I completely agree with Allan.
AMAZING kit.
Don't let anyone tell you it isn't worth the money.
The only people saying that are the ones who don't have the kit.
This really is 'seeing is believing'.
I too will only CF where it shows.
The monocoque frame is just SO mega-complex, trying to CF it all really would take weeks and weeks, and possibly kill the interest in the kit.
One of the aspects that really blew me away is not only is there a HUGE amount of plumbing and wiring included, but theres a substantial sprue of DOZENS and DOZENS of miniscule connectors and fittings, for each end of EVERY cable, wire and pipe!
I could hardly believe how tiny and detailed the fittings are, right down to the fraction-of-a-millimeter holes to locate the cables!
A serious magnifying lens will be needed methinks (Already got one)
If anyone is pondering whether to get this EPIC project of a kit, BUY IT NOW.......
Tamiya are notorious for pulling the plug on kits with no warning, and not re-releasing them again for MANY years.
Roy.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #99
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

Question to guiwee. Looking to buy the model from HLJ, but where did you get the $50 shipping from. Looking at the website its either $140 for FeEx or $75 for some other company? Is there another choice when you get to the part about shipping.
Have not used HLJ before but I have heard good things. Anyone had good service with Hobby Easy?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #100
guiwee
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICMF View Post
For anyone else, like me, who has been following this thread with interest, I've done a round-up of on-line shops to see who has the best deal. I'm not the biggest Enzo fan, but that kit looks spectacular, and I'm getting reeeeeallllly tempted. Since it's a pricey kit, it pays to shop around.

Here are the best prices* I've found:

Hobby Search: $331 (kit) + ~ $60 (shipping) = $391 (total) http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10176163
Lucky Model: $336 (kit) + $15 (shipping) = $351 (total) http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA%2012047
HLJ: $295 (kit) + $56 (shipping) = $341 (total) http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12047
Hobby Easy: $295 (kit) + $40 (shipping) = $335 (total) http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/8ax...l?t=1334590019
EricYY: $285 (kit) + ~ $36 (shipping) = $311 (total) http://erichmodel.tripod.com/

Calculated using roughly similar air mail shipping, with delivery in around 10 days. You could save some money with surface (and wait a few months), or fork out for faster delivery, but IMO regular Air is the best bet. Also, 1999 and EricYY aren't as straightforward with shipping costs as the rest, so there's some estimation involved, but it should be in the ballpark, I think. Maybe +/- $5 or so, but it shouldn't change the rankings any.

So.... are there any other retailers worth listing? Anyone else who is similarly priced? I was going to include Best Balsa, but they don't seem to have the kit in stock yet.

*since they're all dealing in foreign currency, exact US prices will vary, though they should stay the same in relation to each other.
wasnt my quote dude... its ICMFs..this is my quote..I got mine from hobbyeasy $295 kit...$21 surface=$316.98 total..I went cheap on the shipping because i was in no hurry..Now i cant wait...It shipped 4/14/12 and still not here ...Its now 4/27/12 and its still not here yet so if you want it quicker you will pay!!
Ive oredered from hobbyeasy before and never had any problems. I usually take the cheapest shipping option as im never in too big of a hurry for stuff.
guiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #101
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

Sorry about that, but thanks for the info. I think I will be ordering from HobbyEasy this weekend before they run out.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #102
ICMF
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymattblack View Post
I don't want the seats to look dirty. It's an Enzo after all and I can't really imagine one of these being grubby.
I dunno... I know of at lest one Enzo that's had a 3 year old standing on the seats.

As for HLJ's shipping... could be it's changed since my post? Lucky Model has bumped their shipping price up to $45 now. Though I notice SAL shipping is €56, so I could have transcribed the wrong number.

I'm soooo torn between pulling the trigger on an order (in case the kit disappears in a hurry) and waiting to see if anyone drops their price once the initial rush passes. I'll be kicking myself if I can get it $100 cheaper a month from now but... I'll be kicking myself even harder if I miss it entirely. Decisions, decisions...
ICMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #103
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

not all the owners of Enzo threat theme as all we modellers will do.
take a look at the furious drive of the Luxottica company owner in Rjieka track..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-2yJzcHGqw

they did the same also with an Fxx (the no.28, black)..

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #104
roymattblack
AF Regular

If you're following this thread, you MUST have an interest in the kit.
Don't faff about looking at postage rates, who's cheapest, etc etc.....
BUY THE KIT before they disappear.
Don't forget, Tamiya have already stated this kit is a LIMITED EDITION.
I have no idea how 'limited' it might be, but I for one would be seriously pi--ed if I waited, then couldn't get one!
I have mine!
I can only say, GET ONE NOW!
Roy.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #105
ferrari2k
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to ferrari2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegt40 View Post
not all the owners of Enzo threat theme as all we modellers will do.
take a look at the furious drive of the Luxottica company owner in Rjieka track..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-2yJzcHGqw

they did the same also with an Fxx (the no.28, black)..
Well to be honest I really liked that. I mean, that thing is a racing car, it deserves being driven fast instead of being locked away in a garage.
Cool vid
ferrari2k is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling