Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 06:35 PM   #16
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Re: best handling m3

Quote:
Originally posted by blakwolf
I thought the E30 was supposed to be best handling M3.
The E36 seemed rather mediocre by comparison in the reviews.
i dunno, i never said the E36 was the best M3, i don't know much about the E30. Just that in Car and Driver they said the E36 M3 handles better than a Ferrari F355 and it was like the best handling car of the year one year
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 01:14 AM   #17
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr
An S4 is more meant to compete with the M3.... well not anymore, but it competes more with the E36 M3, that's what it was made for. The A4 competes with the regular 3-series

if i were you, I'd go S4
That's why there is RS4!! Those baby can fly.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 01:16 AM   #18
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The E36 M3 is ALOT better than an E46 330ci

the older M3 is said to handle better than a Ferrari F355!!!
it was called the best handling car

if I were you, i'd so go S4 over 330ci
Yah E36 was said to be the best handling car at that time on the planet. However E46 and E30 are no slouch either.
Old 10-28-2001, 01:19 AM   #19
F20C
AF Enthusiast

S4 can handle pretty well but I have to go with 330Ci cause it handles better. Quatto doesn't allow a lot of things to happen.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:32 PM   #20
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

the RS4 is a wagon though... so i don't think a single guy would want to drive a wagon but if you're married

Have you seen Tiff Needel review the RS4 on Top Gear?? He said that the M3 is a 100 times better, that you just can't have fun with the RS4 unless (then he whispers: don't tell audi) you use the hand brake. He said the main thing it's good for is unbelievable straight line acceleration
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
Old 10-30-2001, 01:20 PM   #21
F20C
AF Enthusiast

What do you expect? It packs 380hp under it's hood.

RS4 can handle just it's not fun to throw around because of Quattro.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:23 PM   #22
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Wagon drives like car and have luggage space like SUV. If there was no station wagon the road would be full of mammoth SUV.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:21 PM   #23
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

BMW hands down

My two cents,
If this were my only car to have, and from the sounds of it this will be for you, I would definately go with the BMW. Heres why:

Performance: just as good as the Audi

Transmission: all BMW trannys are heavenly, whether you pick steptronic or manual. Audis have sloppy manual trannys and the tiptronic is old and outdated. Trust me, ive driven it. BTW, the Sequential manual gearbox is so irresistable that they arent going to ever offer it in the 3 series. If you want it buy it for 2400 bucks on your M3 E46. (Mine is on order :-) )

Engine: BMWs inline 6 makes 225 hp cleanly and without the assistance of turbos, meaning a smoother powerband and much quieter ride. The S4 is much more of a "ricer." Also the BMW engine is excellent on both gas and oil consumption. I went 19,000 miles in my 330ci before the computer told me to change the oil for the first time. I also get about 28 MPG daily.

Versatility: The BMW is a bigger car, and therefore has more room. If you only have one car this is something to consider.

Style: Sorry, you cant get the Audi in a two door model, and arent coupes irresistable?

Value: The Audi is cheaper for a reason. Compare the value of the two cars after two years and see. Also, BMW isnt just a spiffed up VW on the inside. If you like the Audi buy a Passat and save ten grand.

Potential: You can really make a damn fast car out of a 330i with a few grand. go to www.bmw330ci.com and see what one guy did with some brembo brakes...

I hope you make the right choice. I think its funny that you picked the S4 to be the main comparison for your BMW. When I bought my 330ci, the only other thing i looked at was the Saab Viggen. I know that this might seem silly, but in my mind its the only thing that can hold a candle to it. I didn't get the Saab for pretty much all of the reasons I stated above. Peace out!
'01 BMW 330ci
'96 Land Rover Defender 90

Sex appeal: BMW all the way.
ultimatedriver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 08:09 PM   #24
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C
What do you expect? It packs 380hp under it's hood.
huh?
Just because it has 380hp doesn't mean it can't be fun?! :huh:
i don't understand you

ultimatedriver: We're talkin about an Audi S4, not just a regular Audi A4
Old 10-30-2001, 08:26 PM   #25
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

I am aware of that. The BMW still kicks its ass.
ultimatedriver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:46 PM   #26
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Re: BMW hands down

Quote:
Originally posted by ultimatedriver7
My two cents,
If this were my only car to have, and from the sounds of it this will be for you, I would definately go with the BMW. Heres why:

Performance: just as good as the Audi

Transmission: all BMW trannys are heavenly, whether you pick steptronic or manual. Audis have sloppy manual trannys and the tiptronic is old and outdated. Trust me, ive driven it. BTW, the Sequential manual gearbox is so irresistable that they arent going to ever offer it in the 3 series. If you want it buy it for 2400 bucks on your M3 E46. (Mine is on order :-) )

Engine: BMWs inline 6 makes 225 hp cleanly and without the assistance of turbos, meaning a smoother powerband and much quieter ride. The S4 is much more of a "ricer." Also the BMW engine is excellent on both gas and oil consumption. I went 19,000 miles in my 330ci before the computer told me to change the oil for the first time. I also get about 28 MPG daily.

Versatility: The BMW is a bigger car, and therefore has more room. If you only have one car this is something to consider.

Style: Sorry, you cant get the Audi in a two door model, and arent coupes irresistable?

Value: The Audi is cheaper for a reason. Compare the value of the two cars after two years and see. Also, BMW isnt just a spiffed up VW on the inside. If you like the Audi buy a Passat and save ten grand.

Potential: You can really make a damn fast car out of a 330i with a few grand. go to www.bmw330ci.com and see what one guy did with some brembo brakes...

Sex appeal: BMW all the way.
Performance: S4 is league ahead of 330Ci/330Xi. S4 is constant mid 5's and 330Ci is low 6's. I don't think I need to be any clear than that.

Tranmission: S4 have long sloppy Manual. Their Tiptronic was far more reponsive than BMW's Steptronic. You can feel the gears much better in Audi. I find Steptronic awfully boring like Benz's.

Engine: S4's V6 bi turbo makes a healthy 250hp. I am sorry but Turbo makes it just as smooth as 330Ci's inline 6. The bi turbo are twin small turbo application with instant response and no lag. The evidence is in it's max torque achieve at 1900rpm that stays flat all the way to almost redline. BMW's Double Vanos, Valvetronic etc makes the engine smooth but it's still a lot more peaky than S4's engine.

Versatility: BMW is bigger car but not by much.

Value: I don't know man you are paying more in the first place. If you depreciate faster than Audi than that's a big problem. Most european brand car's depreciate faster than japanese brand cars anyways.

Potential: This should be a no brainer. What can you get for 500 bucks that will give you 60hp and 100lb torque? I bet you have to spend at least 4 grand to get the same result on 330's inline6. Careful with your money because S4's will reach 400hp at a much cheaper rate than your inline 6 will I gurantee you. The common rule is never compare potential with a Force Inducted car if your car is not. You will lose and lose badly unless you have one of those ultra strong engine block that was meant to be force inducted or plenty of displacement. It's why NSX get's blown away by Skyline and Supra that have simple mods.

Last edited by F20C; 10-30-2001 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:48 PM   #27
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

huh?
Just because it has 380hp doesn't mean it can't be fun?! :huh:
i don't understand you

I was refering to earlier when you mention it has unbelieveable straightline speed.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:33 PM   #28
s0yb0mb
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to s0yb0mb
I would go w/ the bimmer... Straight line spees goes to the s4, but I think the s4 handles like crap... It's worlds better than the a4, but in comparison, I was expecting a LOT more. Incidientally the IS300 outhandles both, it just needs more power
A good 30 HP or more.
s0yb0mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 10:37 PM   #29
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by s0yb0mb
I would go w/ the bimmer... Straight line spees goes to the s4, but I think the s4 handles like crap... It's worlds better than the a4, but in comparison, I was expecting a LOT more. Incidientally the IS300 outhandles both, it just needs more power
A good 30 HP or more.
5 speed manaul can better take advantage of that engine. Since you have 01 models you have to stick with the E-Shift.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:49 PM   #30
s0yb0mb
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to s0yb0mb
yah, it's my first auto
The woman can't drive stick, so I bought w/ auto, and now she doesn't drive it so I'm cosidering trading for a manual.
s0yb0mb is offline   Reply With Quote