Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 04:12 AM   #1
Banzai
AF Newbie

What engine best fits an NSX?

I dunno whether this topic has been discussed...but who cares.

I read in an issue from Britain's Autocar mag that the 2003 replacement for the decade-old NSX will be MOST likely to have a V-8. But what is unsure is whether the V-8 will be a totally new production from Honda's Japanese factories or whether the V-8 (listen carefully here) will be a detuned MUGEN V-8 engine from its Le Man's program and an estimated power of 300kW. Also, the V-8 is most likely a more powerful clone of the next generation Honda Legend.

Personally, those two choices aren't impressive enough when you compare the NSX to rivals like the Vanquish and Marenello who have something like a 6 litre V-12 and 550bhp engine.

I heard somewhere a while ago that Honda did in fact attempt a full production V-12 engine with a 5 litre capacity but was pulled out at the last minute when the Asian economic crisis hit its hardest in 1997/1998. I wonder whether the 5.0 litre V12 is still in the minds of Honda executives?

So Honda should ditch the V8 and go back to the proposed V12 idea. It makes more logical sense and would definately pose a much more serious threat to Ferrari and Aston Martin.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 10:02 AM   #2
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
Re: What engine best fits an NSX?

Quote:
Originally posted by Banzai
So Honda should ditch the V8 and go back to the proposed V12 idea. It makes more logical sense and would definately pose a much more serious threat to Ferrari and Aston Martin.
i think they should offer the v8 to the currecnt model for now. When it comes time for the 2nd gen NSX, then offer the V12 option.

btw, what's the conversion for kW into hp?

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 11:05 PM   #3
Banzai
AF Newbie

I'm not sure how to convert from kW to hp though. But measuring in kW is more accurate though. Since the Subaru WRX STi can muster 0-60mph in 4.4 sec with a 206kW engine that also musters 280 ponies, I suspect that with 300kW, you could be looking at 450 hp estimated (and that's even more power than a 5.5 V8 engine from the M5).
Old 12-21-2001, 11:15 PM   #4
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I'm more interested in the potential of an IMA NSX than just using a bigger engine.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 11:28 PM   #5
Banzai
AF Newbie

Yes, I understand that Honda wants to prove to the world that it's "less is more" policy is better. The 1st NSX proved that a V6 engine can tackle the best from Europe. But imagine how much better the NSX will be in most aspects of performance (better acceleration, ratio gears that are shimmered by hand and are closer to each other, etc) if it had that donk (read: V-12).

Don't forget, competition is gonna be much tougher for the NSX. If I had $90000, I'd rather spend it on the facelifted NSX, no doubt. But even the VW W12 supercar has a W12 engine which is even more powerful than a V12.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:51 PM   #6
SikB
AF Newbie

I agree with you guys but unfortunatly Honda dosn't. Honda is unfortunatly a very conservative company especially in the USDM.
SikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 01:53 PM   #7
91HBSi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 91HBSi Send a message via AIM to 91HBSi Send a message via Yahoo to 91HBSi
To tell you the truth, I don't want to see the NSX with a V12. First off, that would kinda be the opposite of what Honda does. Secondly, wouldn't that hurt (not only fuel economy) the reliability of the car?

I wouldn't mind seeing it come with a small displacement V8 though

Former PureHonda.com member since Dec. 00

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Pilippians ONe21
91HBSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 11:01 AM   #8
Hanguk87
AF Fanatic

I say under 4 liter DOHC VTEC V8 engine producing atleast 450 horsepower.
Hanguk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 06:11 PM   #9
Banzai
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by 91HBSi
To tell you the truth, I don't want to see the NSX with a V12. First off, that would kinda be the opposite of what Honda does. Secondly, wouldn't that hurt (not only fuel economy) the reliability of the car?

I wouldn't mind seeing it come with a small displacement V8 though
I wouldn't mind telling you this: it's very likely a V8 engine will be on the next NSX.

And when you said reliability...is it really necessary in a supercar? I'm sure people don't buy a Ferrari or Aston Martin for the sake of reliability. Remember, people who have $90000 on hand are people who are likely to be ably to afford to buy more than one Honda NSX or 550 Maranello. I admit, a V-12 is hard to live with cause they're notorious for gobbling too much fuel. But again, is reliability really necessary in a supercar?
Old 12-30-2001, 08:58 PM   #10
91HBSi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 91HBSi Send a message via AIM to 91HBSi Send a message via Yahoo to 91HBSi
Quote:

I wouldn't mind telling you this: it's very likely a V8 engine will be on the next NSX.

And when you said reliability...is it really necessary in a supercar? I'm sure people don't buy a Ferrari or Aston Martin for the sake of reliability. Remember, people who have $90000 on hand are people who are likely to be ably to afford to buy more than one Honda NSX or 550 Maranello. I admit, a V-12 is hard to live with cause they're notorious for gobbling too much fuel. But again, is reliability really necessary in a supercar?
I know that people don't buy a supercar for reliability, but people DO buy hondas for reliability. And the first 90k I get I am buying one

Former PureHonda.com member since Dec. 00

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Pilippians ONe21
91HBSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 05:45 PM   #11
Banzai
AF Newbie

Yes, I admit that Honda does have a strong reputation for both quality and reliability. And I do admit that it would be nice if that reputation can be passed on to the NSX.

And I do think Honda has the technology to work out the fuel problems on a productioin V-12. Remember that Honda car that has amazingingly low fuel consumption? (I forgot the name of it though). How cool would that be if Honda was able to inject its newfound technology to a V-12 NSX?
Old 01-07-2002, 10:24 AM   #12
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
Quote:
How cool would that be if Honda was able to inject its newfound technology to a V-12 NSX?
let's see the v8 version first...it should be soon b/c alot of sources say all jap cars are going to break the 280 hp barrier

also, why is it in japan they say hp in ps?
what does ps mean?

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:47 PM   #13
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
now now

A VTEC V8 would be sweet since the V6 can already get the car up to 175mph. o by the way Aston martins have huge curb weights so they really aren't in the same sort of area as a NSX. the Aston's are hand made extreme luxury items. NSX has a bit more sport to it. plus the fact its Asian and that means HKS and you can do whatever you want to it and get those 1000 horses you always dreamed about. Altho there is a company in england that'll tune your aston martin i have no idea why you'd want to do that tho.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:05 AM   #14
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Banzai a V12 powerplant will probaly propel NSX to the 250K price mark.

When Honda said their target is Ferrari. They meant F360 and it's successer not Marenello.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:18 AM   #15
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Honda would be much better off if they come out with something innovative but yet conservative. Instead of following the pack by adding more displacement.

Honda Dualnote concept is what next generation NSX will be based off.

Honda has repeatedly said they think V6 is enough to do what they want to accomplished. I wouldn't be at all suprise to see that same 3.5L V6 powerplant along with 1 eletric motor on each front wheel. Expect 385-415 hp out of that setup. That would be your more affordable NSX with price tag past the 110K barrier. There might be a limited Le Man edition with the Mugen V8 too. This setup can be tune for 500 hp. However this one would probaly cost an arm and leg. Certainly no less than 220K in my mind.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote