Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

Talking tomos targa lx supercharger???

so i want more power out of my moped and i wonder if i fit a very small vacuum rotor on the thing it would push extra air in if i run very small psi(1-3) would it just blow out my head gasket or would it work

AMGalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

Re: tomos targa lx supercharger???

it will require 1.21 giggawats of electricity, which, when directed into the flux capitor at 88 mph, will shoot you directly to nov 5, 1955...

other than that, it should work if you can get enough volume of air thu the fan.

what is the displacement of the motor
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

It will take way more electricity than your little stator/generator can produce before you make any measurable power. Vacuum blowers are very poor at making pressure. They displace positive volume of air, but that's all. If you plugged your hand over the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner, there is very little pressure. This is also evidenced by the fact that the motor speeds up when you do that instead of slows down.

You'd be much more power ahead to hook a belt to the electric motor and have it help drive the wheel.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

50 cc and would i put it in front of or behind the carb?could i hook up a gear to the chain and drive it off that?
thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

i'd put it in front of the carb if you are intent on doing it.
you wont really get much of a gain anyway.

although with only 50cc to deal with, the vacuum motor should be able to do it... you biggest problem will be, as curtis stated, getting enough electricity to the motor.

as for running it off the chain, well, what chain are you talking about.
the chain to the rear wheel?
i doubt that would be a good idea.

i think the belt thing curtis mentioned was meant as a joke.
what i think he was saying is that you should use the vacuum motor as a drive for the rear wheel.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

yeah i was referring to the chain to the wheel maybe a different motor maybe a hobby car motor those are fast but what about the rotor off the vacuum if i run it backward it should give me boost right?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

it will give you lots of volume of air, but very little pressure. maybe 1-2 psi if you are lucky.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

so does pressure or volume give you power?

Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

well you need both.

think about it like this.
a bike pump can provide a lot of pressure. most can easily pump to ~150 psi.
however, you would never use a bike pump to pump up the tire on your car.
it would just take too long.

car tire pumps (the kind you put in the trunk) are designed to pump a car tire. they usually only pump to around 50-70 psi easily, but can provide a lot more volume.

turbos and superchargers are the same way.

ultimately you want to have a higher psi if you want power, but the pump has to be able to provide that pressure at a high enough volume to not starve the engine at higher rpms.
get it?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Pressure makes power. The engine sucks in its own volume, but by pressurizing the air, it sucks in more molecules of air since they're closely packed together.

Theoretically if you crammed 15 psi into an engine, you're basically doubling atmospheric air pressure, so you compact twice the amount of molecules into the same volume as before... which theoretically doubles the power potential of the engine.

Running a vacuum motor forward will create volume, not pressure. Maybe 1/2 psi. Running it in reverse will do very little. The impellers work best in the direction they're designed to turn, but still, you won't get any real psi from it.

If you want to experiment, I would suggest running it one of two ways:
1) carb-blower-engine. Carburetors operate on pressure differentials through a venturi. As the air flows through, it creates a low pressure area near an orifice with fuel. The low pressure sucks a predictable amount of fuel and all is well. If you supply pressure to the inlet side of the carb, you are supplying pressure where there was once vacuum. Since the fuel bowls, fuel tank, and other parts of the carb are exposed to atmospheric pressure, you would just end up blowing air back through the hole where there is supposed to be fuel being sucked OUT. Placing the vacuum motor after the carb leaves the carb alone. You may have to rejet or otherwise modify the carb to operate properly at the higher flows it will be experiencing... not an easy task with the constant-velocity type carbs found on most bikes. They're typically set up to run in one configuration, period.
2) You could run it blower-carb-engine if you completely encase the carb in the high pressure area. That way the pressure differential is retained. If you add 1 psi to the intake air its OK because you're adding 1 psi to the fuel bowls as well and fuel still flows in the right direction. The only thing you'll need to address is actual fuel supply to the carbs. Your bike uses gravity to fill the carbs with gas. If you give it any pressure, you will slow down or stop the flow of fuel to the carbs. Cars get around this by installing special fuel pressure regulators that increase fuel pressure as blower pressure increases. You won't have that option on your bike unless you engineer a fuel pump/regulator system.

So, experiment at will, but you'll be into crazy money, time, and effort and it won't run right. You might end up damaging things, but there is no better way to learn

Usually with questions like this, the theory is very valid (as yours is, AMGalltheway) but there are little nitpicky reasons why it isn't done. If electric superchargers worked, you'd see them all the time, but they don't. Putting them on a scooter just adds all the extra headaches because of how their fuel systems work.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

thanks for explaining much the moped isn't a real keeper ($350 i kinda just bought someone elses problem) but yeah i will experiment and thanks again

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical