Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100
Advice please: Revell McLaren Mercedes MP4-20

Calling all F1 buffs

Could you please point me in the direction of the best way to detail the Revell McLaren Mercedes MP4-20 kit from Revell?

Let's assume (not really true) that money is no object on this. What detail kits should I get (including decals) to make the best job - technically wise - out of this kit?

Is the S27 kit better / different from the Acustion set? Are there any others? Anything missing from all of them?

I'd really appreciate your help on this as I don't know F1 at all and it's hard as a novice to wade through all the upgrade stuff out there.

MANY thanks in advance - for better or worse, I have decided that this will be my first motor sport build.

However, it's not too late - if you think this is a dumb way to start into MSports, please tell me

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
ales
Forza Schumacher

Re: Advice please: Revell McLaren Mercedes MP4-20

I am sure Phil will give you a good overview of the detail sets available

I would like to say, however, that while it's not a dumb way to start building race car models, it's certainly not the easiest, there are better options out there that will give you more satisfaction and less frustration.

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales
I am sure Phil will give you a good overview of the detail sets available
I sure hope he reads this, then
This going to be my 2023 Comp entry - I'm starting early to be sure I finish in time

PS You have PM Alex

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
ales
Forza Schumacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
I sure hope he reads this, then
This going to be my 2023 Comp entry - I'm starting early to be sure I finish in time

PS You have PM Alex
He reads everything with McLaren in the title!

P.S. I know where you live!

Old 05-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Oooo, clever- an excuse for starting another build! I don't have anything going yet for the 2023 comp!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales
I would like to say, however, that while it's not a dumb way to start building race car models, it's certainly not the easiest, there are better options out there that will give you more satisfaction and less frustration.
I fully agree with him, for the manufacturer (excuse I haven't understand well, who is the producer of the Revell McLaren Mercedes MP4-20 kit from Revell :icon 16 but mainly for the subject choice: I'm sure you'll have a lot lot lot more satisfaction and less tribulations (and less "help needed topics" with related bloody wounded pride ) only by choosing a Ferrari, also from fuc### revell : smokin:
Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
ales
Forza Schumacher

Philip, stop messing about! You can't possibly have missed this thread!

Steve, before suggesting an alternative, let me ask you this - do you want necessarily to build an F1 kit, or any race car?

Old 05-19-2006, 02:14 AM   #8
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

First thing you will need to build the Revell McLaren MP4/20 is a lot of motivation! The kit only bears a passing resemblance to the race car in many ways. The more you look the more you see wrong. Not only details like the too wide airbox and inaccurate mid wing attachment but also basic stuff like no separation between wing elements. A lot of scratch building will be required whatever race or test car you choose to build. I think what Revell have done is mould a very early preseason test car then supply late season decals. So to echo Alex's sentiments, perhaps another F1 machine might be a better place to start if you haven’t built an open wheeler before.

Looking at pictures of both the Acustion and S27 sets, neither seem terribly helpful. They could have tried to correct some of the errors in the kit like lack of cockpit side fins or central brace on the real wing, but nope. I did notice that the seatbelt harness in the SMS Opel Astra PE set would be perfect for the Mac, so if you plan to build an Astra that could be an option. I expect I will buy the S27 set over the Acustion version, mainly just for the segmented brake disk faces. Check them both out on the MediaMix site.

All negativity aside there is plenty of potential in the kit but it’s more a case of applying you skills and ingenuity rather than a bunch of aftermarket stuff. The decals in the kit look excellent if you like the post West scheme (like I do). And there are aftermarket decals for the tobacco sponsorship and the interim 2006 orange test livery which is gorgeous to a McLaren fan. The only advice I can give is gather references and see how fastidious you want to be correcting all the little mistakes.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling