Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 03:35 AM   #1
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Turbo on an LS

Okay, I have an LS in my civic. I know first off, I know I need to make it a manual tranny, thats a given. Don't ask why I have an LS auto in my car, long story. Now, my question is, I am planing to eventaully build up the engine, close the deck, etc, to handle a sh*tload of boost. My goal is 400hp. I've been researching what I need to do to get their. I know also know the LS tranny is great for Turbocharging, cuz of its longer gear ratios (I also know I'll need new axles, an LSD, etc). My question is, I was thinkin, it'd be best to keep it an LS, not an LS/Vtec, with the goals I have. I am not sure though. If I went LS/Vtec, it'd be a GSR head, and I was thinkin a Type-r tranny (has an LSD) and ecu. Or would you still keep it an LS tranny and just add the vtec ecu. I know a few places, from a few here one in cali and one in arizona, that do good LS/Vtecs. WHat are your thoughts. Keep in a regualr LS and build it up? or Build up an LS/VTec. I heard for such I high HP app, I'd be better off keepin it a regular LS.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #2
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Don't do LS VTEC. Unreliable and not worth the money it would take to do it right. Get the LS tranny, no Type R tranny, they are even worse for turbo than a GSR tranny.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
liquid8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to liquid8
with the type r tranny your gears will be sooo short cuz you can only rev to 7200. first gear would end at 25 and that would be gay
Old 06-05-2003, 07:08 PM   #4
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
Quote:
Don't do LS VTEC. Unreliable and not worth the money it would take to do it right. Get the LS tranny, no Type R tranny, they are even worse for turbo than a GSR tranny.
Quote:
with the type r tranny your gears will be sooo short cuz you can only rev to 7200. first gear would end at 25 and that would be gay
Both of you stop and I doubt either of you have EVER even seen a frankenstein, if you have it was some piece of shit some dumbass threw together in you town and had it blow up. LSvtec and CRVtec's are reliabe as hell if you build it right and not to mention can be built to destroy. And the tranny, hmmmm, do either of you even know the gear ratios, obviously not, they are the same 1st gear in ALL the hydraulic trannies 3.230, and USDM LS/GS/SE have the SAME second as the GSR, as a matter of fact the Y21/S21/S4C/S80 ALL have the same 1-4 with the 5th gear and the FD being different in the JDM ITR and 3 and 4 in the USDM GSR, and the USDM/JDM GSR and the US LS have the same 1st and 2nd, which is where your money is in a race. So next time you post shit that you have no idea about, do it in your own home and not on a public forum
Old 06-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #5
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Hey, thanx for the info guys. I had heard that LS/Vtecs and Type-r trannys where no good for a turbo, but that was just heresay, and no one would tell me why. and the magazines were no good either, they are all "do LS/Vtec cuz it's cool." thanx for the info, it will come to good use someday. The last thing I wanna do is build the enginewrong and get the wrong tranny for that type of app. now that I think bout what u said for the tranny, yea, your right. The LS tranny's longer gear ratios are more turbo friendly, thats why some High HP gears use LS trannys I am guessin. Again, thanx for the help, and feel free to drop any more advice if ya have any.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:26 PM   #6
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

jcrx...since I am guessin you read my above question, can I get your opinion? You read what goals are and what I am trying to do. So, non-vtec LS or LS/Vtec? and what tranny do you like? Mind you, I'm gonna fully build whichever I choose, and pay to have it done right. It costs way more to fix it once its broke, lol. Again, any opinions and info would be great. I am lookin to learn as much as I can. Now that I know my goal, I just need to deicded on the route to get there. Thanx for the help, whoever helps out
Old 06-05-2003, 07:28 PM   #7
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
Gear ratois and spool time are definitely something you want to consider, but you also have to think about your powerband on a certain engine and build as far as where it produces power. For people to say that the type R tranny and the other vtec trannies are not good for turbo is negligent. Powerband is what you need to consider when you are doing a build, not hearsay about what is good for what, based on " what I heard was" bullshit. Honestly, it is not resonable to say "this is the best for your application" till you get on a dyno and experiment. I would choose a GSR as a good middle ground to start at if I were I your shoes. There is a reason that people ( including Honda) choose the type R tranny over the LS one though for high power applications. Those long gears do sound good if you are after extended trips to the uper RPM range, but the shorter gears insure you stay in your powerband and not drop out in between shifts.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jcrx
but the shorter gears insure you stay in your powerband and not drop out in between shifts.
You don't know what you're talking about. The LS Tranny is better for a turbo application, as the longer gearing helps spool the turbo. He's going to keep the B18B1, he just wants to know if to do a Frankenstein or not. So he needs the LS tranny, because even with the GSR head it's not going to rev over 7500 RPM. And you're going on talking about the powerband, there is a reason honda mated the LS tranny with an LS you know. And this thing about the Type R tranny, it's good for N/A applications only. The Type R tranny with a turbocharged LS engine would suck balls. You would never be in the 'powerband'' very long with a Type R tranny. GSR tranny is closer ratio to the Type R tranny than to the LS tranny.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:41 AM   #9
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Thanx for the info Would you make it a frankinstein (LS/Vtec it) then with that tranny or leave the LS be?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:34 AM   #10
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Leave it an LS. Like the one guy said that I was arguing with, LS/VTEC IS reliable - but you have to pay out the ass to get it that way. It's not worth it. Get a good P/P job with a competition 5 angle valve job, maybe a cam swap thats specifically meant for a turbo application and you will make more power and probably still cost less than LS/VTEC.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:16 AM   #11
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Send a message via Skype™ to mellowboy
Quote:
Originally posted by PWMAN

You don't know what you're talking about. The LS Tranny is better for a turbo application, as the longer gearing helps spool the turbo. He's going to keep the B18B1, he just wants to know if to do a Frankenstein or not. So he needs the LS tranny, because even with the GSR head it's not going to rev over 7500 RPM. And you're going on talking about the powerband, there is a reason honda mated the LS tranny with an LS you know. And this thing about the Type R tranny, it's good for N/A applications only. The Type R tranny with a turbocharged LS engine would suck balls. You would never be in the 'powerband'' very long with a Type R tranny. GSR tranny is closer ratio to the Type R tranny than to the LS tranny.

I totally agree with you! Anways about ls v-tec yes its reliable if built right but theres a break down period. My friend called this shop which i forgot who but its a shop in cali and they're known for building ls v-tecs. Well he wanted to know how much he'll do it for and he told him the price and he explained the break down period. It means that it'll last a certain time and then you have to rebuild it again. I'm not quite sure if this is true but i dont have any doubts that it wouldn't be true. Well if i was you i'd just keep it str8 ls motor. Theres a guy around here running 12s with STOCK ls motor with upgraded fuel and i think he has a f-max turbo kit on there. I believe hes running 12 lbs of boost which is pretty damn good for a stock motor. So get the ls trans along with light fly wheel to cause less turbo lag , upgraded clutch, LSD would be nice of course!
mellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #12
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

thanx for the info mellowboy
Old 06-07-2003, 09:53 AM   #13
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
Also if you get a lsd try to keep your final drive gear, If t=you install the type r final drive with the lsd then you will have screwed up your gear ratios try to keep the 4.266.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:45 AM   #14
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

what LSD brands, etc, do you recommend. It sounds like I'll end up going with an LS tranny from what I am hearing. and also from what I am hereing here, I think it would be smart of me to keep the LS non-vtec, and not do the LS/Vtec. What LSD's are good? Adding an LSD to the LS tranny wont mess with the gear/final drive ratio's, will it?
Old 06-08-2003, 08:01 AM   #15
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

No it doesn't change anything about the gearing. Quaife have the best LSD's. I think thats how you spell it - quiafe.???