Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
gulby46
AF Newbie

How to tell a 63 ZO6 Corvette?

I recently purchased a 63 corvette. I think it may be a zo6 because of the master cylinder. I would like any other information I could verify this.
Any ideas on where to search or expertise would be helpful. Thanks!
gulby46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
SkylineMan32

Re: How to tell a 63 ZO6 Corvette?

well, the Z06 is a 363ci motor, break out the ruler. Also did you pay around $200,000, that tends to be a dead give away. J/K. The 363ci is true, and it should show up in the vin find a corvette club that can run it and there is a master list soemwhere that says which cars were the Z06s. Also this is a very very rare car, they are hard to just fall into. Almost all of them are catalogued, restored, museumed, not for sale, and the owners know what they are and would accidentally sell them.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Re: How to tell a 63 Z06 Corvette?

Check here for information on the 1963 Corvette Z06

Three generations of Corvette Z06s
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
sub006
AF Enthusiast

It had better be a split-window coupe. Out of about 200 built in '63, only one convertible has turned up.

If it is a Z06 with all original equipment intact it will have brake drums with cooling scoops and multi-segmented brake shoes. The self-adjusters will only work on forward stops, not reverse as is normal.

It will have a Rochester FI unit instead of a carburetor and a 6500 rpm redline on the tach.

It MAY have a 36 gallon gas tank. Many did, but it was not mandatory. Also, few of these cars have radios.

And don't listen to Skyline about the displacement. All '63's had 327 cubic inches. The five Grand Sports were 377 ci, maybe he was confusing them with the Z06 option.

He is correct that these rare cars are VERY expensive. With ProTeam and its competitors scouring barns and junkyards for the last 25 years it's hard to believe there are many left to be found. If you have one, even if all the equipment is changed, it's worth six figures to a collector who can convert it back to an original-spec Z06.

Last edited by sub006; 09-12-2007 at 12:15 PM.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
1pmarlow
AF Newbie

My father had one that we restored here's things to look for

36 gallon tank (as mentioned early Z06 had them late year they were deleted went to a 32 gallon I believe)
327/360hp fulie
Positraction
Drum brakes were finned
Power booster had dual hydos
front springs were HD @550lbs/in ratio
front sway bar was HD@0.94 standard was 0.75
rear springs also HD @305lbs/in ratio
Knock off rims (early models had them some late year models did not)
None that I have seen had a passanger side mirror early year Z06 had a long base drivers side mirror the late year models had the same mirror found on the 64-67 vettes

thats about all I remeber for now
1pmarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
sub006
AF Enthusiast

1pmarlow has some good information.

The 6x15 knock-off aluminum wheels are the subject of a lot of contradictory information. Early publicity photos of hand-built '63 prototypes had cast-aluminum knock-offs with TWO-eared hubs. The '63 catalog and advertisements showed the correct 3-prongs.

Knock-off wheels were on the 1963 order forms, but to my knowledge no '63 cars were delivered with them because the supplier (Kelsey-Hayes?) had quality or production problems. They became available for the '64 through '66 model years and many '63 owners bought and installed them. For that matter, so did some '57 Nomad and '65 Chevelle SS owners, among others!

The earliest memory I have of a '63 Z06 being raced on knock-offs was Ralph Salyer's in the fall of 1963. His car was memorable for having squarish fender flares and rear brake scoops. And knock-offs were available over-the-counter at Chevy dealers by that time, the last quarter of 1963.

Thus, surviving '63 Z06's may or may not have knock-offs today. Their presence is not a problem for most people; I consider them a "delayed option". But if a restoration is meant to represent the car as it left the St. Louis factory or appeared on the showroom floor, it should have 5 1/2x15 steel wheels, painted black.

Wonder if NCRS has a position on this question?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
1pmarlow
AF Newbie

we could ask nolan adams ? we did knock offs
1pmarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
FourG63 97GST
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FourG63 97GST

well I learnt something new today
Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
midas3
AF Newbie

I am having a hard time verifying Z06 options. I have had a 63 Corvette garaged for 22 years, and i am only now verifying the parts. I verified the positraction, 15 " drum brakes, (not sure what finned /scoop looks like) radio was an after market of about 2 or 3 years. , i have pictures of leafs but everyone around here is counting 7 and 9, muncie 4 speed' ' independent rear suspension, painted black steel wheels ( can someone id the photo on that to further verify?) heavy duty front springs. small mirror on driver side only, tank is hard to id size. what is the formula? thanks
midas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas3 View Post
I am having a hard time verifying Z06 options. I have had a 63 Corvette garaged for 22 years, and i am only now verifying the parts. I verified the positraction, 15 " drum brakes, (not sure what finned /scoop looks like) radio was an after market of about 2 or 3 years. , i have pictures of leafs but everyone around here is counting 7 and 9, muncie 4 speed' ' independent rear suspension, painted black steel wheels ( can someone id the photo on that to further verify?) heavy duty front springs. small mirror on driver side only, tank is hard to id size. what is the formula? thanks
It's easy to identify a big tank coupe, the luggage area behind the seats looks different with the floor a few inches higher than a non-Z06. Just park it next to a known 20-gallon coupe and compare.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
PARTSMANCARLOS
AF Newbie

I have a complete set of 1963 z06 mint n.o.s.metalic brake shoes in the original genuine chevrolet boxes including the special break-in directions papers,if interested please reply to 603-744-7913..thanks,karl
PARTSMANCARLOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
sub006
AF Enthusiast

midas3, I believe the Muncie trans was introduced with the '64 models. '63s should have Warner T-10s, the unit used for all four-speed Corvettes going back to 1957.

Some MAY have sneaked into very late '63 production, but most likely if your car has a Muncie, it was a replacement unit installed at some time after original delivery.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette