Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Scratchbuild Seminar 1-Getting Started

A few members have asked me to shed some light on my techniques for scratch building. I am honored and humbled to do so. I will be holding a series of classes/seminars on the forum in which I will cover all area's from Getting Started to the fabrication process. I hope you enjoy these threads as they develop. If you have any questions please post so in the pertaining class/seminar discussion.

::
The first thing to cover is getting started. To get started you need to develop an idea. Then start to put create a design. The difference between an idea and a design is designs are hard copies of an idea for all to see. An idea is a mere thought, or creation from the depths of your imagination and brain activity of electrical neruon stimulus. A design on the opposite side of the table is the language an idea communicates through.

To create a design you need to take out a piece of paper and sketch. It doesnt matter if you are an amazing artist or cant draw a stick figure, just get some lines down on paper. The eye needs to be trained to see how things are composed. Every piece of matter is composed of shapes. Once you see the shapes in objects it is all down hill from there. If you can see how an object is put together with simple shapes, then you will be an expert scratch builder and designer in no time. The key to scratch building, which cannot be emphasized enough, is seeing how objects are made up of shapes and proportions.

Know to understand something you have to understand the principles behind it. This is why I am covering the fundamentals of scratch building. Without these you will forever be scratching your head. Now behind principles are roots. The roots are the ground for the principles. I will explain how and why seeing shapes inside objects is important. If you can see how an object is made up of shapes, then you will be able to see how to translate that object into a variety of pieces to build up. If you can manipulate the object in your head, or on paper and tear it down into the basic shapes then you can take those shapes and trace them on to your material and build the object. In other words, if you can see the simple shapes in an object, you can see how it was built, then you can figure out how to reconstruct it yourself.

This ability wont come over night. You will train your eye to notice these simple shapes. There are three simple shapes, triangles, ellipses, and rectangles. To train your eye, stare at an object and break it down into those three simple shapes. Then translate it onto paper. This excercise will give you a more keen eye and noticeability to how things are constructed and will be the essential fundamental for scratch building.
::

The next lesson will start covering where to go from the design aspect with a few more fundamentals of how to build. I hope you enjoy these classes. Each class will be a step in scratch building. This is the basic formula I follow for each of my builds and I hope it helps you. Thanks.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike@af For This Useful Post:
vanien (08-14-2011)
Old 09-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Ran
AF Fanatic

Re: Scratchbuild Seminar 1-Getting Started

Thanks for taking your time and making this, I'm sure the tips in here will help people when scratchbuilding.

Can't wait to see the next part.
Ran

Please read the AF guidelines
if you haven't read them before.
Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

grazie senor, some valid comments there! got it printed!

oli
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
Ford-freak
AF Newbie

cool lessons from the styreen master himself.

looking good just printed out the first part and cant whait for the next one
Ford-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

nice one. Can't wait to get the whole "article".
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Nice info. The 'basics' are so important, yet so easy to forget...

Thanks

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Next part should be coming within the coming days. Yesterday I had an allergic reaction to something and was out of it all day. Thanks for reading, I am glad you've enjoyed it and I hope all can learn from it.

Vric, if you'd like you can add these Seminar's to ScaleWiki.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: Re: Scratchbuild Seminar 1-Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
Vric, if you'd like you can add these Seminar's to ScaleWiki.
I was about to ask you once the article will be done

Thanks
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling