Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Rover > 800/820/825/827
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 10:38 PM   #1
qab5b
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to qab5b
Anyone?

Anyone here?

1988 BMW E30 M3 (fun)
1988 Sterling 825 (commuter car)

qab5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 11:03 PM   #2
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Exclamation can't resist...

Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
(Sorry, QAB! )
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 02:55 AM   #3
AFSilverstar
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to AFSilverstar Send a message via AIM to AFSilverstar
hrm didnt think their would be a forum for this car, anyways yea I have a Sterling 825SL , nice car and all, electronics could be a lot better, i guess thats why it only lasted a year and half in the US. My dad just recently gave it to me, it only has 33k miles on it so i still got a while to go, i like the features it has for its time, and its not to slow either
AFSilverstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:59 PM   #4
tsunami racer
AF Newbie

i never though anyone would post anything on the unloved sterlings. i bought a 827 SLi as a third car cuz they were so darn cheap. i drive it ocassionally and i think they're great! the electrical gremlins get annoying but the honda engine is bulletproof (the honda tranny is a whole different story).

two simple things to vastly improve performance:
#1- take off the air filter box cover - this allows the engine to breath, and it sounds great under heavy throttle.

#2 - high flow cat-back exhaust (ok, not easy or cheap - bout $300, but well worth it)

these two changes made all the difference for me. anyone else done anything to their 825/827's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sterling 1a.jpg (48.0 KB, 123 views)
tsunami racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
AFSilverstar
AF Newbie

yea I took the air filter box off, should I just cut the hose and put a cone k&n filter on? Is the exhaust worth it?
Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 AM   #6
tsunami racer
AF Newbie

i thought it was pretty tight under the hood, especially to get a K&N cone inbetween that battery and distributor. if you can get it to work, more power to ya (literally). i think taking the top of the box off works fine. you get cold air from the top, as well as through the factory ducting in the bottom.

the exhaust is worth it, i think, but only if your car is in great mechanical shape. i took it to my local performance shop where they put in a large diameter cat-back pipe with an AMG silencer in back. getting rid of the large center muffler really helps scoot exhaust along. and the V6 makes a great growl, unlike buzzy 4-cylinders. besides, it improves the rear end appearance of the car too (see below), as the Wizard of Oz Tin Man-looking factory exhaust is horrible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sterling rear a.jpg (51.8 KB, 120 views)
Old 10-02-2002, 12:43 AM   #7
AFSilverstar
AF Newbie

Well my car only has almost 34k miles......the transmission, like most Sterlings sucks not including the bad electronics. When switching some gears it might slip or something, mines auto also.....So I dont know if the money would be worth it, let alone finding parts and all for it? I had to special order the upper radiator hose from some website, cost about 90 or so because the freaking built in thermostat or whatever.......I think I might just be better off getting a new car later, who knows....It is a V6 but I heard it only has 140 hp? When it says 160 hp....
Old 10-02-2002, 10:29 AM   #8
tsunami racer
AF Newbie

yeah, i had to have my auto tranny rebuilt a couple months ago. seems like this is the death sentence for most sterlings, as it cost me $1500, the resale value of most sterlings. parts are easy, as i believe its pretty much the same ones in the acura legends. but unless you really love these cars and are willing to stick by them for the long haul, your 1500 is probably better served towards a down on a new car.

i dunno about horsepower, but i find the 827's are rather quick and comparable in acceleration "feel" to modern V6 camrys and accords. the sport mode button (always on when i drive) holds the revs to peak HP for good top end. but there's also a good amount of low end torque for a quick getaway. where this car shines, especially with a good set of tires, is high speed cruising. i've done long distance trips at a steady 85mph+ and this car is very well balanced and behaves really well in the wind.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:44 PM   #9
AFSilverstar
AF Newbie

my dad said he had work on the transmission done, but like it kinda still slips a little. I think ill just drive this car for a while i mean only has 33k miles, while I save for a new car.....the 825 SL is preety quick, seems like it has a lot of torque also, I like it.....I mean for a first car its really nice and great...
Old 10-18-2003, 07:54 AM   #10
teky
AF Newbie

uk spek for the sterling is 169bhp, it does not have the Si or SLi badge but the sterling badge only its top of the range 2.5 or 2.7, top speed 150mph restricted, only made in automatic gear box, the leather interior one has a new price tag of £33,000, gearbox probs normally start at around 100,000 k if its not been serviced well other wise they can last forever, extreamly nice cars
teky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #11
almsfan22
AF Newbie

Tranny

I just bought a 87 sterling 825 with 80,000 miles on it. It was a steal for the price and all, but the transmission sucks. Ive had my mechanic recommmend a rebuild, is it typical for the trannys on the sterlings to suck? Is it worth keeping with a rebuild, or should i get rid of it? Thanks for any help!
almsfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
okunade
AF Newbie

Re: Anyone?

Please could anyone help me to get Operating Manual for Rover 620 si 1995 Model.
Most grateful for your anticipated assistance

okunade@yahoo.com
okunade is offline   Reply With Quote