Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Dakoe
AF Newbie

ABS swap on a 1998 intrigue

I have a 1998 intrigue with the Delco Delphi VI ABS setup that is attached directly to the master cylinder.

back story:
When I had purchased my car the rear breaks did not work so I tore down the motor pack and checked the motors, they all looked good and since at the time I couldn't find another one in the area I put it back together with the motors in an open position and didn't plug the unit back into the power source. This let me use my rear breaks.

today:
I've now decided that I want to fix this so that I can get the ABS back up and going, and get rid of the lights on my dash (at least the lights caused by this, there are some others i'm still trying to figure out).

question:
What I'm curious of is if it is possible for me to purchase an ABS system that is of the newer type for the intrigues and grand prix and use that instead of purchasing one of the Delco units? Will this throw up any kind of confusion between any of the systems or should I be able to drop in the ABS motors and computer and have everything work correctly? I realize i'll have to redo some of the lines to new positions / new ends on them but that isn't a big issue for me at this point. I just don't want to get into anything that will be costly, or 'nearly' impossible to pull off without lots of experience. Any help / suggestions / etc would be appreciated, Thank you.
Dakoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Dakoe
AF Newbie

Re: ABS swap on a 1998 intrigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivasauto View Post
Possible but not practical. I suggest you go to a website like gmpartsgiant or compnine that has a diagram with part numbers, and do the research.
If it isn't practical then I most certainly will just stick to getting another Delco unit. Don't want to put much work into a change over (particularly having to have possibly the PCM reprogrammed to accept the ABS). I was just hoping that since the cars are almost identical in every other way except a few small things and the ABS unit that they have that it would be just a drop in replacement.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by ABS motors. Do you mean the ABS electrohydraulic unit that sits on the left front fender? You may have a problem when you mix and match calipers and electrohydraulics. Again, checking the part numbers will tell you.
The delco that is on some of the intrigues (changed out mid production) and some of the grand prix is a single unit with the computer and motor pack (electrohydraulic section of the unit) all together. This is directly attached to the master cylinder with no lines between it. There is nothing on the front fender well as far as I know that deals with the abs. This is what the unit looks like http://preview.tinyurl.com/3bs44el .

Didn't think about the calipers, I'll check to see if the 2000 uses the same ones at the 98 and that should let me know on that.

Quote:
Why not go back with OEM?
The newer ABS system is of a higher quality and less likely to fail from what I've read. It also is easier to deal with if there is any kind of issues. I also can get one cheaper than I can get the Delco unit.
Dakoe is offline   Reply With Quote