Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
RicerKid15
AF Newbie

Questions About Audio...

ok i am lookin at buying audio for my car, i was wondering do i need a amp that gives the exact max of the speakers...like my speakers give up to 220watt with 35watts continously.. and a sub that goes up to 600watts and runs 150 watts continously ...i dont plan to use it to its max...so can i go wit a like 400watt amp? or do i really need a amp that goes around 880watt.?
RicerKid15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
tr10av
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to tr10av
Re: Questions About Audio...

You need to be in the ballpark with your RMS ratings. Around 50 Watts is fine. Too low of wattage or too high of a wattage will ruin your speakers over time.
Hifonics TXi 6406 Bridged to 2 Channels
VR3 CD/MP3 Player
COMING SOON:
Component Set
Amp for components
tr10av is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
L|_|da
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to L|_|da

OMFG, you CAN NOT, you will NEVER blow speaker with TO LITTLE wattage, runnning 1W to a 1000W rms woofer wont kill it, thats common sense, if that were true you would kill you speakers evertime you turn you stereo down.
----on topic----
you want to amp everything to the RMS, or continuous wattage.
L|_|da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

I feel like a broken record saying this over and over and over again, but here it goes....again (this is worded towards subs and sub amps, but the same goes for your mids and highs too, I copied it from a post I made on ECA and am too lazy to rewrite it)

There is no problem with having more power than necessary on tap. The way I see it, if you turn up the volume high enough to fry the sub, then your listening habits require more output than the sub in its current install is capable of, the amp is a non-issue. If your sub IS capable of as much output as you need, then it's best to give it an amp which is able to provide it with as much power as it requires to do it's job. If the amp is capable of even more that's fine, it just means the amp will run cooler and cleaner at the level you'll be using it at. Using a smaller amp will do nothing but cut off the sub's balls. The only downsides to using a larger amp vs a smaller amp are that the larger amp costs more and takes up more space in your trunk.

If I had the money and the space I would use 2kw amps on every one of my speakers, tweeters included, just to prove a point to all the people out there who think using a larger amp than necessary is somehow a bad thing. And never having to worry about clipping kicks ass....

In other words, buy whatever size amp you want. If it's too small then it'll start distorting at a low volume and your music will sound like ass (and the clipping will send quite a bit more power to your speakers, possibly frying the coils prematurely). If the amp is large enough, then it's out of the picture and you just have to worry about if the speakers have enough balls to keep up with your listening habits. If they do then you're golden, if they don't then they'll distort and/or blow (at this point many people will blame the large amp for the speakers failure. But it's not the amp's fault you destroyed the speaker, it's your fault, you pushed the speaker too far and caused it to fail, all the amp did was exactly what you asked it to do).

So in summary, buy as big of an amp as you're willing to afford and have the space for. If you get one that's too big then you've just wasted a little money, but you can rest assured that it will do no more damage to your speakers than any other amp, and at least you won't have to worry about clipping, overheating, or buying a new amp if you upgrade speakers in the future.

And as L|_|da mentioned, ALWAYS look at rms power on both speakers and amp, peak is meaningless.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
L|_|da
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to L|_|da

nice post for the billionth time sr20.

to recap -
big amps good
small amps bad
there is no "too big" amp
there is a "to small" amp
if your woofer doesnt have the balls to keep up with the amp it will fry them.
L|_|da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

Nicely put.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD