Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 01:31 AM   #1
glenn bayard
AF Newbie

2003 3Series Coupe Facelift?

What is probability that 2003 3 Series Coupe will have revised front/rear, given 2002 sedan received same? I love current sytle but amber turn signals are unattractive vs current clear on M3, plus(personal opionion) rear bumper to busy/unattractive. Thanks.
glenn bayard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 02:05 PM   #2
F20C
AF Enthusiast

The current model life runs till MY2004 I believe. So there is still 3 years left. Chances are coupe will receive minor treatment as well.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 09:45 PM   #3
jinushaun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jinushaun
Thumbs down

God I hope not!!

Its appearence has been softened and it doesn't look as agressive anymore. It's interesting to note that it's only the saloon and touring versions were changed, and the "sportier-looking" coupes remained the same. Maybe they're trying to give it a family look?!? The wider grill (like 7-series, try to be classier?) and curvy headlamps suggest this. With the exception of the cosmetic changes, I like the other updates they made (ie: better streering/handling, cd). What happened to SMG? I thought the 2002 were gonna get this? Maybe I'm reading too many UK magazine...

I hope the redesigned 2004 3 series (E69? Can't remember) doesn't look like any of the other new BMW cars I've seen. New Z3? X Coupe? The E65 7 series with the yellow front turn signals on the TOP? The E65 with the strip of light in the back reminds me of a Cadilac...sick! Though I praise BMW's effort to make they cars more distinguishable from one another (ie: E36 3 and E39 5), I hope they don't butcher up the looks. At least keep the 3 series agressive and sporty looking--I don't want to be driving Ms Daisy or be mistaken for a family car any time soon.

Jinushaun: Nation Leprechaun
jinushaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 04:18 PM   #4
surfskier
AF Newbie

I agree! I don't like the new front-end for the 2002 sedan. It just looks too wimpy, too simple, and less classy. If they want to give a similar look to the coupe, they need to add a more aggressive front spoiler.
Also, the new 7 series body doesn't look too exciting. In that class, I would have to save that the S-Class looks the best followed by the A8 and then the new 7. The new 7 doesn't look as sporty as the one it replaces and what is up with the weird looking rear deck-lid!
surfskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 07:01 PM   #5
glenn bayard
AF Newbie

Thanks for your reply re 3 series sedan update, it was much appreciated. Glenn
glenn bayard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 10:00 PM   #6
Ultimateone
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by surfskier
I agree! I don't like the new front-end for the 2002 sedan. It just looks too wimpy, too simple, and less classy. If they want to give a similar look to the coupe, they need to add a more aggressive front spoiler.
Also, the new 7 series body doesn't look too exciting. In that class, I would have to save that the S-Class looks the best followed by the A8 and then the new 7. The new 7 doesn't look as sporty as the one it replaces and what is up with the weird looking rear deck-lid!
I dont think the pics are giving it justice, My friend has saw one and he says it is so much more incredible in person... so I dont know?
Old 10-18-2001, 06:13 PM   #7
jdavis
AF Newbie

re: 3 series aesthetics

Hello All,

I have to agree with a more aggressive front spoiler and trim. Hopefully the next couple of years will result in boosting the current hp to 250+. As a MY2000 328i I'm constantly having to chase S4's. Does anyone know how to eke out 30 more ponies out of the 197hp powerplant? I'm considering a new exhaust, air filter and chip but that might give me 15hp or so. I just am having the damnedest time having to run with the new 330. For all you body style enthusiasts. Check out Hamann's site. Some really incredible front fascia's and skirts. Also, they have a shot of the Hartge 3 which has the M5 engine crammed in it.
Old 10-18-2001, 06:34 PM   #8
F20C
AF Enthusiast

The face-lift version doesn't look that bad in my mind. You can see face-lift sedan on the roads already.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 08:53 PM   #9
Ultimateone
AF Regular

Re: re: 3 series aesthetics

Quote:
Originally posted by jdavis
Hello All,

I'm considering a new exhaust, air filter and chip but that might give me 15hp or so.
Definitely do all those mods, you should be able to at least get over 15hp.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:17 AM   #10
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

i hate how the facelifts look... i'll keep my '00 thanks
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:39 PM   #11
XZLR8
AF Newbie

I've seen a few of the new '02 3-series sedans on the lots and I'm not that impressed with the new front end. Maybe it will grow on me.... but then again, should a $40K car HAVE to grow on ya?

I have a '01 325Ci convertible. The very first thing I did was swap out the amber turnlights for clear lens ones. Much improved. I think the new '02 coupes & convertibles are coming with the clear lens' now as part of the sport package.
XZLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 10:11 AM   #12
ST325i
AF Newbie

Do you think the owners of the older body style (E36) were thinking the same when they saw the E46? I honestly didn't like the E46 when i first saw it, but now i'm a proud owner of an 01 325. Given time, we will come to appreciate what the BMW designers have come up with.
ST325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:35 PM   #13
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Yeah i actually kinda like it now (contrary to my post above )

i hated how the circle lights looked, that weren't connected... maybe those are only on the 318 compact, or whatever it's called
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:31 PM   #14
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

3 Sedan new sport body kit?

Hey ya'll:

Does anyone know of pics showing the new facelifted sedans with sport package bodywork from the factory? This typically includes the front bumper, wheels, tires, sideskirts, and rear bumper. The sport package on my car as well as that on the '01 sedans is dropdead gorgeous. Hopefully it will spice up a rather bland looking new facia on the new 3 sedan. As for the rear end of these new sedans, I think it looks great.

Here is one pic: http://www.bmwstore.com/new_vehicles...cles/11065.jpg

As a sidenote, the SMG will never be offered in the standard 3 series for marketing reasons (If you want it you have to cough up the dough for an M3)

Thanks

Last edited by ultimatedriver7; 11-03-2001 at 10:27 AM.
ultimatedriver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:33 PM   #15
jinushaun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jinushaun
Re: 3 Sedan new sport body kit?

Quote:
Originally posted by ultimatedriver7
As a sidenote, the SMG will never be offered in the standard 3 series for marketing reasons (If you want it you have to cough up the dough for an M3)
...In the States.

I've talked with BMW and they reiterated that only the M3 will get SMG in the US. As far as I know, SMG will be offered on the standard 3s in the UK. (The best car magazines are from the UK).

Jinushaun: Nation Leprechaun
jinushaun is offline   Reply With Quote