Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #1
bdub
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Mustang SC on a stock Viper?

Thinking about purchasing a used Viper in the next 18 monthes, and don't have the money for "authentic" Viper upgrades. I know I can make it fit, would a off the shelf supercharger for a camaro/mustang work on a stock viper? Something around 10-12 pounds of boost? Is a Viper intake/mass air a similar setup to the pony cars? Would the stock parts reliably hold up to this?

Thanks, Bdub
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
I'm guessing not.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

It won't work for several reasons.

First of all, the volume of air moved by the Mustang blower is not sufficient for a Viper's very long engine block. There is a high likelihood that you would starve the back cylinders (which would probably be fatal). Detonation can be fatal on a Viper engine.

Secondly, there are many who try to add blowers to Vipers with limited success. The main reason that they fail is because they don't change out the ignition and fuel management computer. If done correctly, this would be one of the largest investments that you would make.

Finally, most Mustang applications don't use sufficient intercoolers. This is absolutely where the largest investment should be made (and where most people neglect). I could go on about the need to drop compression, hypereutectic pistons and more, but I won't.

The bottom line is don't do it. Save your money for driving school and don't worry about building a dyno queen. I hope that this answers your questions.

JMO.

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Whitebread
AF Regular

I say you don't bother with a S/C untill you learn how to drive the car and can push it to it's limits in terms of lap times, drag times or whatever you do. Also, suspension and drive train mods would probably be better wiht a viper. 500HP and 400+ pound feet of torque is a crap load.
Whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster