Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
cody_e
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to cody_e Send a message via MSN to cody_e Send a message via Yahoo to cody_e
Thinking of buying a '70 Mach 1 Mustang. Question on resale value

There is a guy who restores and sells Mustangs near where I live. He is one of the best restorers around and has had stuff on Barrett Jackson, as well as restored one of Carroll Shelby's personal cars so I don't worry about the workmanship of the vehicle.

I am doing some research right now and if the VIN matches and everything checks out, I'm thinking of buying this car (pending a loan and if insurance doesn't kill me). My main concern is this car is $23,800 and is not stock. It appears it has been modified a bit to go like an SOB. I'm all for performance, but my main concerns are resale value.

The following are the specs listed on the website:

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }span.xrtl { }span.xrs4 { }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } 351 CJ 4V with Top Loader 4-speedTorker Alum Intake, Holley Carb, Corbra Jet Valve Covers, Mallory Electronic Ignition w/Blue Max Plug Wires, Long Tube Headers,Electronic Fuel Pump w/Pressure Gauge, Flex Fan- 3 core radiator,HiRev Alt Pulley, Power steering,Power disc brakes w/Hurst line lock,Foward shock tower brace, 9” rear end, Detroit locker, Hurst Shifter w/full council, factory rim blow wheel, factory tach w/added Autometer tach (both work), factory fold down seat, custom stereo system, trunk courtesy light, subframe connectors w/ custom ladder bars, factory Cobra Jet Hood scoop, factory Ford lovers, deck spoiler, front spoiler, twist lock hood pins, custom wheels w/new Radial Ties. Motor is strong with mild cam and dual exhaust

What are your guys opinion on this and is this worth the $23,800 he is asking? I did some research and on NADA it appears the price is around the average price for the range this car typically sells for.

The website is http://www.kuyothbody.com/cars%20for%20sale.htm You can see it there. What you guys think?
cody_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Thinking of buying a '70 Mach 1 Mustang. Question on resale value

With a car like this, value is a complicated issue. The most important thing is overall condition and to be sure all repairs and restoration was done properly.

Details matter in this price range. A really good, flawless paint job adds a couple of thousand to the value. A cheapo paint job with poor materials and full of orange peel detract from the value.

All other things equal, a modified car is worth less than a well -optioned original. The original engine and transmission add value, replacements don't.

Imho $23,000 is a premium price for this car. But is its in excellent shape with well-done mods, its worthwhile, especially if it provides years of trouble-free enjoyment for you.

However, if it's less than perfect, in any way, don't bother.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
cody_e
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to cody_e Send a message via MSN to cody_e Send a message via Yahoo to cody_e
Re: Thinking of buying a '70 Mach 1 Mustang. Question on resale value

I had my uncle, who is a body man, come along and he said this isn't worth it so I'm not going to get this car.
cody_e is offline   Reply With Quote