Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > Spider
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
bigpapajoe
AF Newbie

Question alfa romeo exhaust fumes REALLY BAD

I have owned my 1987 alfa romeo spider veloce for about a year and a half, and little by little am finding it in near perfect condition. I have done so much work on it its not even funny, but am still getting an unbearable gasoline/exhaust odor in the cabin while i drive ...maybe its just me, but it completely ruins the feel of a restored alfa romeo when you can smell whats coming out of the exhaust...i have done everything from extending the tailpipe, getting a new top, replacing all worn rubber tubing, changing 02 sensor, replacing worn cabin gaskets (door seals etc) and am currently at a stand still. I really love my car, but if I dont fix this exhaust stench I may very well have to part with it...PLEASE HELP, any type of advise is welcome...thanks
bigpapajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
hvse06
AF Newbie

I am going to be watching this thread because my 88 spider is just as bad. When you get to where you are going, you smell like really rich exhaust, and any plastic bags that may be in the trunk have to be thrown away.
hvse06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Fraz-O-Man
AF Newbie

Re: alfa romeo exhaust fumes REALLY BAD

I just found this site and stumbled onto your posting. I'm restoring a '74 Spider and have the same problem which seemed to start when I replaced the stock exhaust system with an aftermarket one that has a straight tailpipe instead of the "curved toward the ground" shape. I'm hoping that adding a bend to the tailpipe will help... it'll be awhile before I get to it as I currently have the steering, suspension and brakes dismantled.
Fraz-O-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
davidmjh
AF Newbie

yes it is a problem, a bit of a design fault
davidmjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Twidget
AF Newbie

The vapor return system is located in the trunk of the car. There are several hoses that can deteriorate over time. Check them out. There are kits available, made from newer materials.
Don't know what to say about the exhaust fumes. never had a problem with my car. When sitting in traffic I'll smell a bit of exhuast, but that's to be expected. Under-way, nada.

Twidget
79 Spider Veloce

Wes Ingram Rocks!
Twidget is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > Spider