Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Tire Patching

One of my tires got pierced by a nail. I am planning to just patch it since tires can only be changed in pairs. Is it safe and worthy?. And if I patch it, how long will it last?
beepbeepph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tire Patching

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeepph View Post
One of my tires got pierced by a nail. I am planning to just patch it since tires can only be changed in pairs. Is it safe and worthy?. And if I patch it, how long will it last?

There are some rules: Tires should not be repaired if the puncture is bigger than 3/8". It should only be repaired if the puncture is within the tread area, excluding the outermost rib. If should be repaired with a patch/plug combination.

If done correctly, a patch/plug repair will last the life of the tire.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
peggywelker0777 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Dave B.
AF Regular

CapriRacer is exactly right in his/her tire patching advice.

Just for the record, there is no actual rule that says tires can only be replaced in pairs. Although it's generally a good idea, some tire stores make a big deal out of it and use it to sell tires that the customer may not really need. I'm an old guy and have sold tires at several different stores over the years and, for a time, was a service manager for a major tire brand. If you're dealing with relatively new tires, there's no reason you can't buy just one tire - as long as it matches the others.

You can also buy good used tires on the internet. I've used ebay seller VYC Tires before, but there are others. If you decide to do this, I'd advise you to invest in a tread depth gauge. They're cheap ($4.99 at Summit... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-60504/overview/) and will allow you to buy a tire with close to the same amount of tread as what your damaged one had. You can also pick up a depth gauge at most retail auto parts stores at comparable prices. Just be sure to copy the info from the tire's sidewall to use in your search.
You'll need the tire brand, model and exact size. Here's an example:
Brand: Michelin
Model: Defender
Size: 205/55 R 16

In any case, good luck with your tires!

Last edited by Dave B.; 12-20-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
There are some rules: Tires should not be repaired if the puncture is bigger than 3/8". It should only be repaired if the puncture is within the tread area, excluding the outermost rib. If should be repaired with a patch/plug combination.

If done correctly, a patch/plug repair will last the life of the tire.
Great! Thanks for sharing this. Such a great help.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B. View Post
CapriRacer is exactly right in his/her tire patching advice.

Just for the record, there is no actual rule that says tires can only be replaced in pairs. Although it's generally a good idea, some tire stores make a big deal out of it and use it to sell tires that the customer may not really need. I'm an old guy and have sold tires at several different stores over the years and, for a time, was a service manager for a major tire brand. If you're dealing with relatively new tires, there's no reason you can't buy just one tire - as long as it matches the others.

You can also buy good used tires on the internet. I've used ebay seller VYC Tires before, but there are others. If you decide to do this, I'd advise you to invest in a tread depth gauge. They're cheap ($4.99 at Summit... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-60504/overview/) and will allow you to buy a tire with close to the same amount of tread as what your damaged one had. You can also pick up a depth gauge at most retail auto parts stores at comparable prices. Just be sure to copy the info from the tire's sidewall to use in your search.
You'll need the tire brand, model and exact size. Here's an example:
Brand: Michelin
Model: Defender
Size: 205/55 R 16

In any case, good luck with your tires!
Thanks for the advice! Highly appreciated

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General