Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
mgt
AF Newbie

Advise for purchasing Tamiya Airbrush

Hey guys,

I'm getting back into car modelling after a year lay off, and I am looking to purchase my first airbrush, and my budget is around $200-250. I am a slow builder and a casual modeller. I use exclusively Tamiya acrylic jar paints for brush painting small to medium size parts, and Tamiya lacquers for larger areas; I wish to replace brush painting with airbrushing. I spray my car bodies and very large areas (such as a chassis) with Tamiya lacquers, therefore I need an airbrush capable of handling everything else. I am a beginner and an out of the box modeller, I will not be spraying anything like alclad etc, just Tamiya acrylics.

Here is what i was considering purchasing from HLJ.com;

- Tamiya Spray-Work Compact Air Compressor.
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74533

- Tamiya Spray-Work HG Single Airbrush. (one of the 4 airbrushes Tamiya recommends for use with the compact air compressor)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74519

So I am wondering;

Is this a suitable set up, and will I need to purchase any supplementary parts for it such as a "water trap" etc.?
Is the compact air compressor any good?
I live in Canada, will the AC adapter be compatible with our outlets?
What type of shipping cost will I be looking at?

Thank you very much in advance to any who responds as I realize this is a complex question.

Thanks,
mgt
mgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Re: Advise for purchasing Tamiya Airbrush

I can comment on the airbrush as I have had the same one for nearly 5 years. It works well for Tamiya acrylics, in fact it's about all I use in it, or sometimes Vallejo Model Air colours. It can spray a reasonably fine line and by turning the needle out at the back of the brush it will spray wider for larger areas. Simple to use and more importantly, simple to clean. Good quality construction, built to last. Never had any real problems with mine, although it sometimes blocks when unused for long periods of time and I haven't cleaned it out properly after the last spraying session. Usually a good 'deep' clean restores it back to normal service...
The compressor you listed looks a fairly simple affair. 3 Litres per minute air output isn't much.. You may find yourself waiting for the air to build up while you are spraying, as the airbrush will use it faster than the compressor can make it. I made that mistake when I bought my first compressor and whilst it's not bad at first it becomes more and more frustrating as time goes on. In the end I upgraded to a better one with good power and a moisture trap. Best purchase I ever made and it's still going strong after 19 years..!!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Macio4ever
AF Enthusiast

I use two Tamiya AB - HG and HG-SF nad can recommend them very, very much. Top quality (like Iwata), easy to use with acrylics, laquers and enamels.

I had single AB as my first one. Good quality but single airbrush is much less versatile than double one.

I have Gunze and Iwata as well I would rate them the same in terms of craftmanship and performance quality.

As for compressor I would buy a piston one with pressure regulator. I use Iwata Power Jet Lite and it was a great choice!

Macio4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
TurboGuru
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macio4ever View Post
I had single AB as my first one. Good quality but single airbrush is much less versatile than double one.
My first airbrush was dual-action .... the only problem I had was when painting the larger parts such as the body.... I found it difficult to control the flow of paint and started developing hand cramps.

The dual action certainly has its place when it comes to fine detail of course... but for painting larger bodies it doesn't work out too well for me....

I decided to also buy a single action airbrush and found it to be a lot less taxing on my hand, it also helped that the product was always coming out at a constant rate unlike the dual action where my fingers would constantly move.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Macio4ever
AF Enthusiast

I am suprised with your opinion about single airbrush. I would never go back to single one due to lack of any air control.
Tamiya HG/HG-SF has preset handle which allows to set desired amount of paint sprayed.

Macio4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I am suprised with your opinion about single airbrush. I would never go back to single one due to lack of any air control.
Tamiya HG/HG-SF has preset handle which allows to set desired amount of paint sprayed.
I agree with Macio... I use the Tamiya HG Wide trigger (double action) as well as my single action and I find it very comfortable to hold in the hand. It does have the facility to set the trigger so that the spray pattern is at a set width, but I never use that feature. I think you just get a 'feel for it...
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
TurboGuru
AF Regular

Quote:
Well I suppose I must be holding the airbrush incorrectly, I get cramp in my hand because my finger is pressing the pin down to release air pressure and then pulling the pin halfway or full depending on how much product I want to go through.

The problem is that I cant keep my hand in this position for long, (cramp) and so my fingers loose control over how far back the trigger/pin is producing uneven paint.

I find dual action perfect for small parts and touchups but that's down to the fact that I don't have to paint those areas for long enough to endure cramp.

I'm determined to practice with it once more since you guys seem to be getting on well with dual action.... I have some parts that need priming so tonight will be the perfect opportunity.

Last edited by drunken monkey; 01-04-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: consolidation
TurboGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

The Tamiya airbrushes are very good and I am sure you can buy with confidence (apparently they are made for Tamiya by Iwata which would explain a lot )

However, I seriously recommend that you give that compressor a miss! I have a Tamiya mini compressor and it's basically ..... sh*t not enough pressure by far!

Go for the Iwata Macio suggests of you can afford it or, even better if space and noise is not an issue, get a regular 24 litre workshop compressor similar to this. Not very practical if you are modeling in your living room but if you have a workshop area then it's a very cool solution.

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuru View Post
Well I suppose I must be holding the airbrush incorrectly, I get cramp in my hand because my finger is pressing the pin down to release air pressure and then pulling the pin halfway or full depending on how much product I want to go through.

The problem is that I cant keep my hand in this position for long, (cramp) and so my fingers loose control over how far back the trigger/pin is producing uneven paint.

I find dual action perfect for small parts and touchups but that's down to the fact that I don't have to paint those areas for long enough to endure cramp.

I'm determined to practice with it once more since you guys seem to be getting on well with dual action.... I have some parts that need priming so tonight will be the perfect opportunity.
I understand now your problem. I too don't get on with the normal double action with the button on the top. I find my fingers ache no matter how I hold it. I use the Tamiya HG Wide with the trigger not the button, it's so much more comfortable to use and no aching fingers..!!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
mgt
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the replies and comments thus far!

If I had unlimited funds I would definately want to get the Tamiya HG "Trigger Type" Airbrush as shown by stevenoble, unfortunately it a little to pricey for me as it cost's nearly $200 on HLJ.com vs. the HG single action costing about $75. Also, dual action seems like it would require a fair bit of skill to use whereas a single action would produce a consistant flow/output, which is easy for a beginner like myself.

My main concern is that compact compressor, how weak is 3L/min? In terms of how much painting could I do before I would have to wait for pressure to be built up and how long what it take until I could begin painting again? And do I need the "moisture trap" or any other accessory?

Thanks very much,
mgt
Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt View Post

My main concern is that compact compressor, how weak is 3L/min? In terms of how much painting could I do before I would have to wait for pressure to be built up and how long what it take until I could begin painting again? And do I need the "moisture trap" or any other accessory?

Thanks very much,
mgt
To put it into perspective, the one I bought all those years ago puts out about 24L/min. The 'newer' Iwata models produce 34L/min. One I was looking at recently as a replacement for mine when the time comes produces 50L/min...
I've never had to wait for my current one to 'catch up' so to speak, but my previous model that produced 6L/min I was always waiting, which becomes annoying after a while. You don't need all that extra power, but if you can get a good one from the start it will pay for itself long term. A lesser model will suffice for a while but you'll spend money again when you want to upgrade and trust me you will want to upgrade eventually.
Another alternative is to get a large cannister of Oxygen and use that for silent and constant pressure. All you need add is an air hose and regulator so that you can alter the spraying pressure, also a moisture trap as well would be a good idea. It will work out cheaper than a compressor and when it's empty you simply phone them up and they collect the empty one and bring another full one... Worth considering if you're on a budget..???
Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
TurboGuru
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
I understand now your problem. I too don't get on with the normal double action with the button on the top. I find my fingers ache no matter how I hold it. I use the Tamiya HG Wide with the trigger not the button, it's so much more comfortable to use and no aching fingers..!!

Steve - finally someone who understands the problem I have been having!

That airbrush looks great...

I have the following kit:

Iwata CR Airbrush
Iwata SAR Airbrush
Iwata SmartJet Compressor

I have seen some Iwata airbrushes with triggers, I'm guessing it isn't possible to find some sort of attachment.... I guess I could buy the Tamiya one?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

There's already an Iwata like what you have with the trigger system. It's not cheap but it's a real beauty. Something I'd look at if the Tamiya breaks, as spare parts are a lot easier to obtain on the Iwata in the UK instead of ordering from Japan...

Iwata Revolution TR2
Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

I'm also a happy user of Tamiya HG trigger type for quite some time, and my compressor starts to act up before my finger gets tired. I can use it that long without any problem.

>>mgt
I checked Amazon Japan's reviews, and it seems that the noise is the most common complaint for the Tamiya Compact Compressor, but the performance seems okay (for the size and price). A Japanese blogger says that it's adequate for small parts, but not so for a large surface.

I just used Hobby World Japan's shipping estimator, and it says roughly 3200 (EMS) or 1580 (SAL) yen to send those two items to Houston, TX. I'm sure the estimate will be close for Canada.
HW offers 6% off discount, plus 5% credit (742 yen can be used for your next shopping at HWJapan), so you'll save more than a few hundred yen at HWJapan.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
mgt
AF Newbie

Thanks very much guys! very informative and much appreciated!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling