Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
shrekky
AF Newbie

Question dont know the year of corvette

im looking at buying a c4 corvette i know its somewhere in the mid 80's but the headlights are confusing my on the actual year, they dont fold down, they are stationary on top if the hood, can anyone tell my the year or is this aftermaartket or maybe limited edition?? thanks
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
pete44
AF Newbie

Re: dont know the year of corvette

A picture would help me..but I know in the olden days you could actually look at the tail lamp date codes ...(give or take a year)

Pete
pete44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

Are you sure it's was corvette? Did you see the logo at front? Or the look at rear?
2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1L OHV (sold)
2004 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L DOHC manual (sold)
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L OHV (sold)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC (sold)

A Windstar without having the check engine light is not a real Windstar.

serge_saati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Maybe the headlights are just stuck open? See what another similar car looks like with the lights up to compare.

Otherwise it might be some crazy aftermarket conversion. A picture would help.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekky View Post
the headlights are confusing my on the actual year, they dont fold down, they are stationary on top if the hood
When you mean stationary on top of the hood, you mean that?:

Or you mean on the top of hood like in the new generation. Without possibility of folding like that?:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1L OHV (sold)
2004 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L DOHC manual (sold)
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L OHV (sold)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC (sold)

A Windstar without having the check engine light is not a real Windstar.

serge_saati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
batvette
AF Newbie

All corvettes have had folding headlights from the factory since '63 until the C6 redesign covered them in clear plastic.

Some aftermarket kits were popular on C3's in the "corvette summer abomination/flies having sex/WTF is that hideous thing" era. Not my thing but as not many things in this world are as enchanting as Annie Potts' hips (more accurately the wide space in the middle) as she sported in that movie, I understand there may be something to the attraction. Good God she was pure sex at the time.

If you like the C4's with that look buy a '84-87 and be patient. You'll get it, especially in cold climates. Ice up your hood a few times and hit the switch, the gears are easy to strip. '88's were redesigned stouter.

GM sells the whole bucket/motor assembly as its smallest replaceable unit and it's pretty much a criminal enterprise there. My '86 saw both its actuators quit within a year of each other, as I usually do when faced with an expensive (sealed) replacement part purchase I figured what's to lose, trashing them anyway-carefully destroyed mine taking them apart just to find the limiting switches had jumped out of their seats. Realigned them, beefed up their seats with some plastic adhesive and scrap part plastic, then glued the assemblies back together with 3m weatherstripping adhesive. (along with JB weld, a tool of the gods!)

That was in the mid 90's, when I drove the car last about 5 years ago they were still functioning fine. I believe GM wanted 600 for the pair, MAC sells a conversion kit for 88+ to be used on pre 88's and the whole shebang with new actuators was $1k-1.2k back then.

Probably a nice setup but that is what I call "go to Vegas with enough coke for the weekend" money. I'm straight now so can laugh about it but AKA stupid money. Fixed mine for $5 in glue but it's often just the gears that are bad.
batvette is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette