Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
docwiese
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Engine Swap- 1988 VG30ET motor into a 1984 Nissan 720 Truck

Anyone know the difficulty of placing my 1988 VG30et (turbo) motor that came out of a 300ZX back into a 1984 720 truck?
docwiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Engine Swap- 1988 VG30ET motor into a 1984 Nissan 720 Truck

you will have to do some cutting and hacking to get the intercooler in there and not sure how well the engine will clear the steerng components. will also need to change the transmission, exhaust and the wiring harness and ecu to get it to run. also not sure how well the rear axle will stand up to double the HP of the old engine and of course its going to need some fabricated motor mounts and other modifications, be a lot easier to find a 300zx with a blown engine or a regular 300zx to swap your engine into
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
docwiese
AF Newbie

Hey, thanks for the info.. I see this has been done before in a 520 and a 720 truck.. Mine happens to be a Sunrader RV, which has the 720 body. I took this out of a 300ZX sport. I have the wring Harness and brains, will find someone to remove all the parts to this harness that deals with smog or extra things I do not need. I left the other harness in to accommodate the lights and everything else. 84 did not have a brain.. Might put a pinto front end on to remove much of the stuff in my way.. that is if all this once I see what is in the way. Yes, I know the steering is in the way especially with the turbo right there.. I am wondering if the turbo will miss the frame or maybe I can lift the motor a little. Pan is also a problem if I try and keep stock front end.. Anyone have info on if a truck pan will work? Also not sure if the alternator will hit or not or will I have to move it.. Anyone done this with a turbo motor.. I am not sure about this cross over exhaust behind the motor on how to deal with it without having to cut the firewall anyone have info on that.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
docwiese
AF Newbie

I also have the stock five speed manual trans that came with the VG30et. it is heavy duty for the power this motor has. I believe the stock five speed behind that little four cylinder would not be able to take this power. Rearend as you say may be another issue.. Have any suggestions. Being it is an RV and not an actual 720 truck this rearend might be stronger.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Crvett69
AF Moderator

the 2 and 4wd truck pans should fit but you may have to modify them a little depending on where you put the mounts on the frame, the motor is a bit shorter so you can shift it forward a little when you weld the new mount supports in to avoid messing with the firewall. the transmission in your motorhome will not bolt to or stand up to your turbo engine. on the rear axle if it has the full floating axles it should be strong enough to handle the engine. if its a fake dually rear axle its the same as a stock truck one, may or may not take the extra power. you will probably have to have a custom driveshaft made. do you really need a turbo motorhome, a non turbo should have plenty enough power over a L20b engine and a lot less hastle if something breaks while your on vacation
Old 04-19-2015, 02:26 AM   #6
docwiese
AF Newbie

I agree, I don't need a turbo, BUT that is what I got when I bought this 300zx. Did not know when I bought it, OK I am fine with the power.. I will not be using the my original stock 5 speed off the four cylinder, as I said... I will be using the 5 speed manual tran that comes with the VG30et motor. I have been thinking if I should change the front clip to a Mustang 2 to get rid of this steering box that is in the way of the turbo and Exhaust. Have any other suggestion on leaving what I have but doing something else with this steering box set up?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
Agustiner
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwiese View Post
I also have the stock five speed manual trans that came with the VG30et. it is heavy duty for the power this motor has. I believe the stock five speed https://www.stlcurioshoppe.com/v-tight-gel-review/ behind that little four cylinder would not be shark tank weight loss how to get skinny fast crazy bulk reviews best sarms testogen gnc amazon zantrex black reviews modere trim reviews able to take this power. Rearend as you say may be another issue.. Have any suggestions. Being it is an RV and not an actual 720 truck this rearend might be stronger.

Yes its Great

Last edited by Agustiner; 10-15-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Agustiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Did you ever do the swap?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)