Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Jim woodruff
AF Regular

Rear end re-seal

I want to replace the Diff. seal and axle seals in my WC car. Can someone please post the part numbers for the axle and diff. seals It would be great to have all the parts before hand. Are there any problem area's I need to keep in mind when I start? Thanks
Jim woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Will Help
AF Regular

Re: Rear end re-seal

We could give you parts numbers but they would not necessarily be the same number available to you. Alot also depends on the axle ID in your cars VIN/serial number. You can go on line at Auto Zone, NAPA, O'reilly's and other parts stores an get the parts numbers and prices. There are several companies out there that make seals and probably don't have a common part number between them. Best to check at your locals. Any online parts will be the same parts at each online store contacted.
Will Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Gatorac
AF Regular

I don't think you'll find the axle seals at any local auto parts store. The axle seals are not at the ends. The seals are up at the third member. You will need to remove the third member to access the seals. David has replaced his a couple of times. Hopefully he'll post up a "how to" and the contact info for the seal supplier.

Jim Pomroy

96 Miata track car.
2012 Camaro SS.
Backdraft Racing Cobra #930
92 Miata "LemonDrop"
Saturn V Rocket Miata Crapcan #81
99 Miata daily driver.
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
David Eastman
AF Regular

Jim,

The axle seals are from colman #150-403 they are 18.00 per side. I don't know the hub seal # but they have a CR #on them. You should be able to get them at your local bearing supply store.

As far as tips to install I have several but don't know if they worked until I test them at the next track event.

Easy way to remove the seal. Loosen the three allen screws holding the seal together than slide the axle back in the tube and used it as a ram to knock the seal into the rearend housing.

I distroyed a few seals tring to install them so tip # 2 would be buy several sets untill you get the hang of it.

Tip # 3. when puting the seal together do not tighten the allen bolts and trim the execes rubber off the outside of the seal so it slides into the axle tube with a small about of effort. I used a block of wood to install mine. After getting the seal into the tube tighten the three allen bolts. Tighten the allen bolts will squeeze the rubber seal so it will seal to the inside of the axle tube.

I know this sounds strange but when you get the first seal out it will all make scense.

David
David Eastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
David Eastman
AF Regular

part # change coleman 150-503
Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Jim woodruff
AF Regular

Thanks for all your input.The reseal is complete and your direction were excellent. The biggest challange was cleaning the tubes and recoating to prevent rust Thanks
Jim woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Question... if gear oil supposed to flow all the way down the axle tube? Last year I had a tiny drip from the left hub and had it fixed. Tech said it was normal and he just had to re seal the end where the hub attaches. I'm curious if this is truly an indication that the innter seals are shot. I'm trying to understand how it all goes together. Anyone have pictures or an exploded diagram?

It's my understanding that it's a standard Ford 9" in these cars... assuming that's the case then the mechanic who fixed her up last year has had lots and lots of experience with those.

Thanks,
Brian
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
David Eastman
AF Regular

Jim,
Glad I could help.

Brian,

To answer your question it is yes and no. This is a standard 9 in. diff housing and chunk but the axles and hubs are not standard. The axles are floating. There is a tube inside the axle tube were the seal is installed. Oil should not be in this tube inner tube. If oil is is in the tube than the seal is leaking. Having said that these seals do not work very well so if you have a small amount of oil in the tube its ok. The reason you do not want oil in the tube is because the wheel bearings run in grease like the front wheel bearings. If the hot oil gets to the outer wheel bearings the oil will melt the grease and you will have bearing failure. The only seal on the outer hub is a paper gasket. So if you have oil leaking out of your hubs it is a mixture of diff oil and melted grease. Not good.

David
Old 01-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

when I talked to gary jones last year he found a "new" set of seals that are better than the ones we have been using.

GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue)

eric1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
David Eastman
AF Regular

Speedway has them in there catolog. Gator A/C bought some maybe he will chim in with the part number.

David
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
Gatorac
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastman
Speedway has them in there catolog. Gator A/C bought some maybe he will chim in with the part number.

David
When I opened my diff I found I already had the upgraded seals. They are made by Seals it. http://www.sealsit.com/axlehub.asp Mine had the red ones in it. You can buy replacement rubber seals for them when needed. I suggest pulling the chunk out and seeing what's in there. You might even find a rolled up dish cloth stuffed in there, who knows.

Jim Pomroy

96 Miata track car.
2012 Camaro SS.
92 Miata "LemonDrop"
99 Miata daily driver.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Got the new tripple seals from Panoz... might as well have it redone while she's down for the mods right now.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
Panoz26
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastman View Post
Jim,
Glad I could help.

Brian,

To answer your question it is yes and no. This is a standard 9 in. diff housing and chunk but the axles and hubs are not standard. The axles are floating. There is a tube inside the axle tube were the seal is installed. Oil should not be in this tube inner tube. If oil is is in the tube than the seal is leaking. Having said that these seals do not work very well so if you have a small amount of oil in the tube its ok. The reason you do not want oil in the tube is because the wheel bearings run in grease like the front wheel bearings. If the hot oil gets to the outer wheel bearings the oil will melt the grease and you will have bearing failure. The only seal on the outer hub is a paper gasket. So if you have oil leaking out of your hubs it is a mixture of diff oil and melted grease. Not good.

David

OK, I have a small amount of "fluid" coming from my rear passenger hub - after reading above, it seems as if I need to replace the seals on the hub(s) as well as the Diff seals - is this correct?

thanks
Devin.

Panoz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
David Eastman
AF Regular

Devin,

You are correct. The seals at the end of the axle tubes are grease seals for the bearings and the diff seals are inside the axle tube next to the gear set. Gary Jones is using a different seal than the one I posted earlier in this post. I believe he got them from Coleman.

I am doing a winter tear down as well and replacing all seals and bearings and will post all part numbers later.

David
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
Gatorac
AF Regular

Winter tear down? HA. Down here we run all winter and do a summer tear down.

Jim Pomroy

96 Miata track car.
2012 Camaro SS.
92 Miata "LemonDrop"
99 Miata daily driver.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS