Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 06:32 PM   #46
sgvprelude
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sgvprelude
Re: Think the current NSX is too expensive? Read this.

Hey trans_nsx

Don't forget the new corvettes awesome new technology!

LEAFSPRINGS!!

according to this site http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml

new technology:
keyless access with push start, dvd navigation

IMO your paying for a plastic car with a big motor.
sgvprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #47
NSX-R
AF Regular

I think you mean the nsx-r does the quarter mile in 12.8
NSX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #48
PeTroL420
AF Newbie

I've been a Honda fan since I've been 12. I'm 30 now. I've always had a personal bias for Honda since they've always done things their way. From the humble beginning of Soichiro Honda putting gas engines on bicycles after WWII to Honda being the second largest car manufacturer in Japan today. I think I know a little about Honda. With that said, I must say that the NSX is an overpriced outdated underpowered machine. When the car was introduced in 1990, it was a technological marvel. It was the first production car to be made entirely out of aluminum and the first production car to have Variable Valve Timing (VTEC). Honda achieved the power to weight ratio they desired and extensively tweaked the handling on the track with the late, great Ayrton Senna, one of the best Formula 1 drivers of all time. When first introduced, the NSX was an amazing car that put shame to the best Europe had to offer. But that was then, this is now. The minor updates, and I mean minor haven't been enough to keep the NSX the badass it use to be. The competition has way surpassed the NSX and left it eating their dust. Hell, even the Subaru WRX STI or Mitsu EVO MR can keep pace with an NSX for way less money. For the price of what an NSX costs today, roughly $90,000, you could get a new Porsche Carerra S, Dodge Viper GTS, Maserati Coupe, the upcoming Aston Martin AMV8, and my favorite bang for the buck, a new Corvette. All the cars I have mentioned have way more horsepower and except the Maserati could spank on an NSX and they all roughly cost the same, except the Vette. I think people have a misconception that these cars have bad handling. These people must not read mags like Car & Driver or Road & Track religiously. All the cars I've mentioned handle excellently and would give an NSX a run for its money around a track. Someone mentioned earlier that the new Vette uses Leaf Springs. They're not the regular leaf springs like those found on Trucks, they're composite transverse leaf springs. To tell you the truth, I don't know what advanatages they have but they must work because the Vette handles great. a few years ago, Car & Driver took a Viper GTS and challenged Cycle World to a dual around a track. They used a Kawasaki ZX-10. Around the track, The Viper was faster than the bike. With all this said, Honda needs to get off its ass and start producing cars that offer real usable power. But I think I'll be dissapointed with Honda. Although the new RL has 300 ponies, It still uses a V6 and no matter how technologically advanced that engine is, its no match for a V8. I also hear that the new NSX will stick with a V6 and have some kind of hybrid technology which is highly likely since Honda is touting it's new Accord hybrid V6 as the best compromise between performance and gas mileage. Oh yeah, to all the Honda fanboys and NSX owners, please no flaming. I'm just being objective.
PeTroL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #49
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeTroL420
Hell, even the Subaru WRX STI or Mitsu EVO MR can keep pace with an NSX for way less money. .
I really want to see either of those cars maintain 170 MPH for an hour.
By the way the new Corvette couldn't do it (stock) either! The chip
thats in it wouldn't allow it without re-burning it! ( that is so a police
interceptor could stop it ) thats Sucks but it's the case! Also the case
with Many cars made by GM.

Yes, it's time for a change, And Honda agrees The replacement for the
NSX makes its Debut the end of this year. The HSC comes out about
October (if the date hasn't changed)

Last edited by yellownsx; 01-13-2005 at 10:01 PM.
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #50
AcesHigh
Prelude Guy

Send a message via AIM to AcesHigh
Re: Re: Think the current NSX is too expensive? Read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellownsx
I really want to see either of those cars maintain 170 MHP for an hour
Agreed! Straight line acceleration isn't everything. In fact, its quite boring to watch.

1993 Mazda Rx-7 Touring
Ricer Extraordinaire
AcesHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #51
PeTroL420
AF Newbie

Quote:

Well, Ok. The Mitsu or the Subie wouldn't be able to reach the top speed of an NSX (which is 168mph, btw) but they would be able to keep pace from stoplight to stoplight. Also, it's not like the NSX could get up to 168mph just like that. You'd need quite a bit of space to get to that speed. Let's put it this way. If the NSX were to come around turn 4 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it wouldn't be able to reach top speed before turn 1. You'd need more straightaway because 224 lb-ft of torque isn't enough twisting power.

Also, what do you mean about the chip and re-burning it? I didn't get that part.
PeTroL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #52
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Think the current NSX is too expensive? Read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeTroL420
Also, what do you mean about the chip and re-burning it? I didn't get that part.
If you push a stock out of the box Corvette ZO6 to 150 MPH try to hold it....You can't! The computer won't let you! The computer will slow you down and you will at some point be maintaining something like 120 MPH...or less!. GM has this "feature" built into the car so that a police interceptor will be able to catch it. GM knows that a police interceptor could not keep pace with this car so has robed the computer of the ability to maintain high speeds. For now, if you reburn the chip you can get all of the performance you deserveout of the car. Now they are starting to build another "feature" into the cars. The American car companies (not sure about the foreign companies yet) are making the computers so that a municiple car will be able to shut down your cars systems so that he does not have to pursue you at high speed. Worse is that it is not just ONE chip that you can reburn. there are suppose to be several in it so that if you change the main chip there are backup systems to shut you down.This "feature" was started in 2004 so that the "guns", if you will, won't be in use for a few more years.....Stick with older cars!

Also...I can reach 170..I just did a simple exhaust change!
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:18 PM   #53
V T E C H
AF Enthusiast

NSX is an amazing car, there is one yellow one that is in my area, i see it from time to time... amazing. As for preformance, i think it is a great value, its like an econmic super car. I would get one just for looks, and then mod it cuz they look so sweet
V T E C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:37 PM   #54
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:
When the NSX first showcased Ferrari didn't have a car that was as fast.
The Ferrari F40 is faster.

Last edited by Jaguar D-Type; 07-22-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:38 PM   #55
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

check here for information on the new Corvette Z06

New Corvette Z06

Last edited by Jaguar D-Type; 10-08-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #56
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:
WRONG! it Was a Road and Track artical and suprisingly the NSX DID place 3rd. Vipers are SUPER cars in a straight line but they are ZERO on a curved track. They had to slow the car down to do ANYTHING in a curve, This is where an NSX really shines, the car might as well be on rails as far as cornering.
I can show you a track in Wisconsin that a Ferrari, a ZO6, 2 lotus' and an NSX were racing. The 2 lotus' (which where set up for the track) where first around this twisty turny course, The NSX came in next closely followed by the Corvette........The Ferrari was a full lap behind these cars because the brake fluid had gotten so hot that they had to purge it a few laps back. (true story).

One other thought. I live in the North so my NSX is out normally about 7 months a year. I don't take it out on Cold or rainy days. lets face it, Its hard to admire a pretty car if it needs a wash. That said, I still managed to put 7,000 miles on it last year. My goal is it still have that car with 200K miles on it. So, Yes......I drive the $hit out of it!
The 1998 Viper GTS-R won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the GTS class.

The 1999 Viper GTS-R won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the GTS class and took the overall win at the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Tommy Archer won the 2004 Speed World Challenge GT Drivers’ Championship in a Dodge Viper Competition Coupe.

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/
Old 05-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #57
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvprelude
Hey trans_nsx

Don't forget the new corvettes awesome new technology!

LEAFSPRINGS!!

according to this site http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml

new technology:
keyless access with push start, dvd navigation

IMO your paying for a plastic car with a big motor.
GM's main reason for using the transverse leafs, front and rear, on the C5 (applicable to the C6 as well) is, believe it or not, space.

To do a proper coil-over suspension, the shocks on the car would need to be mounted at a more vertical angle. This would require not only redesigning the lower control arm (no big deal) but also the upper shock tower (big deal.) Said redesigned shock tower would cut into the rear storage compartment (no big deal) and, up front, the engine compartment (REALLY big deal.)

The leafs allow the shocks to be mounted at a slightly more horizontal angle, thereby lowering the shock tower and not cutting into interior space.

As for advantages vs. disadvantages, there aren't many at all. Seperate coil-overs offer you independent wheel adjustments, allowing you to change the spring rate on the front right wheel without affecting the rate on the front left, if you desired. Over-all, the 4 coils may actually be a tad bit lighter than the two big leafs. In reality, those are the only two advantages coil-overs have.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #58
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:

check here for the record-breaking Corvette ZR-1

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_records.htm

Last edited by Jaguar D-Type; 07-22-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:36 AM   #59
ediddy310
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ediddy310 Send a message via Yahoo to ediddy310

I love my nsx and I dont regret getting it.....looked at m3, m5, porches, supras, rx7s, skylines but something just drew me to the nsx... since i was a kid it always looked sexy and exotic.....I am glad and fortunate to finally own one =)
ediddy310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #60
crorc
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran_nsx
two or three years ago motor trend or road and track did a comparison test of the 9 or 10 best and fastest cars made. guess what, on the track (not dragstrip) the nsx i believe got third, and this wasn't just any ordinary nsx but the zanardi edition nsx. can't quite recall who came in 1st and 2nd, but i believe it was one of the ferrari's and a corvette. they said the nsx handles superbly but what it was missing was what all the other cars had, POWER! the viper got like 5th or 6th because it's handling wasn't the best, but it did get first on the acceleration test on i believe. the cars were driven by a professional race car driver so it wasn't biased, i'll try to find the article and put it on here. i would still get the corvette ,s2k, and type-r over an nsx, no question about it. now i can drive change vehicles every day, wouldn't that be nice? instead of just having it sit in the garage because u don't want to add a lot of miles and worried about accidents and crap, i know this because my uncle has an nsx and he pampers her like a queen, the only time i seen him drive it is when he needs to back it out of his garage. if theres any real nsx owners out there, u know what i'm talking about.
So the NSX got third......Gee that's bad in that lineup?

I drive my NSX every chance I get! If it is real bad weather, I drive my ford Explorer, but I always drive the NSX whenever and for whatever reason I can. It is a reliable Honda. I think your post of your Uncle is not the norm. I know many NSX drivers that always drive their cars.

Oh, I got mine for 26k and it is perfect inside and out. and runs perfect...

crorc is offline   Reply With Quote