Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc From ATVs to Watercraft, Go karts to Lawn Mowers, discuss your small engines here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
drew300
AF Enthusiast

too much oil

I haven't yet found an answer, so hopefully some-one has one....
I have an '87 Johnson 8 hp, 2 stroke.
It works fine if i leave it on the transom.
I store it for a week at a time, off the transom, laying down, handle up, which puts the spark plugs pointed down. To store it, I disconnect the fuel line, and let the carb run dry. When I remount it on the transom, it won't start because the plugs ar FULL of oil.
The ratio of gas / oil is right. I've checked the thermostat, it's good. (I figured if the engine was too cold, the oil would condense)
The repair people don't have any ideas, so I thought I'd ask here.
Thanks
drew300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: too much oil

You have an oil injection system in it, right? (It uses straight gas, no premix)

The injection system may be leaking. I am not sure if this is 'normal' or how to fix it.

However, everyone I know stores their outboards in a vertical position, (never lying down) by clamping it to a workbench, hanging it by the garage rafters, etc.
This may be obvious, but if it only has this problem, lying down, consider changing your storage position, if possible.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
drew300
AF Enthusiast

Re: too much oil

Thanks for the reply.
It doesn't have oil injection, just pre-mix the fuel. 50:1.
Since I don't get to use my boat too often, and I'm worried about thieft, and a couple of other things, I store the motor in the "trunk" of the boat, out of sight.
Yes, storing it upright is a good answer, but not the one I'm looking for.
This year I've bought "Amsoil" synthetic 2 stroke oil, which they claim I can mix at 100:1 and this will be fine for the engine, as well as pollute less.
I haven't had time to launch the boat yet, (!) so I don't know how this will work this year.
drew300 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc