Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
JustJimBo
AF Newbie

02 Yukon XL Denali AC Compressor Replace?

I have an 02 GMC Yukon XL Denali with 119,000 miles. It has been making a clacking noise at low speed when the AC is on....so I turned off the AC. A couple days later...I turn it back on and it makes no sound at all, but blows no cold air.

I am thinking that the AC compressor has locked up and needs replacing...it looks like a bear to get to...and all the belts, fan, etc. will have to come off....

My question, does replacing the compressor require the system refridgerant to be reclaimed and recharged? Basically trying to figure out if this is a part I can get and bolt on or something I have to take to a shop. Thanks, Jim
JustJimBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
JustJimBo
AF Newbie

Re: 02 Yukon XL Denali AC Compressor Replace?

wow...lots of people looking...but no one answering my question. I guess I'll answer my own question for everyone. Yes, the system has to be recharged when you replace the compressor. So, I guess I'm not going to do this repair myself.
JustJimBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
automps
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to automps Send a message via Yahoo to automps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJimBo View Post
I have an 02 GMC Yukon XL Denali with 119,000 miles. It has been making a clacking noise at low speed when the AC is on....so I turned off the AC. A couple days later...I turn it back on and it makes no sound at all, but blows no cold air.

I am thinking that the AC compressor has locked up and needs replacing...it looks like a bear to get to...and all the belts, fan, etc. will have to come off....

My question, does replacing the compressor require the system refridgerant to be reclaimed and recharged? Basically trying to figure out if this is a part I can get and bolt on or something I have to take to a shop. Thanks, Jim
If it sounds like machine fire the ac compressor blowing up ! Mine did the same thing on and off. Theres a plate in front of compressor and one small ear will fall off and the freon loads up in the compressor makeing the tensioner slap back and forth ! MPS....
automps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
CrazyHorst
AF Regular

I had problems with my 02 earlier on. The compressor would lock up and throw off the mini drive belt.

I changed my own compressor...the environmentally safe refrigerant went byebye and I had it evac'd and recharged later. Approx 100k since that repair and going strong.

Main thing is not to let the AC lines sit "open to atmosphere" for longer than it takes to swap out the compressor. Let the charge-shop know that you changed it as they often add PEG oil to the system to compensate.
2002 GMC Yukon (185k)
2009 G8 - GT (46k)
CrazyHorst is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon