Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Syclone | Typhoon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
mildred03
AF Newbie

Question What Turbocharger is used on Syclone?

Hey again, been doin some research on the Syclone and Typhoon engines, I've decided to just install a turbocharger and intercooler on my 03 ZRX, now it's just a matter of finding them, any leads would help!
mildred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
Metradyne
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Metradyne Send a message via MSN to Metradyne Send a message via Yahoo to Metradyne
Re: What Turbocharger is used on Syclone?

Mach performance has a turbo kit for the 4.3 V-6. Not cheap, but it's the only kit for these trucks I know of.

www.machperformance.com
Metradyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
turbodog
AF Newbie

They have a Mitsubishi TD06-17G. Some things to consider:
- Syclone/Typhoon (SyTy) engines have lower mechanical compression (8.35:1) eutectic pistons and nodular iron main bearing caps. Putting 14.7 PSI to a stock 4.3 will frag it in short order (several SyTy owners found this out when dealers replaced their engines with generic 4.3 short blocks).

- You need the ECU for a SyTy (or turbo sunbird) as well

- you can generally find parts for sale at www.syty.net

'92 GMC Typhoon, '83 Porsche 944
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Metradyne
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Metradyne Send a message via MSN to Metradyne Send a message via Yahoo to Metradyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog
They have a Mitsubishi TD06-17G. Some things to consider:
- Syclone/Typhoon (SyTy) engines have lower mechanical compression (8.35:1) eutectic pistons and nodular iron main bearing caps. Putting 14.7 PSI to a stock 4.3 will frag it in short order (several SyTy owners found this out when dealers replaced their engines with generic 4.3 short blocks).

- You need the ECU for a SyTy (or turbo sunbird) as well

- you can generally find parts for sale at www.syty.net

I imagine there'd be tons of retrofitting to do if you put a Syclone turbo on a 03 Sonoma. Best kit for 96+ S-Series is the one by Mach Performance. The kit is made to work with stock 4.3L internals.
Metradyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 AM   #5
turbodog
AF Newbie

You're right. The SyTy intake won't fit on vortec heads without substantial modification to both the intake and the heads. Many folks have done it, and there is at least one guy (go to syty.net and search username jwaller) who does it 'for hire'. It ain't cheap. So, you're looking at pistons, rods (stockers are weak link in SyTys), 4-bolt conversion, intake and head mods, ECU and wiring, tranny controller if you're running a 4L60E. I tend to agree with Metradyne.

'92 GMC Typhoon, '83 Porsche 944
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:16 PM   #6
mildred03
AF Newbie

Thanks Metradyne and turbodog, I appreciate the replies and am still considering the project except I wasn't realizing the depth of the build-up; (this is definitely something for a professional and experienced mechanic to work on since i'm only able to work on bolt-ons and have lack of tools) Definitely will keep you posted and again, thanks for the suggestions.
mildred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

how much moding would i have to do to a 95 blazer with the 4.3l. i'm thinking of switching it out and i don't know if i should put a 350 in to a turbo charged 4.3l. from a typhoon. the entire motor with intercooler. can it be done and whats the price?
99 chevy s10 zr2, 6" lift, duel exhaust. 5 speed.
metallica21156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
SHAWNEXLEY
AF Newbie

how much are you willing to spend a stock 350 is a direct bolt in if youre interested there is a place here in tampa that builds 350 turbo charged engine pushing about 850 horeses
SHAWNEXLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:27 AM   #9
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

it was more for future reference. i plan to put a stock in and later on up grade to turbo.
99 chevy s10 zr2, 6" lift, duel exhaust. 5 speed.
metallica21156 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Syclone | Typhoon